Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Profile Issue

Options
  • 27-10-2004 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

The network I'm working on has a variety of PCs with 98, NT and Windows 2000 Prof. The difficulty is that a lot of users move around and expect their profile to work on every PC. MS Outlook 98 is the mail client. Obviously it is impractical to store a profile for every user on every PC so I need to store a profile on the network. Presumably I need to hold a seperate profile for each OS. Ideally I would like to store all files on the network. Any ideas how I might automate the selection of the correct profile at login? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

why not

1. redirect the users "my documents" to the server
    2. store all PSTs on teh server
    3. Set up a user home folder on the server

then,

set a logon script to run and map the necessary drives.
    When anyone logs in to any PC they can still access their emails and documents and you dont get the hassle of seperate psts and docs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Thanks for the quick reply. Points 1,2,3 already in hand. It's the login script that has me baffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

On the server create a script called common.bat or login.bat for example

a text file with entries like

net use <drive letter>: \\<server>\<directory>

fill in the blanks with the relevant details

eg:

if you want a public folder mapped to the P drive you would have a line saying

net use P: \\<server_name>\public

next go to active directory (users and computers) (I am assuming you have an actual server and not just a PC acting as one) and in the properties of the user account, go to the profile tab, in logon script type your script name - on 2003 the scripts should be created in c:\windows\sysvol\scripts

hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'll give that a go, thanks a million.

Advertisement