Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA:SA First Impressions & reviews

Options
  • 27-10-2004 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

I know theres loads of threads about GTA so merge this if you want but I think more people will read it if it has its own thread :)

Just been playing it for an hour or two and heres a few small things ive noticed.

-You are broken in much easier than Vice City.Lots of small missions that get you used to radar, shooting, fighting, haircuts, working out, driving, spraypainting, buying clothes ETC you have alot longer to get used to the game.

-DEAR GOD the play area is massive.... its like comparing Ron Jermerys lad to a midget childs eskimo shriveled pecker!

-You can leave the city but early on you get a phonecall from a cop telling you if you leave you will chased down

-The graphics havent improved at all from Vice City but I dont really mind!

-The 90s setting works really well, I wasnt mad about the music stations when I read the track listing but they are surprisingly good. There is a chat staion called WCTR - Talk Radio.

-Lots of little improvements like aiming - much easier. you can now walk up to a fence and press jump , you will scale the fence.

-The bike is great fun :) You can hold x or tap to go fast. L1 makes you do little jumps.

-Instead of "100 health" you have a red health bar,Also theres a fairly wide variety of foods to buy!

-There is a motorway with sliproads and theres a good few massive bridges in the first city.

-The map is much better.Areas you havent been are shaded grey and you can zoom in and out. I havent been in the countryside but from the map it looks like there is **** loads of it!

I know they are only small impressions but will post more as I play on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

This is a useful thread m8, your not sh1te'n on about when your gonna buy it or which one of your friends bought it off their cousins boyfriend who works in Xtravision.
    good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Nearly makes me want to buy a PS2...

nearly...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I have an erection.......

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Nearly makes me want to buy a PS2...

nearly...

wait for pc, better controls and such

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

-Much better animations for the characters

-People on the streets talk alot more , feels more alive. You can walk up to them and press left on the D-pad to say a negative comment or Right for a posative comment.

-If you get a van you can drive to a house at night time.Brake in and load the van full of stuff - then drive it to a store house. You have a noise metre, if your noisy you will wake the people up and they call the cops :)

-If you hold L1 your stats come up on the screen in a little box. They are Respect, Stamina, Muscle, Fat, Sex Appeal

-I dont know what its for but in your house ( where you save ETC ) there is a camera which you can take and save pictures with, you can then view them in a gallery. There is also a spray can for spraying over rival gangs tags. I guess they are like hudden packages as there is 100 to find and spray over. Some are hid on the roofs of buildings.

-You have skill levels for your weapons. Im poor with everything except pistol which im "gangsta" with :)

-There is loads and loads of stats which you can look at from the options menu. Much more than were in Vice City.

If anyone has any questions I'll try my best to figure them out. Oh and ive been playing 1:45 mins and im 4.81 % into the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

whats the camera like tusky and the first person view??

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Cremo wrote:
    Same as meself, how much are ps2's 2nd hand?
    might get one chipped aswell while im at it..

sound_wave wrote:
    whats the camera like tusky and the first person view??

Pretty much the same as Vice City. The first person is invert controls. The camera seems a bit more responsive, less bugs.

I just drove the forklift, it kicks ass !
    The missions are really diverse, for example...
    in one early mission you have to rob a train , you throw box's off the back while a guy in a car driving behind the train catches them. In another mission you brake into an national guard base by scaling a wall , open the door from the inside so your friend can drive the truck in. You then load the truck with crates usign a forklift while he fights off the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

excellent! but please, no more spoilers! they're too tempting.

not exactly spoilers...nothing to do with storyline. Just outlines of missions but I put them in spoiler form because some people dont like to know anything :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Tusky wrote:
    -You are broken in much easier than Vice City.Lots of small missions that get you used to radar, shooting, fighting, haircuts, working out, driving, spraypainting, buying clothes ETC you have alot longer to get used to the game.
    Damn. I hope there's some mental hard missions, tho.
    Tusky wrote:
    -DEAR GOD the play area is massive.... its like comparing Ron Jermerys lad to a midget childs eskimo shriveled pecker!
    Well, hope its bigger on the PC.
    Tusky wrote:
    -You can leave the city but early on you get a phonecall from a cop telling you if you leave you will chased down
    Excellent. This sounds like fun. Usually I have to run down @ least 2 coppers, grenade the car, before they even notice me. Me loves being chased by the pigs :cool:
    Tusky wrote:
    -The graphics havent improved at all from Vice City but I dont really mind![/QUOTE}
    Its a PS2. The graphics CAN NOT get better, as there's a limit on how far they can push the graphics, due to hard-ware constrictions. On the PC, however, they'll be so... so... sweeeet, no doubt :)
    Tusky wrote:
    -The 90s setting works really well, I wasnt mad about the music stations when I read the track listing but they are surprisingly good. There is a chat staion called WCTR - Talk Radio.
    Not bothered. I'll just do the usual putting-of-MP3-shortcuts into the MP3 folder. There's nothing better than listening to Exodus when killing the bystanders.
    Tusky wrote:
    -Lots of little improvements like aiming - much easier. you can now walk up to a fence and press jump , you will scale the fence.[/QUOTE}
    For aiming; buy a mouse. It makes it so easier.
    Tusky wrote:
    -Instead of "100 health" you have a red health bar,Also theres a fairly wide variety of foods to buy!
    Seemingly, without exercise, your character can become overwight. This mean he or she can't run as well from the cops, gangsters, etc, before running out of breath/stamina.
    Tusky wrote:
    -The map is much better.Areas you havent been are shaded grey and you can zoom in and out. I havent been in the countryside but from the map it looks like there is **** loads of it!
    I wonder is there any animals you can run over. Also, is there any farm viechles. Imagine; mowing people over with a combine harvester [spelling?].

