Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is playing FF XI?

Options
  • 27-10-2004 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

Anybody here play FF XI?What is your experence?
    It took me 3 hours to get used to the controls.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Been playing for over a months now, completely addicted. Took a good while to get used to the controls, hardest part was realising you don't need to use the mouse, much much easier without it.

I'm on Shiva, currently levelling my white mage sub, currently whm12, blm6. Black mage was at 18 before i got subjob.

Really really enjoying the game. Last MMO i played was Horizons (shudder....), this game is heaven compared to it.

Have made some good friends as well, never any problem finding a party, currently getting 200xp a go in the Maze.

Lovin 'it.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

*sticks hand up*

Currently 62RDM/31BLM, on Bahamut.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i only have the game 3 weeks and am a lvl14 warrior.... i love the game, lots to do esp levelling up, lots of hacking and slashing... difficult to get a party tho.... btw how do i know what server im playing on? Also up till now i had very little money all the time and only in the past few days i discovered that selling stuff that you pick up from monsters can be sold for loads of money in the auctions, ive made 7,000gil alone in past 4 days:d.... also does anyone know what do i do with those beastman seals.... ive over 40 of them in my mog storage box and cant sell them or do anything with them.... how do i get rid of them?

When you log in the first thing you'll see on your chat window is "welcome to xxx" where xxx is the server you're on.

If you're level 14 the easiest place to get a party is in Valkurm Dunes.

Keep your beastman seals, you can use them for special battles later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭weichen

Yea,i agree with moridin Valkurm Dunes is a good place for people who is lvl14+,I went there when i was lvl12,now after 4 days,i am lvl 21 Warr now.
    made a lot of friends there.
    And if you can travel to Windurst...there is a good place make money.i m made 10k per day there.Col place.....problem is Too far from Sandy to go there..

I am in World Hades.If you are interested to come to our world....I can get you a World pass....

;)

• Advertisement

What will be the best Subjob for a Warr?

weichen wrote:
    What will be the best Subjob for a Warr?

There's no 'best' SJ for a warrior, the more mainstream ones would be MNK (for boost) and THF (post 30, for Sneak Attack).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

I've seen war using whm sub work quite well up to about level 32. Or sub ninja for dual weapon and utsusemi.

Just found a post on one of the FFXI Forum talking about subjob for WARR:

Warrior has many subs to choose from

Basic Subs

/MNK= this is the all around sub for warrior , you get a HPboost, and a STR boost. You can damage deal or tank well with this combo.

/THF= This combo is utterly useless until lvl your Warrior is 30. Once you hit lvl 30 and you sub a 15 thf you will get my favorite job ability in the game : Sneak Attack!! This ability automatically makes your next hit a critical if you hit the monsters back.

But thats not the best part.

Sneak Attack ( or SA as we call it ) can stack with STR+ food, Berserk and Mighty Strikes, or certain Weapon Skills.

So this is a bad sub 18-29 but its a awesome sub 30-75

/WHM= Ok, lately people have been using this combo saying, they use it to keep hate or lower downtime. well dont listen to them

Lowers Downtime: Tell me this, how is it possible to keep hate when you only have enough MP for 3 cure 1s???

Keeping Hate:Ok yes it keeps hate for a very short period of time, and whats the point of tanking when your sub lowers your HP and VIT and STR??

So in a nutshell , /whm sucks for partying (its good for soloing). I dont suggest this at ALL

/BLM Ok, now you just want to be a ghetto drk. Stop , now.

WARS have low MP and INT in the first place, and your spells are halved. For ex. the BLM who does stone in your pt will do around 40 damage, then the WAR/BLM does ston and he will do less than a regular attack. Also you only have enough MP for like 3 stones. So no, BAD choice

/RDM= See /BLM and /WHM

Advanced Subs

/NIN= This combo is imo the BEST back up tank combo in the game. You will get dual wield and utsusemi which are great additions to a warrior.

/SAM= Awesome combo for damage dealing so you can do ALOT of Weapon skills. However , you dont get the TP gaining abilities until lvl 60 so its rather useless until then.

/RNG= This combo really does nothing good for a WAR. Nothing bad but nothing good. Your not supposed to use arrows for damage as aWAR so rng sub is useless.

/PLD =this combo is now being used alot. But its not that good. The def bonus that you get wont be as big as you thought and the low PLD mp will be halved so you have room for like 1 cure.

/DRK= ive heard this being used in higher lvls but, up to where i am , this combo isnt so good. The attack bonus isnt that great and the spells will be halved so they will be useless and you have very low mp too.

/SMN= NO. BAD IDEA. Theres no point. Your summons will be REALLY weak and the mp boost is useless when you have no spells

weichen wrote:
    /WHM= Ok, lately people have been using this combo saying, they use it to keep hate or lower downtime. well dont listen to them

Lowers Downtime: Tell me this, how is it possible to keep hate when you only have enough MP for 3 cure 1s???
    Errrm, who ever wrote this never tried it I bet. At level 16-20 you will have enough MP for 4-6 cure1 = 100 minimun HP, depends on your mnd etc. You get 1 extra VIT around this level, maybe 2 with pld sub, big deal! At lvl22, you can cast cure2 with whm sub which gives tons of hate. WHM sub does work up until a certain level.

• Advertisement

CodeMonkey wrote:
    Errrm, who ever wrote this never tried it I bet. At level 16-20 you will have enough MP for 4-6 cure1 = 100 minimun HP, depends on your mnd etc. You get 1 extra VIT around this level, maybe 2 with pld sub, big deal! At lvl22, you can cast cure2 with whm sub which gives tons of hate. WHM sub does work up until a certain level.

I guess what race you're using would have an impact too. However, the main problem is the defence and vitality tradeoffs that you get with the WHM sub.

