Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA:SA First Impressions & reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

As always Eurogamer gets it own thread :)

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=57053

Read the review before scrolling down now :)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

damn straight!

just about to read it now... not sure if i have the self control needed to avoid scrolling down for a quick peek at the score :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

2 reviews 2 scores , fight the temptation.

As always excellent reviews make me wanna hug the brand new PS2 sitting under Tv .

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I thought that first review was ****e. He talked about the problems with the game for longer then the posatives. Sure the game has many flaws but he seemed to go on about them too much. Im currently playing the countryside section and really enjoying it....although that race IS a bastard.

shinzon wrote:
    hi

first impressions are more of the same but much bigger play area, i was trying to get back to the gangs hideout after a mission and must have taken a wrong turn cause i ended up out in the stix driving a truck, eventually found my way back to the hideout after about 15 minutes

Must mention the soundtrack its brilliant, the english explorer guy had me in stitches

Gonna get back to it after my shift

Shin

Seems like more of the same for the first few hours, give it time though and loads of new things start to open up ! Specially gang territories , girlfriends and the countryside!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Oh feck, was just about to read one of the reviews a half a hour ago, but just read the score and closed the browser.

Again… FFS!

There were way too many treads repeating each other. (Like I’m now partly repeating my self). The small threads repeated what was in the large threads, and the large threads overlapped over and over and over and over again.

THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT HOW GOOD THE GAME IS, OR HOW GOOD YOU OR A REVIEW SAYS IT IS.

You can also talk about stuff that is in the game.

THIS THREAD IS ***NOT*** ABOUT HOW OR WHERE TO, OR WHERE YOU DID GET A RETAIL COPY OF GTA:SA GO HERE TO TALK ABOUT THAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Balkieb2002, I finished that mission
    (the one with the absolutely classic T2 reference)
    first time. All the advice i can give you is keep trying, just take out the bikes straight away as even the drivers of those can fire at you. That particular mission has been one of my favourites so far. Absolutely brilliant :)
    And yeah balkieb I thought the exact same thing, that mansion where you steal the lyrics might become a Diaz mansion style home for you later in the game, and the Driv3r reference was quite good.. Rockstar are fairly brave to put that in!

The radio stations made me bang out a few lols again and again, the "take the utter p!ss out of everything" style writing is there again and some of the quotes are classic.

Haven't had another chance to play it since earlier on so I think I'll head off and have another blast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

Amazing piece of software..........

Picked mine up early this morning, and I do mean EARLY for a saturday morning, but so worth it.

The graphics are not amazin, nor should they be on a PS2, but they're still pretty sweet.

I cant really pick any major faults, or minor faults for that matter with the game thus far. I'm just loving playing this.

Love goin to the gym, and soundtrack rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Swifty wrote:
    Balkieb2002, I finished that mission
    (the one with the absolutely classic T2 reference)
    first time. All the advice i can give you is keep trying, just take out the bikes straight away as even the drivers of those can fire at you. That particular mission has been one of my favourites so far. Absolutely brilliant :)
    And yeah balkieb I thought the exact same thing, that mansion where you steal the lyrics might become a Diaz mansion style home for you later in the game, and the Driv3r reference was quite good.. Rockstar are fairly brave to put that in!

Yeah it seems like a classic mission with excellent set-pieces, one you'll remember for a while, only problem for me is that my shooting is all over the place with the right analogue stick, meaning that it takes ages to wipe out the latter vehicles, and i go boom fairly quick :(

Will keep trying it and should get it sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement

Yeah it seems like a classic mission with excellent set-pieces, one you'll remember for a while, only problem for me is that my shooting is all over the place with the right analogue stick, meaning that it takes ages to wipe out the latter vehicles, and i go boom fairly quick :(

Will keep trying it and should get it sooner rather than later.

you can change the right stick so it isnt invert controls , I find that makes it alot easier....god help you when you get to the later missions seeing as your finding this one so hard!

Im about 22.9% in. Currently in San Fierro.

I haven't used my ps2 for a shooting game in ages (last shooting game i played was KillZone :D ) so after a bit of practice i'm sure i'll get back into the rythem (sp?) of the game. Forgot my copy of gta when i went home from collage so won't get to play it again till monday, hence my slow progress in the game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

have to say a spiffing piece of software indeed, cant play it much because of work this week but next week ill have 3 days off and ill give it a lash big time

At the moemnet ive bought the gang colours and have done a few drive bys with the gang good struff indeed

Shin

So the cheats are up, they look identical to VC's, which is nice....
    http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/gta4/hints.html

