Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phobias!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've a mild squeamishness about fish (bleurgh, they're just so ugly), and things like Congor Eels and Angler Fish close up really freak me out, but in general, once I've touched the fish, or spent 10 seconds swimming in the water with them, it doesn't bother me at all.

Nothing else really. I'm quite well adjusted (or desensitised).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

AAAGGGHHH!! It's the clown from IT!

Is it not Pennywise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, Pennywise the clown from IT. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm scared of heights. Have been for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

koneko wrote:
    This one is just ironic:

Sesquipedalophobia- Fear of long words.

how about this one:
    Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- Fear of long words.

well mine are:
    Trypanophobia- Fear of injections.
    Vaccinophobia- Fear of vaccination.
    Nosocomephobia- Fear of hospitals.
    Glossophobia- Fear of speaking in public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭ando

technically 'fear' of something is not a phobia. A phobia commences once you start avoiding the situation or subject you are afraid of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Let's shut up about Pennywise now.

*shudders*

Pickarooney-.....? I don't see what fear of spiders, demonic possession and clowns have in common with formula 1??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

ando wrote:
    technically 'fear' of something is not a phobia. A phobia commences once you start avoiding the situation or subject you are afraid of
    Does that mean that my large aversion to onions (to the point where I won't eat anything I believe has onions in it, and even the thought of there being onions in my food puts me off it) could be classed as a phobia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

*shudders*

Pickarooney-.....? I don't see what fear of spiders, demonic possession and clowns have in common with formula 1??

You've obviously never seen a demon possessed spider in a clown outfit driving a racecar before?

truly a terrifying sight to behold...

Actually.. that's something else that scares me... the fact that racecar spelled backwards is racecar... it's just not right.... what sort of cruel universe do we live in that would alow something like that to happen...?

ando wrote:
    pho·bi·a ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fb-)
    n.
    (1.)A persistent, abnormal, and irrational fear of a specific thing or situation that compels one to avoid it, despite the awareness and reassurance that it is not dangerous.
    (2.)A strong fear, dislike, or aversion.

no (2.) seems to discredit your statement.

Actually.. that's something else that scares me... the fact that racecar spelled backwards is racecar... it's just not right.... what sort of cruel universe do we live in that would alow something like that to happen...?

Fear of palindromes: aibohphobia
    which is coincidently, a palindrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Have been petrified of sheep since I was a child. And it is specifically sheep. Cows, pigs, goats and horses I have no problem with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

*shudders*

there is/was british formula one drivers called damon hill and david coulthard.

i have arachnophobia. not as bad as it used to be but some spiders just invoke that irrational fear. was in krakow a couple of months back and when you go down a certain couple of streets at night all they have is white brightly lit walls that are covered in spiders scared the crap out of me

have a general fear of insect type things such as slugs, snails, beetles and all that jazz

fear of not being able to breath also, not the usual i'm under water i can resurface type thing but someone throws a pillow over you head and you're fightin' to get it off. wouldn't like to drown now i have to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

*shudders*

ahh why. look hes nice really. hes smiling

pennywise%20smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

You know, i dont remember ever seeing It! :eek: might actually get it just see if i did watch it!hehe good thing i dont have a fear of clowns!....YET!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I remeber they showed it on Sky One, as a two-part thing. I must have been about 12, very very scary. Looking back on it now though, its a load of bóllócks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Does that mean that my large aversion to onions (to the point where I won't eat anything I believe has onions in it, and even the thought of there being onions in my food puts me off it) could be classed as a phobia?

Ever thought of becoming a Hari Krishna?

Feck sake Aliens scared the hell out of me when i was like 5 or 6!hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Yeah, that was probably when I first saw it too, back in the early days of Sky (pre-Sky Sports) - very scary compared to the usual fare offered up on RTE or BBC at the time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

Trigger! wrote:
    You know, i dont remember ever seeing It! :eek: might actually get it just see if i did watch it!hehe good thing i dont have a fear of clowns!....YET!

The movie version of IT is total shoite. Better off reading the book... way more scarey! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

In read about this phobia before it's called Phonophobia, I think I got it right. Basically it's a fear of everything. That's quite hilarious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

skywalker wrote:

pennywise%20smile.gif

I HATE you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭MissS

I've a fear of birds....even tiny ones like kanaries brrrrr.....the feathers, the sudden falpping of the wings ieeeeeehhhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Miss Mann

skywalker wrote:

pennywise%20smile.gif
    Ahh, it's my ex-wife.

xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I'm a little claustrophobic. But my main fear is of parasitic things like tapeworms and ticks and such - it really freaks me out for some reason, I can't stand the thought of something living in/on me. Otherwise there isn't much I'm afraid of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

seamus wrote:
    I've a mild squeamishness about fish (bleurgh, they're just so ugly), and things like Congor Eels and Angler Fish close up really freak me out, but in general, once I've touched the fish, or spent 10 seconds swimming in the water with them, it doesn't bother me at all.

Nothing else really. I'm quite well adjusted (or desensitised).

oh how could u go near congor or angler fish!!!!! :eek:

I'm afraid of doors where theres no glass.. as in I'm afraid when I'm going to push the door open that someone will push it from the other side and bend my fingers backwards or something!! wierd I know.. but it's kind of becoming obsessive to push doors with my shoulders now!!!

oh and I hate heights.. specially if it's not water under me.. like the worst I've felt in ages was the Chocolate Soup cafe in Roches on Henry St. the way there is a see-through glass strip on the floor.. overlooking the street. nearly dropped my tray!!

Well when i was in toronto i was up in the TNT tower(i think its called something along those lines)....Anywho they have this transparent floor part with everyone going wow stepping on it were i was practically stuck to the wall scared to even go near it!Didnt help with my mates saying "You bloody wimp!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Spiders. Ughh! Don't like those creepy crawley spidery things. Also spider crabs. Maybe its because they look like a spider. All crawley yokes in general actually. My wife puts the spiders out in our house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

I hate that glass floor thing too......

My legs go to jelly and my mind goes off in wonderful tangents about the glass cracking, the glass not being there etc etc

I have to find an alternative route.....

I'm beginning to sound like a freak of nature....... :eek:

• Advertisement

Aint we all! :D

Welcome to the grounded club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

I used to be scared of heights too, but then I jumped out of a plane.... luckily I had a parachute on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

I used to be scared of heights too, but then I jumped out of a plane.... luckily I had a parachute on.

Yeah, that was handy :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Actally the worst height thing I've ever had was on top of one of the Twin Towers. It was ceiling to floor glass and no barrier etc. I couldn't go near it! would have loved to enjoy the view, but had to stand well back!!! It's like you can feel yourself being pulled towards the edge.. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Miss Mann

Erotophobia = fear of making love.

xx

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    16970_w.jpg

That link dont work Reactor what is it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭frantic_mel

sanncoo wrote:
    Death is number 4 on the phobia hit list!!

If spiders is number 1...what the hell could be 2 & 3!

For some strange reason, this reminds me of that stupid programme Bullseye!!!

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin one Spiders
    Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin Two ?
    Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin Three ?
    Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin Four Death........bet you'll pick this one Bob!

I need to go home...............

Dont forget
    And for that special prize.................

Advertisement