WAR/WHM = a gimped paladin IMO.

It might work for soloing, but tbh there's no way in the world that I'd invite a war/whm to party with me. Perhaps I'm getting elitist now I'm approaching the higher levels, but people choose this combination because it sounds good... the idea is noble enough, but they don't understand the opportunity cost of using a subjob that detracts from the natural strengths of the warrior class, instead of enhancing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

Hey guys,

My mate Gonzo (posted above :) ) is a big FFXI player, I am waiting to get my phone lines unsplit so I can play the game, which I have already bought.

Any tips for a first time player that will be dedicating his life to the game over the next long while.

Cheers all
    Hanza...

Have a look at http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/final_fantasy_xi_beginner.txt

If you've any job/race specific questions, have a look at http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/ in the forums - there's a specific forum for every character class and race :)

Actually, having said that... http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=1098047379424678707&num=86 should see you right ;)

Reach lvl25 War/ lvl 10 MNK last night.....Rank 3.5 in Sandy....
    Maybe i should farm for a while only got 35k left.........sooooo poor :(
    Now its time time go back to Windurst lvl up my Sub and farm some silk thread. m(_ _)m

I've just spent the best few hours of my life ever. Well my online life.

Was at Quifim Island over the weekend. I nearly sh*t myself when i first arrived and was making my way to meet the party. The size of those giants!!!. The XP just kept rolling in - I got 5 levels in about 10 hours, it was unbelieveable. Furthermore, can now do magic bursts with my eyes closed. Getting 150 damage from a single spell is SOOOO satisfying. It pretty much silenced the American Ranger in our party who was constantly blathering on about 'RNG totally ownes BLM for damage dealing. Yeah yeah.

I've now got a Chocobo licence and feel completely re-energised about the game!!. It took me about 10/15 minutes to ride from Jeuno to Windy, sure beats getting the ferry!!!. By the way, isn't Jeuno the prettiest city???. Love the music there as well.

Now looking forward to airships, advanced jobs etc etc.

In case you can't tell, totally mad about the game!!!.

Hehe, congratulations on your choc licence, it'll serve you well :) In case you didn't know there's 3 chocobo stables in jeuno, typically one will be expensive, one will be cheap, and one will be moderately priced. Shop around ;)

Magic bursting is great, just wait till you get Ancient spells and are smashing mobs for 1000+ damage using Freeze. Having recently gotten my pimp hat I've been experimenting with double magic bursting... the Fast Cast enhancement really is rather lovely, and it's nice to hit something with blizzard and immediately afterwards hit it with blizzard II, both bursting on a Distortion chain, woo!

I wouldn't go nuts on the "advanced jobs" to be honest, they're fun but require a lot of work. Ninja, Ranger, and Samurai are notibly incredibly expensive to play as, but a lot of fun.

Just reach 30War/14Mnk last night..found its hard to find a pt in Kazham

You're probably going to start finding it harder to get parties now you've hit 30. It was about 30/35ish that ppl I was playing with started looking for paladins to tank instead of warriors.

If you intend to stay as a warrior you're going to need to do some work - Try capping your weapon skills in GreatAxe, Axe, Sword, and Great Sword. The best weapon for a warrior is undoubtably the GreatAxe, but because wars are so good with multiple weapons they're great for skillchaining in parties, due to their adaptability.

From now on, if you're tanking, you're going to have to do a lot of work to keep hate, and the best way to do that is through maximising your damage :)

You might also want to get your Thief levelled up so you can use Sneak Attack, which stacks with a lot of weaponskills.

You are right but Great AXEs are too expensive.Using Great Sword at monent my Sword and Great sword skills are max at my lvl.
    I found most of the time i am able to keep the hate by voke every 30sec and doing danmage.

weichen wrote:
    You are right but Great AXEs are too expensive.Using Great Sword at monent my Sword and Great sword skills are max at my lvl.
    I found most of the time i am able to keep the hate by voke every 30sec and doing danmage.

If you're staying as war start saving up now and level your GreatAxe skill. I've been in parties where people will only invite warriors who use GreatAxe. Once you hit level 40 you're going to want at least one Snipers ring, and they're about 700k on my server... Things start getting expensive now, best to keep your weapons up to date :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Just wondering, is XI completely multiplayer? or is there any single player option? and i assume only people on broadband are playing this?

yes,you have to have a Fast internet connection for playing this game..
    Dont have any Single player option,But Stories in the Game are great.

No you don't need broadband. Playable on modem. Knew someone who got to high 60 on modem before he got broadband.

Only problem is that there's a large update after you install, so you'll probably want to leave it downloading overnight if you do decide to start playing :)

Ok cool, i'll give it a whirl to continue my Final Fantasy addictions. Just finishing X-2, what a pile of sh*t!

X2 didn't really light my fire either.

Amazing though, every time I boot up XI, and I hear that music from FF7, I get a shiver down my spine. Amazing how a simple piece of music like that can bring back the memories of playing that game.

IIRC, it was also at the end of FF9, or maybe 10, can't remember.

Yeah i know exactly what you mean!

Google and download a program called Windower for FF11. Never used this before because it's unstable with my old radeon 8500 card but got a geforce 6800LE recently and the windower works great. If it doesn't work for you an older version might work, I got 3 versions and only the oldest one is working.

What the windower does is force FF11 to run in window mode. You can also alt-tab into window and surf the web while looking for group or look up mission/quest info without logging out.

Gota a direct link for it? Google is only bringing up japanese pages that I cant translate.

• Advertisement

sci0x wrote:
    Gota a direct link for it? Google is only bringing up japanese pages that I cant translate.
    http://www.archbell.com/ffxi/

Advertisement