Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pes4

Options
  • 27-10-2004 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Two words - Extremly dissapointed.
    I thought PES3 was fantastic. PES4 is doing my head in.
    The "through ball" button has been replaced with a "smash as as far away from the intended player as possible, preferably into an opposing players feet/face, who is not even in the general direction of the intended recipient". So many times have I hit pass/through ball, and the ball would be played to a player of whom I really didnt want it to be passed to. In one situation, It was a two-on-two, And Keane was just in front of his marker, running in on goal. "A through ball and its slotting into the back of the net", I thought. But instead of passing it across the goalmouth into keanes feet, as intended, Duff instead decided to pelt it up towards the corner flag, where Finnan was standing. This is no rare occurance.

Many little bugs such as both teams appearing to wear the same kits when walking down the tunnel. If a shot is to hit the post/go even so much a centimetre wide, the keeper wont dive. Once or twice the ball ricocheted off the post, right into another players feet, and it was an easy goal which could have been prevented with the keeper running out and taking the ball into his hands.

The ball speed reminds me of fifa2004's. At times I thought a white sonic had made his way onto the pitch.

Looks like I'll be playing we:7i for the year. Dissapointing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

5 words - The best PES so far

If you hold down triangle (or X) when passing or through-passing, the pass will go beyond the nearest player and most likely to a player on the wing. If you are passing to a player who is close to you, a short tap is all that's necessary.

The shirt tunnel bug doesn't effect gameplay. The keeper AI is annoying and easy too fool with swerving shortish range free kicks.

I think the pace of the game is just fine and the ball physics are much improved over PES3.

Improved player animations make the game a joy to play. Also 6* difficulty offers a better challenger. PES4 on the Xbox should solve slowdown issues and Xbox Live with add new life to a game that never gets boring.

Goes to show one opinion is never enough ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Quick guys, get the van ready. We've got a deviant to round up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Its troll I tells ya , its got to be.
    I haven't played the game yet , im waiting for the pc version :( , it will be worth it in the end .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

so, tellox, u reckon fifa 2005's better? im thinking of, well im getting one of these 2 titles, which you recommend?

im a fan of fifa, apart from the career mode thing which you cant play on after 5 years. plus no internationals anymore :mad: pes gives you more satisfaction when you score but just doesnt look good.

old trafford looks like old trafford on fifa, on pes it looks like a pancake old trafford made out of cardboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Well i played it, thought it was very much the same as PES3 at first. Only after playing it a couple of times did i notice how many of the little annoying things from PES3 had been fixed. The game feels a lot smoother and is a real joy to play.

10 thumbs up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Fifa is better simple as that.
    I have both and try as i might to be converted to pro evolution (having never
    played any of the previous games) i cant see what the fuss is about
    Neither are great games, both are average with fifa being slightly better imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

this debate happens every year when these two games come out.

if you're looking for realism in the means of names, stadiums and shirts then buy fifa.

if you're looking for better gameplay and looks like you're playing a football game go with PES.

IrishMike wrote:

What aspects of FIFA make it better ? .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

As a mate of mine once told me, some people love fifa and are great at it, others love pes and are great at it. The two never get along :D

Its very rare that you will find someone who espouses the virtues of both games!

Boro wrote:
    Its very rare that you will find someone who espouses the virtues of both games!
    I know, em nobody. But I am a former FIFA loving convert. But my FIFA loving was caused by my ignorance of other football games. When I discovered PES I was like - "wow" :eek:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

IrishMike wrote:

I have recently converted to pes from fifa.
    I didn't like it in the beginning, because unbeknownst to me, I actually had to use my brain whilst playing instead of the game doing everything for me.
    What converted me? I seen the goal gallerys on www.pesfan.com

Your post reminds me of how I was when I started playing pes, I didn't like it and stayed with fifa, then tried again and never looked back.

The stuff you can do and the goals you can score in pes are amazing.
    The gameplay is fantastic and with the updated option files, which give proper kits and team names etc. licencing headaches are over.

Fifa is complete rubbish compared to pro evolution in my opinion - any true lover of the beautiful game, and player of footie games, will tell you that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

The gameplay is fantastic and with the updated option files, which give proper kits and team names etc. licencing headaches are over.

Whadda ya mean by updated option file and getting proper kits? How is this done?

Whadda ya mean by updated option file and getting proper kits? How is this done?

patches...............ever hear of them.

Well im talking about the PS2 version, since its the only one available right now.

You can get (unofficial) patches for the PS2 version with a modded PS2.

If you have Xport2 or MaxDrive for your PS2 then you can download save files onto your memory card that contain all the official jerseys and names.

Also, I believe there is a CD you can buy from games stores thats updates your save file.

cregser wrote:
    You can get (unofficial) patches for the PS2 version with a modded PS2.

If you have Xport2 or MaxDrive for your PS2 then you can download save files onto your memory card that contain all the official jerseys and names.

