Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband and a wireless network...

• 27-10-2004 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hey all,

would appreciate any help anyone can give with this issue.

I have an NTL Broadband connection, with a USB modem. The modem has both USB and Ethernet connections. This modem is currently connected through the USB to a PC (USB so doesnt require any settings, IP address etc.)

I have a laptop, fitted with a wireless card, which i want to connect to the net over the same bb connection, and i have bought a belkin wireless router.
    (the ADSL Modem with built in Wireless Router to be exact).

Now, I hadnt realised that the ADSL was incompatible witht the NTL connection(first stupid mistake), so what im looking for now is some way to connect the bb through the router, so as i can wire the desktop PC to the router via ethernet and the laptop upstairs can use the wireless connection.

Has anybody tried something similar? If the BB connected into the correct port on the router (ie. the ADSL por) i wouldnt have a problem - the desktop would simply connect as part of the network.

Is there some way of either connecting the modem through the ethenet ports, os ANY other way??? (without sacrficing the desktop as a server - cant be on 24/7)

please, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Is there a WAN port on the router? If it's just the RJ11 for the phone line and the 4/5 switch ports then you're probably out of luck. I'd try get it exchanged for a regular wireless router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

..modem is currently connected through the USB to a PC (USB so doesnt require any settings, IP address etc.)
    ?? You don't require any "settings, IP address etc" either if you use ethernet. Better yet, you don't need to install any special drivers either!
    MrPinK wrote:
    Is there a WAN port on the router? If it's just the RJ11 for the phone line and the 4/5 switch ports then you're probably out of luck. I'd try get it exchanged for a regular wireless router.
    The ADSL port is the WAN port on an ADSL router.

You can't use an "ADSL router" if you don't have ADSL.

Advertisement