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

looks fkin ****e :(:(

ill have to get into it more... but im not impressed so far

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

there's always 1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Yea the Just Buisness level has to be one of the most enjoyable missions in the GTA series. Tis a bitch aiming with the analogue stick after just playing Vice city on the PC. Have around 15% done and still in Los Santos. Im amazed by the size of this game im still finding new places and hideouts in los santos and thats only one city. Ive made it to San Fierro in the plane but then got shot down like a fish in a barrel. The Gang Territory's worked out really well, adds another non-linear element to the game. Anyone find any horseshoes or oysters yet? Ive found nada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I've found one Oyster. Game definitely seems massive, I can't wait to get out of Los Santos, I made it a fair distance into the country a few times and there looks to be some great stunts out there.
    So the pilots license is coming soon then? I'm on about 12% and not allowed into the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

what a game. nuff said.

stayed up in me college gaff on friday to play it all evening!!

couldnt get up for 9 o clock lectures all week, but i got my arse to gamespot at half 8 on friday you bet ya!

anyone else think the first few missions, haircut and spraycans, are a bit unnessesary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

I dont think there really meant to be missions, just a hidden tutorial.

• Advertisement

steviec wrote:
    I've found one Oyster. Game definitely seems massive, I can't wait to get out of Los Santos, I made it a fair distance into the country a few times and there looks to be some great stunts out there.
    So the pilots license is coming soon then? I'm on about 12% and not allowed into the airport.

ya don't need a liscence ;)
    Fly Airplanes Without The Pilot's License
    Normally, you would need the pilot's license in order to get into the Los Santos airport and fly a plane. But, there is a way to get inside the airport and even fly two different types of planes without ever obtaining the pilot's license.

There is a man outside of the airport in a little building who says "Only people holding a valid pilot's license may enter!". Park a car (Any car, the car does not have to be large) in front of the building that he is in. Then, jump on top of the car, and jump towards the building. You will automatically grab onto the roof of the building. Pull yourself up. From there, you can jump down into the airport and jack a Dodo or a private jet. Enjoy!

Thanx to gamespot

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

what a sweet game!!

that mission pretty early on
    with the incredible T2 reference
    was the best so far

Playback is clearly best station imo, but none of them even come close to V-Rock. havnt listened to the chat station yet tho....

all the mini games!! the pool... the arcade games.... basketball..... lowrider..... the console in Cj's house... soo many! im sure im missing out on some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I've been driving around San Fierro today. God it's huge. There is a MASSIVE bridge connecting the San Fierro Island and third as yet unlocked island. It's so big.. I don't know how the PS2 can handle it.

While it is impressively big I think this also is one of the games faults though, because failing a mission can mean driving ten minutes through a huge countryside area just to get back to the start of the mission. One example of this is the current mission I'm on at the moment. The racing in the countryside. On my first attempt at it my car exploded and I was presented with the "mission failed!" message and I was left stranded in the countryside with no car and a hefty walk back to the nearest road. As mentioned in the EG review, a simple retry option would be perfect in this situation. Just a small complaint on an otherwise brilliant and very impressive experience all round.

The voice over the intercom in Ammu-Nation is absolutely hilarious.
    "Women tired of contruction workers whistling in your direction? Whistle back with a high calibre assault rifle and splatter their brains all over the site!"
    Classic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I am well on my way into Las venturas and its just beginning to seem to easy hope to have it finished by wednesday, so I can trade it in for Football Manager 2005.

Im currently on the mission in San Fierro where you have to take out the curriers with the remote control plane...tis tough. any tips ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

having played GTA3 GTA:VC and now GTA:SA there is one thing that annoys me about SA.

in the first two games you could control your character with the D-pad, now that's not possible.

now maybe it's that i'm not use to using the analouge sticks but it just doesn't feel right to me.

Cremo wrote:
    having played GTA3 GTA:VC and now GTA:SA there is one thing that annoys me about SA.

in the first two games you could control your character with the D-pad, now that's not possible.

now maybe it's that i'm not use to using the analouge sticks but it just doesn't feel right to me.

I'm actually quite used to the analogue stick for walking around but it was the driving that actually screwed me over, many a time i'd start the car and drive straight into another car as i was trying to steer using the d-pad. the sticks also make tricky aiming but don't mind that as plenty of practice will get me over that :)
    I am well on my way into Las venturas and its just beginning to seem to easy hope to have it finished by wednesday, so I can trade it in for Football Manager 2005.

suppose you have 100% unlocked all the secrets as well etc so ya might as well trade it in *cough* bull *cough*

I cant understand why on earth somebody would buy a game and try to complete it in under a week, why not get value out of the game and mess about between missions and stuff like that, make it last!! Especially a GTA game.

I find it hard to believe that anybody could have it 100% completed anyway in such a short time. :rolleyes:
    I'd say its near impossible, unless you play it non stop for like 3 days, which would mean your a freak. :eek:

This evening's 'the Last Word' on Today FM is apprently going to talk about some new computer game...

Err… I was sure I heard the presenter include it in the contents at the start of the show – nothing came up – maybe they went over time or it’s possible playing the game all day has made me crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If anyone is still looking for a copy, I hear Tesco got copies in this evening..

Advertisement