=-=

All in all, I can't wait till the game comes out on the PC :) Its gonna be so so sweet :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Im buying it on ps2 and will get it on pc when it comes out too...do you think i will be bored of it when it comes out for pc? I mean, I played vice city to death on ps2 and then was bored of it by time it came out on pc mainly because i didnt notice any difference graphically and the fact i found vice city tiny.

the_syco wrote:
    Damn. I hope there's some mental hard missions, tho.

Well, hope its bigger on the PC.

Excellent. This sounds like fun. Usually I have to run down @ least 2 coppers, grenade the car, before they even notice me. Me loves being chased by the pigs :cool:

Not bothered. I'll just do the usual putting-of-MP3-shortcuts into the MP3 folder. There's nothing better than listening to Exodus when killing the bystanders.

Seemingly, without exercise, your character can become overwight. This mean he or she can't run as well from the cops, gangsters, etc, before running out of breath/stamina.

I wonder is there any animals you can run over. Also, is there any farm viechles. Imagine; mowing people over with a combine harvester [spelling?].

=-=

All in all, I can't wait till the game comes out on the PC :) Its gonna be so so sweet :cool:

Yea you do get fat if you eat too much and dont exercise/work out. There are farm vehicles but I aint come across any yet.

- The damage on vehicles has been done up with different kinds of damage ETC

-The A.I of drivers and cops is alot better, cops dont seem to come out of nowhere as much.

-Terrible terrible pop up. As bad if not worse than Vice City. People pop up almost right in front of you as you drive along...I dont really care though because the rest is soooo good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Tusky wrote:
    -Terrible terrible pop up. As bad if not worse than Vice City. People pop up almost right in front of you as you drive along...I dont really care though because the rest is soooo good.

with graphics this bad, i think its a joke that this game got a 9.9 from IGN, and a 9.6 from gamespot. It should automatically lower the score to at least 9.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

L5 wrote:
    with graphics this bad, i think its a joke that this game got a 9.9 from IGN, and a 9.6 from gamespot. It should automatically lower the score to at least 9.0
    why?

L5 wrote:

why ? with the ammount happening on screen I dont think it would be possible to reduce the pop up...

Tusky wrote:
    why ? with the ammount happening on screen I dont think it would be possible to reduce the pop up...

games like gt4 dont seem to have that problem

tman wrote:
    why?

because its a weakness of the game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wonder is there any animals you can run over. Also, is there any farm viechles. Imagine; mowing people over with a combine harvester

IGN says there is a combine harvester :D

For me graphics don't count as long as they are functional. If the game is great fun then it doesn't matter if it looks crap. Classic examples are mario 64 and Doom. They look dire now but are still ridiculously good fun.

L5 wrote:
    games like gt4 dont seem to have that problem

GT4 has been in delelopement alot longer , also there is more happening onscreen in GTA. Cars,pedestrians,buildings,gunfire,explosions! Also there is alot less slow down this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

Cremo wrote:
    whens it coming out on pc?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

august 2005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

last i heard it was due for may/june on the pc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

there right the graphics are alot worse than vice the gameplay itself has alot more variety on first impressions the game is alot like vice city for bout 10 mins then its all about the homies with having to do all kinds of diffent **** overall already i can see this been a corker but i aint gonna spoil u all with the details
    Brock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

L5 wrote:

Gamespot gave the graphics an 8, which I would consider fair if Vice City is anything to go by.

9.9 though? I dunno, haven't played the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Have Fernando or Lazlow made reappearances on the radio stations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

aint sure i mainly listen to radio x with guns n roses and stuff i dont like hip hop

Theres loads of stations with no hip hop! some of the radio ads are hilarious ! Im hearing loads of songs that I know but didnt recognise when I looked at the song list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

In fairness i think the graphics are better than vice city, i noticed a lot more pop up on vice city. You cant really judge how bad the pop up is on a back up version anyway cos theres not as much when your playing it on an original disc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

The german dude on the dance stations is the best dj of all games. Hes hilarious

Advertisement