Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phobias!

• 27-10-2004 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭

Ok, who is man enough(or woman enough) to admit to their fears?

or who thinks its just too wimpy?

I for one suffer from vertigo!.....Tis sometimes not so bad but occasionally its scary for me!......Dont see myself as a wimp though! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

i'm afraid of spiders and open water.

I'm also not too fond of high buildings though i'm fine with mountains (whats up with that!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I've no real problem with heights.. or snakes.. spiders I really don't like, but I wouldn't call it a phobia (I'd be able to put moderate sized ones on my hand), thats about it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I shower twice, sometimes three times, a day cos im scared of germs and dirt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Spiders are weird with me!.....I seem to have no problem letting a tarrantula crawl over my arm but i wouldnt touch the little ones you'd find here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'm hydrophobic...

I have to spend about 15 minutes getting myself into a trance like state before taking a shower. And another 15 minutes or so to wind down afterwards... which is handy as my hair has usually drip dried by then..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I can't stand wasps and would move around a train carriage to avoid the nasty scum.

I also find wooden dummies freaky:
    127c.jpg

****ing freaky thing! Stop looking at me! Creepy bugger! eek.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

My lord thats scary :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Miss Mann

Germs scare me.

xx

Id avoid wasps aswell!

Had a bad experience years ago with a manowar jellyfish and have been terrified to go near them ever since!....Bloody thing wrapped itself around my whole arm!.....was twitchy stinging like mad for 3 days!Pretty good reason to hate them after that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'm afraid of depths and general sort of "infinity" type things.

For example, in THPS2 there's a level and in this level there's a wall which basically doesn't have a ceiling and doesn't appear to end. It just fades into black as it gets further away. Scared the bloody BEJAYSUS out of me and I couldn't play that level anymore...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Only thing I can think of is Sharks, I've a morbid fear/fascination with them. Intend to get over it by cage diving with great whites if I ever get the chance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I can't stand wasps either. Though I have been getting better in my department, just have to keep reminding myself that if I stay relaxed they won't sting me.

Cage diving!....Say that would be cool!....think if people understood them more they wouldnt be so afraid!....Im fascinated by them to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Stark wrote:
    I can't stand wasps either. Though I have been getting better in my department, just have to keep reminding myself that if I stay relaxed they won't sting me.
    That's what a wasp wants you to think. Don't be a fool, they're lulling you into a false sense of security. Then one day.... Bam! stingy stingersson! Just for the hell of it!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I don't fear much, but i worry about things happening. Is this the same thing?
    Like if someone i know is walking too close to the edge of a cliff, i worry they might fall, and ask them to come in a bit. but i'm not scared of cliffs.

Think most of us have just put down our fears!

Btw, is there a name for a fear of jellyfish?

I think that's fairly normal.

Unless you're a psycho and are waiting to push them off. In that case...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Hate swimming in lakes, always makes me think of the Loch Ness monster! Used to absolutely hate rollercoasters too until I got dragged on just about the biggest roller coaster I've ever seen and now everything seems easy in comparison!

Trigger! wrote:
    Btw, is there a name for a fear of jellyfish?
    Try here. Someone posted a good phobia list a while back but I cannae remember it, so that might do.

Jellyfish are disgusting... eughughugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I hate clowns and those wodden ventriloquists dummys. I saw a movie years ago about a dummy that could talk and move (i think Anthony Hopkins was in it) and it just traumitised me for life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Plastic Scouser

My sister has a fear of buttons!!

(I think even she'd agree that one's a bit weird!!)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Cnidophobia is a general fear of stings and jellyfish are cnidarians (imagine being defined by your nastiest trait). That's the best I can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Spheksophobia: Yup, wasps are evil scum and I have run around like a girl on encountering them.

I also have a phobia of mullets, rat-tails, Marty Whelan type moustaches and many other hair related 'enhancements'.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

I knew a girl who had a an honest to God fear of apples.
    If somone were to eat an apple in front of her she would freak and get up and walk away.
    She couldnt be in the same room as an apple. Apples were banned from her house.
    Her friends used to leave pictures of apples in her books at college - very funny.

scribs wrote:
    I knew a girl who had a an honest to God fear of apples.
    If somone were to eat an apple in front of her she would freak and get up and walk away.
    She couldnt be in the same room as an apple. Apples were banned from her house.
    Her friends used to leave pictures of apples in her books at college - very funny.
    16970_w.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

Moths...don't ask me why!! Come over in a cold sweat if I see one flapping in the room. If one flies in my direction, I need to be hospitalised.....

After last night....mice! Little beggars were up in the attic and were having a relay race on the ceiling above my head! I was convinced they would make their way into the bedroom....broke out in a sweat at the sound of them!

Silly, silly Girl!!!

