Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can you broadcast radio on the internet legally without a license?

Options
  • 27-10-2004 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

i was just wondering if it is possible to broadcast radio on the internet LEGALLY without a license.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Yes you can as it is not broadcasting it is streaming. You can stream your very own station if you like. There's plenty of postings across the boards that will tell you what software to use etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭McGonagles

BrianD wrote:
    Yes you can as it is not broadcasting it is streaming.

Are you sure that is the case in Ireland?

Because it's not the case in the USA:
    http://www.dnalounge.com/audio/faq.html#download
    http://www.dnalounge.com/backstage/webcasting.html

Are you sure that IMRO or IRMA or someone else won't want
    to squeeze some money out of every webcaster?

You also risk getting the "gimme money" treatment if you use MP3, because the
    MP3 format is patented. It might take a while for the patent holders to notice you, but
    when they do, you can be sure they will want to sting you for back royalties aswell.

Using WMA/ASF/ASX may be the easiest if you run Windoze, but you are automatically
    restricting everyone who doesn't also run it from listening to you (support for Windoze
    Media on non-Windoze systems is flaky at best, and will probably break every time MSFT
    moves the goalposts for WMA. You think MSFT give a monkey's about Mac or Linux users?)

Plug: OGG Vorbis!
    It's free, open source, not patent-encumbered, it works with Winamp, and it sounds
    better than MP3 for the same or lower bit rates. When you encode for streaming, you can
    have one stream which can be served at the streamed rate, and your (Icecast) server can
    use "bitrate peeling" to support all slower rates aswell. In other words, no more having to
    encode a 128K stream, and also encode slower streams for listeners on slower connections.

More info from http://www.xiph.org/ and http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

I do amatuer web streaming over shoutcast, and there are thousands upon thousands of international listeners on the shoutcast network. The vast majority streaming via mp3. I have never heard of trouble arising with fraunhoffer over the patents. Besides their new deal is the mp4s which are getting super hot now that aacs on i tunes have exploded in popularity, and even winamp will encode rip cds to mp4.

IMRO would be the nearest thing to a worry i'd have, but they really aren't monitering it at all. Nor is there any irish regulations that I know of.

On another point although the OGG Vorbis format is of slightly higher quality, ( dear god don't go near wmas, the quicker microsponge realises its a death format the better for us all ) i would still say go for mp3. You will be paying the company for the codecs anywho of the streaming software you use so, they will have no problems, plus it is a universal format, everything plays mp3s!

also there is even a plug in for winamp that lets you stream whats playing in winamp online. the plug in is free, and cna be obtained from the winamp site, and winamp is free too. the relaying at shoutcast is also free, but you have to host the stream yourself sadly, which is free but limits how many listeners you have, based on the quality of your connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭omnicorp

do you need a transmitter and other equipment?
    Is broadband needed?
    Do you need to pay royalties etc...

Okay this is what you need, and the cheapest way I have found to broadcast.

1. A PC, preferabley a dedicated machine for the job of the station. The PC must have an Internet connection, the faster the better. Also a good quality soundcard is always useful. I used to get by on a soundblaster live card, but I upgraded to a Soundblaster Audigy 2 and it makes things easier.

2. An account with a relaying service, such as live365, icecast, shoutcast etc. The one I have is shoutcast because it is free. It is the only one I have tryed but they provide everything you need free of charge. You need to visit their site and go through the procedures for setting up a broadcaster. This just acts as a door for your station. Users go to shoutcast.com find your station in shoutcasts directory of stations, and click listen.

3. Streaming software on that PC you are using. I use an application called SAM2 broadcaster by spacial audio. Go to their website for more information. I have found it does the job pretty well, no complaints. It is simple to use, and as long as your music library is well kept you should have no problems.

4. A Microphone if you want to stream speech with your station. To be honest anything will do really, you will be compressing the stream before it leaves you down to between 28kbps to 128kbps ( if you get someone to relay ). The more like option of a 28kbps stream means that buying a good quality mic won't be rewarded with the broadcast quality it deserves. If possible get a directional mic if you are operating where there may be excess noise, otherwise get any decent musicians vocal mic.

Thats it really. A few points though

The internet connection is the big one. The rule is that if you decide to broadcast at... lets say.... 32kbps mp3 streaming, then if you have an 512kbps broadband connection the absolute maximum amount of listeners you can have is 16. ( 512/32 = 16 )

In practise this will be less because you never get the full 512 when connection to your ISP. Loads of unavoidable things so that maybe you will only get a max of 12 people who can listen.

The way to get round this to a) Get some hefty fiber optic cabling, run it from your pc to your ISP, knock on their door and say "Bee-atch, hook me up" or something similar.

That isn't gonna work, but if you want to try it, by all means do.

The common thing is to get a host account, what happens here is that instead of all your listeners feeding off your connection speed, you get this company who offers to host it for you, and they use that companies usually beast connection. So what you do is, send them your stream, so that you only use up the quality of your broadcast in the connection. example, you stream at 28kbps then you use 28, you stream at 128kbps you use 128 etc.

