Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with RealVnc

Options
  • 27-10-2004 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Any help appreciated..

I would like to try connecting to my home pc from work using something like RealVnc.

At home I have a small wireless network with a Netgear Gateway/Modem. Obviously the gateway is my IP address with the PCs at home having local IP addresses. Is it possible to connect through the gateway to a PC with a local address using RealVnc from my office?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Yes its possible.. just a case of setting up port forwarding on the netgear router to point to the local ip and port that vnc is running on... however vnc is not the most secure application in the world and I'd be wary of opening that port up to external connections, plus its not the most network friendly application around either.. i.e. its going to be dog slow regardless of your connections.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://home.comcast.net/~davedyer/znc/zvnc.html

What is ZNC:
    ZVNC is an experimental derivitave of two open source projects, Vitual Network Computing (VNC), a remote desktop control program, and ZeBeDee, a utility to set up encrypted, compressed tunneling between two hosts. It is possible to use ZeBeDee with VNC, but doing so requires additional configuration of both client and server, and inherently is less effecient and more prone to error than using VNC alone.

ZVNC integrates encryption and compression into VNC, while remaining compatible with both ordinary VNC and with configurations where VNC and ZeBeDee were used in combination. Perhaps surprisingly, the compression component of the combination is a significant improvement over VNC alone.

Download the Binary distribution, Windows only. Be sure to verify the PGP signature of the distributiuon to assure it hasn't ben tampered. Full sources are available upon request.

Advertisement