Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3Com hardware - too cheap?

• 27-10-2004 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

I am looking to take my adsl connection wireless. Wnadering around Komplett I came across this "3Com OC Wireless 11g Cable/DSL Gateway 802.11g 54 Mbps, WPA" for €89.

It seems a little cheap compared to the prices I have seem for comperable gear on Amazon or dsl-warehouse.ie

Does anyone know anything about this one, or do they know of a gotcha with this kit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I use the Access Point from that range, and also their 802.11g PC Card. They've both been solid since day one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

I presume you connect the Access Port to the ADSL modem through ethernet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I have that same 3com wireless router and have had no problems with it. I actually got it from a UK website, but they had it on offer with a free pcmcia card as well and for a tenner less than it was to get the router on its own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

3com's networking gear is generally pretty good. A friend has a similar 3com access point and it was working perfectly for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

sliabh wrote:
    I presume you connect the Access Port to the ADSL modem through ethernet?

Yes - indirectly in my case. The modem is a PCI internal one installed in my firewall, and the firewall connects directly to the AP using a crossover cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

I use all 3Com gear at home for my dsl 3crwe454g72
    3com homeconnect ethernet dsl modem
    3c856-95 firewall
    all is running flawlessly for over a year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Thanks for the info. The hardware is ordered, I'll see how it goes sometime during the middle of next week.

Advertisement