Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

imenint release of...

• 20-07-2001 3:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭

film with travolta by the makers of the matrix, name has just escaped me, but then again it is 3:15 smile.gif

is it any good, all ive heard is the spam, and i want some beef.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

I think you're talking about Swordfish.

I'm not sure what it's like.

But i'd be surprised if the hacking element of the film is anything like the real thing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by K!LL!@N:
    I think you're talking about Swordfish.

I'm not sure what it's like.

But i'd be surprised if the hacking element of the film is anything like the real thing though.
    </font>

Mixed reviews. Check IMDB if you want more than that.

Hackery within is, once again, in the land of complete fiction. Then again, real hacking is not terribly exciting and wouldnt make for good action-packed or suspense movies.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Note that its just the producer of the Matrix, not the director, don't go expecting any of the Wachowski brothers trademarks here, in fact I don't think they have anything at all to do with this.

Its directed by Dominic Sena, who if memory serves me directed Kalifornia as well (poster on my wall), don't expect too much, and with Travolta in the lead role its pretty much guaranteed to die at the box office.

I've only seen the trailer and I am going to keep a safe distance from this film. I'd advise you do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

hahaha checked up on imdb..
    heres the plotline:

"The world's most dangerous spy is hired by the CIA to coerce a computer hacker recently released from prison to help steal billions in unused government funds"

oh god no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Imagine the movie Hackers with more guns and special effects.

Now imagine the writers have never seen a computer but a friend of thiers read about them in a magazine and heard they were pretty cool.

Now take 20 tech words totally unrelated and string them together and you will understand how painful it is to watch. You get cool lines like "I broke into thier system in 1 minute by writing a logic bomb and bruteforcing the backdoor and sneaking it in spoofed."

the "This is Unix! I know Unix!" line in Jurrasic park doesn't even come close.

I have one thing nice to say about the movie. The opening sequence where John T is doing his speech about Dog Day afternoon and how Hollywood sucks is brilliant. But the movie is not watching.

Halle's "show my kit for cash" isn't worth it either. Her flashing her boobies is about as relevent to the scene as the princess flashing her kit in Leprechaun IV and you'd see more on a guest page of pay to view pron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"This is Unix! I know Unix!"</font>

After that scene, I so wanted to get UNIX

Even though I was their captive, the Indians allowed me quite a bit of freedom. I could walk freely, make my own meals, and even hurl large rocks at their heads. It was only later that I discovered that they were not Indians at all but only dirty-clothes hampers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    It has a PCI bus!!!
    </font>
    we all love Hackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

LOOK! Its called Swordfish and Halle Berry gets her knockers out so you are going to see it anyway...end of story. Good or Bad movie...WHO CARES!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Paranoid Android

You have to admit though that in films where Hollywood try to break in to the cool "cyberculture" are fun to watch just to look for the bull and mistakes. I love the lines they come up with when talking about computers.

Besides, as has been mentioned before, Halle Berry smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

it's a crap film.
    one cool explosion scene but the rest of it was tripe, imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:

the "This is Unix! I know Unix!" line in Jurrasic park doesn't even come close.
    </font>

hahaha, watched the the other night and cringed at that bit. I also cringed at the fact that when i first saw (on video) i went 'pshaaw, its IRIX' and got slagged for months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

I just saw the trailer for this and I think thats enough for me. Is it a comedy 'cos I nearly ****ed myself laughing biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I've often wondered about this; how come any depictions of computers in films (and tv) are almost always completly unrealistic?.

Are there copyright issues involved?, like you cant show somthing like windows 98 or the Mac os in a film.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hecate:
    Are there copyright issues involved?, like you cant show somthing like windows 98 or the Mac os in a film.</font>

Product placement.

There is nothing to stop say a movie showing windows OS, however normally the people making the film would want a wad of cash up front beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

well I've just been to see it and; well its actually quite good smile.gif

If you ignore the ridiculous hacking plot and stupid jargon, the film moves along at an extremely fast pace and some the action sequences are just completly insane and overblown, which makes it good in my book.

leave your brain at the door etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hecate:
    I've often wondered about this; how come any depictions of computers in films (and tv) are almost always completly unrealistic?.
    </font>
    Because it would be like watching paint dry if it was realistic smile.gif

Advertisement