These guys charge for their services though, so thats where business and financial thinking comes in, thinking that I am not strong in so I best not explain.

Anywho, hope that helps :D

Colly~!

oh and royalites wise, technically you should be paying IMRO or some people like that, publishing company types, but at the moment there is no real regulations or knowledge of wrong-doing by the powers on high. So its pretty much free reign, there will probably some new rules put in place or clampdown/more fess but for the moment its easy pickings really.

• Advertisement

right, but for 16 listeners, it doesn't seem worth it.

but if you want to "broadcast" in some shape or form those 16 listeners are more than enough.

yeah, but what would it cost?

okay, if you want to stream to those approx 16 listeners it will cost you...

The PC ( which you already have I take it )
    The Internet connection ( for a dial up you can have 2 listeners, for 512k broadband 16 and so on )
    The account at www.shoutcast.com ( for free )
    And the software ( SAM2 broadcaster , www.spacialaudio.com to order it etc, or you can get it pirate if you want it free and are so inclined but I discourage it)

So potentially if you have all these it is free to broadcast to those 16 listeners.

I do it on this scale. The station I run is for a music website though. Designed so that since there is on average 20 visitors on the site at any given time, they can listen to music and stuff as they are surfing and request songs etc. as they surf in a thread on our boards.

Due to the restrictions of time though and the fact that I would have to have another connection, the service is only available at peak times.

It is still extremely fulfilling as you can have listeners from across the world, and when you get feedback on your show its just worth it.

I'd recommend you head into it if you can.

sounds worth it, but... could you say broadcast by voice aswell and can you loop it so that you don't have to constantly be at the computer?

• Advertisement

what would the easiest way to do it is....

in SAM2 you can set up a playlist of mp3s etc. to play on for as long as you make the play list.

If you record your voice onto your pc you can set it up that it plays that file after a certain track etc.

thats a good idea.
    how much did it cost you and whats the web address of your site?

I can't remember how much it cost me ::cough::cough::pirate::cough::cough::

and the site is www.goldenplec.com but the service is suspended while we figure out ways of linking streaming locations. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭ozone6280

legofsalmon can we have a link to your station so we can listen to it

heh :confused:

Okay the plan for the next while is that we were trying to set up a way to broadcast from multiple locations, i.e. have 2 or 3 studios so it would make more shows more viable ( we have people from the tallaght area, and celbridge who are interested in doing shows, sadly i'm out in Swords so makes travel a bitch ). So the station is down for tests, but if you want to listen in to whatever sound is coming out then you're welcome to.

does require winamp to make sure it runs properly. Although I know people have managed to connect using quicktime and relaplayer so I dunno whats going on with that !!! :S

Goldenplec Radio

if you can hear stuff and or have any problems it would actually help the testing so :D

Colly~!

but it's worth it though? and I'm guessing you son't "make" any money though?

well unless you want to make it big, and get a good big listenership then you might be able to make money from it if you coax a sponser or advertiser in. If you do fair play to you.

If anyone listens in, I apologise for 32kbps, but its the best I can do at the mo while i'm testing. thanks :)

you're Joe Duffy!!!
    I'd recognise that voice if I'd ever bothered to listen to him.

heh, well if my mic was set up then maybe.

Ah you should listen to Joe Duffy tis gas craic! Him and Marian, oh bless her she's getting axed but still a gas show! :D

yeah, I think that guy who used to do the after dark show on 98fm was the funnies t guy.
    They axed him though :(

• Advertisement

really? ahh I was never a big 98fm fan so my radio dial didn't linger too long there.

Usually end up listen to bbc radio on the web, some extremely great shows there.

what about Adrian Kennedy?
    annoying little ****** I agree but team him with Jeremy Dixon...

Ah I was glad to hear the BCC upheld a complaint made against his show, some of the stuff you get on it is real tripe. Some of it is okay, discussions are good but the way they do it in a free for all isn't really fair.

heh and the friday sex chat thing on Spin got a complaint :D I was waiting for that to happen :)

how do you find out these complaints.
    where can I see them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Eoin DM

This radio busy-ness sounds very interesting, I might try it myself! :eek:

I don't know you?
    possibe, just a thought.

anyway, where can I find those complaints?
    or, where can I complain?

so you should Eoin! well done sir!

The people who you should complain to are the BCC ( Broadcast Complaints Commission ).

I just saw the complants on an extremely good irish radio site called Radiowaves.fm, well worth a look and even a bookmarking.

the site for the BCC is oddly enough www.bcc.ie and if you want any info on the licensing aspect of broadcasting then check out the BCI ( Broadcasting Commission of Ireland ) on www.bci.ie

okay, Dr. Static is trying, (compaliaining) and "trying" to find out about licences.
    How about OmniCorp FM(?)

:confused:

Eh I dunno...... :confused:

• Advertisement

what? I dunno what thats abvout either

Advertisement