Also, I believe there is a CD you can buy from games stores thats updates your save file.

cheers m8. I think the new ActionReplay is PES enabled, will save a lot of editing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Have been a pro evo fan since the first one on the ps1, and I dont understand Fifa's attraction at all. Only got Pro Evo 4 yesterday so havent had the chance to play it much, but i like it so far. As with every new incarnation at first it seems that there's not a lot of difference but starting to notice little things which improve the game, like the injured players treated on the sidelines. Dont like the slowdown at corners when played at 60hz tho. PLaying it at 50hz solves it more or less. Crap music and presentation as well, but the gameplay as ever is incredible and the player animations are more realistic than ever.

Out of Interest, what is everybodies favourite unlockable classic team and classic player.

I'll start with Classic Holland and Dennis Irwin (jus cuz he's one of us).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Best game i have ever played. Absolutely fantastic. The only thing i can fault it on is the keeper not diving as mentioned above, but there are so many fantastic features in it that i dont care about that keeper thing. I like the way this one is even more realistic, its much harder. You have to be more accurate and precise with your passing and shooting. I just LOVE it sooooooooooooooooooooooo much :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

IrishMike wrote:

No it is not, never has been,and I doubt it ever will be.
    Although Im currently quite frustrated with pes4, I've played every fifa since the first one on the snes, and I can still say that the pes series kicks its ass each and every time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 misdog

If you don't like the PES4 logos, music, chants, stadiums, kits, player stats etc., get a Mod for your ps2 or even simpler a Swap Magic kit, download a patch of your choice (jonboys's 1.5->2.0 is the patch of choice) and with a little effort problem solved. In addition you can use an xport/max drive to update your option file as player transfers occur etc.

Def the best evolution yet, but then again if it ain't broke.....

Fifa better than PES? You've got to be joking...

Anyone remeber ISS Deluxe for the snes , now that was a game and a half .
    I think it pretty much the same game as the first pro evo for the GBA .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Wha........ did I just hear.........no I couldn't have.............Pes 4?............ not as good as PES 3...............This is the devils work I tell ya!

I shall deal with you once I have finished beating up these FIFA lovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Pet hate number one, people who call the game PES. GRRRRRRRRRRR

Anyway, great game, better than 3 I must say.
    Couple of niggling annoyances, as already mentioned the goalkeepers and their lack of diving. It's slightly infuriating. I also find the shots seriously lack power.
    I still find it hard to score in the game, my biggest win so far was beating Mallorca 9-1 with Barcelona (only 3 stars mind), but I just find shooting to be a real chore.
    Also, the little lob shots that I love, where you dink it over the keeper are much harder now, because for some reason I get loads of power in them even with the slightest tap of square.

After playing through La Liga on 3 stars, I'm going to move up to 5. 3 was too easy, 38 games won out of 38.

One other thing, I like the way you can edit teams straight off the bat again. That really pissed me off with 3, where you needed 10,000 PES points to be able to edit rosters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

I haven't gone a day without playing it since I got it. Everything about this version is better than the last especially Master League. Another reason I love this game is the tournaments I've been having with my mates have been the most tense and fun ever. I think the difference between this and FIFA is that FIFA is the football watchers game ans Pro Evo is the football lovers game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Haven't played 4 yet but i presume its gonna be the same as winning eleven 8 (which i've been playing for last few months now), and imo its a defenite imporvement over the last version.

Just wondering though has the slowdown bug that plagued WE8 been removed? i was noticeable during kick-outs and corners (as lots of things going on screen)

for great patchs check out www.evo-web.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

the keeper not diving thing is realistic. if a keeper thinks its gonna go wide, sometimes he won't dive. simple as.

its a beautiful goal to score on someone when the keeper leaves it run wide, but it JUST creeps into the corner off the post...

LOVE IT. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Yeah, but it's not realistic for the ball to trickle up towards the goal and the goalkeeper remains rooted to the spot on the other side of the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Spent a some time playing the master league and I'm really impressed with the way young players attributes improve when you give them a few games. I also like the way you have to bring your players training to improve specific attributes and prevent them getting worse.

Haven't reall experimented with transfer market in the ML but have did buy Wayne Rooney.

By far and away the best enhancment in the game is the edit mode. We are currently in the process of creating a classic Rep Of Ireland Team, We have created the Old FAI Crest, The one they had for the 1990 world cup. Now all we have left to do is create the players. Here is the Line up I was thinking about

GK Bonnar, Kelly
    Backs: Irwin(RB/LB), Hughton(LB), Staunton(LB/CB), Morris(RB), Beglin(RB), Moran(CB), Mcgrath(CB/CM), McCarthy(CB), O'Leary(CB)

Midfield: Houghton(RM), Sheedy(LM), Brady(CM), Whelan(CM), Galvin(LM), Giles(CM), Keane(CM)(1994-2003 Version of Keane)

Strikers: Quinn, Aldridge, Cascarinho(Keeping the spot warm for Robbie), Stapleton,

Any one have any other ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭cr1spy

Am I the only one that notices the brutal amount of slowdown whenever the ball is but into the box? Corners and goal-mouth scrambles are almost unplayable.

The ball also seems to ping around much more than before. A slight bounch sends it flying around the pitch.

I loved Pro Evo 3, but the only thing that really changed for the better is the through balls, and the player making more intelligent runs, especially overlapping fullbacks.

Not going to stop me playing it though :)

Advertisement