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Had a friend with a crazy fear / hatred of velvet. If he touched it he would freak out and likely try to punch / push the person wearing it to get them away from him.
    I don't think this is a phobia, but I can't stand the cotton rolls you get in pharmacies (the sort to use on cuts, etc...) To touch the cotton (and the way it compresses...argh!) is actually mentally painful to me. It freaks me out a little to think about it.

Oh..not sure if a phobia but....

Biting Wool.....my teeth are watering and I have goosebumps now.....just at the thought of it.

I have to leave the room if someone even attempts to do it...

Try chewing tin-foil - not good if you have fillings. A lot of people have the coton wool thing, induces similar feelings to scratching nails on chalkboard.

• Advertisement

Ok thats a funny one!......how you came to bite wool in the first place though!hehe :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

gazzer wrote:
    I hate clowns and those wodden ventriloquists dummys. I saw a movie years ago about a dummy that could talk and move (i think Anthony Hopkins was in it) and it just traumitised me for life.

i remember that film, cant think of the name though.

i used to hate clowns as a kid. mainly because of this. now how friendly is he?
    pennywise%202.jpg

Trigger! wrote:
    Ok thats a funny one!......how you came to bite wool in the first place though!hehe :D

My goosebumps are now....ostrich bumps! And that's just talking about this....

When taking off gloves that were a bit snug....used my teeth!! :eek:

skywalker wrote:

Stephen King's It.

My little brother was traumatised by It....pardon the pun!

S

Ah ok see what you mean now sancoo!

Skywalker i think that film was called 'It'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

yea IT was called IT alrite. when i said i couldnt remember the name of the film, i was talking about the one gazzer mentioned with anthony hopkins and the dummy.

rewatched stephen kings it again recently and got goosebumps again. tim rice (or is it tim curry?) is soooo good at being skin crawlingly scary in that film.

• Advertisement

Just got this from stephen king's website

It was

Tim Curry .... Robert 'Bob' Gray/Pennywise the Dancing Clown/It

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭ionapaul

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Try chewing tin-foil - not good if you have fillings. A lot of people have the coton wool thing, induces similar feelings to scratching nails on chalkboard.
    Exactly. ARGH!!!!! Can't believe some people are ok with that damn cotton stuff, it is awful.
    Oh, my mum can't bear the sound of gravel being scraped underfoot as people walk. It drives her crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I know a girl who has a fear of Mayonnaise. On April fools day her friends made her a breakfast bagel with cream cheese and bacon and she was like 'Aw guys! You're so sweet! Eh, guys, is there mayonnaise on this by any chance?' and they all started breaking their sh!tes laughing at her and she really freaked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

My sister has a fear of buttons!!

(I think even she'd agree that one's a bit weird!!)

My sister is terrified of buttons too! She's not so fond of zips either (freak!) :p

I hate birds... well budgies really. It all started when my Mom got one as a pet and it got out and flew about the room and got tangled in my hair which was waist length at the time. All the flapping and screeching and scraping of claws had me terrified.

I also have an extremely irrational fear of clowns. My blood runs cold when I see one! :eek:

Well i wouldnt be too fond of parrots after my last and first encounter with one!.....Got pissed on a night out in town and hadnt enough for a taxi home so i crashed on the couch in a mates!Kept waking up though with these weird noises and i kept thinking someone was taking the piss!then i noticed this huge kinda box thing covered in a blanket!Took the blanket off and it was this open cage with this massive parrot innit!Fecker knawed the fingers off me like mad!Probably didnt help that is was pissed and tried feeding him a twig!hehe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 MiniMcGee

I love buttons!! Especially the chocolate kind. :D

Im terrifed of spiders. Thats a common one. And im scared of the dark, dont think thats really a phobia though. Also i'm scared of ghosts even though i've never seen one, i'm convinced i will.

Well apparently in England the number 1 fear is spiders!.....Death is only at number 4! :eek:

Death is number 4 on the phobia hit list!!

If spiders is number 1...what the hell could be 2 & 3!

For some strange reason, this reminds me of that stupid programme Bullseye!!!

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin one Spiders
    Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin Two ?
    Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin Three ?
    Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin Four Death........bet you'll pick this one Bob!

I need to go home...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

skywalker wrote:

pennywise%202.jpg

AAAGGGHHH!! It's the clown from IT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I have Arachnophobia, Daemonophobia and Coulrophobia.

www.phobialist.com

Algophobia- Fear of pain

Cant imagine lots of people not being that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Lol, from that website:

Arachibutyrophobia- Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth.
    Euphobia- Fear of hearing good news.
    Hobophobia- Fear of bums or beggars.

I have Arachnophobia, Daemonophobia and Coulrophobia.

www.phobialist.com

Sounds like you have a fear of British Formula one racing drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

This one is just ironic:

Sesquipedalophobia- Fear of long words.

So cruel they would make them remember that word for their condition aswell.

koneko wrote:
    This one is just ironic:

Sesquipedalophobia- Fear of long words.

So cruel they would make them remember that word for their condition aswell.

Hmm, fear of 18-inch things...

• Advertisement
Advertisement