Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NTL Broadband and a wireless network...

• 27-10-2004 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hey all,

would appreciate any help anyone can give with this issue.

I have an NTL Broadband connection, with a USB modem. The modem has both USB and Ethernet connections. This modem is currently connected through the USB to a PC (USB so doesnt require any settings, IP address etc.)

I have a laptop, fitted with a wireless card, which i want to connect to the net over the same bb connection, and i have bought a belkin wireless router.
    (the ADSL Modem with built in Wireless Router to be exact).

Now, I hadnt realised that the ADSL was incompatible witht the NTL connection(first stupid mistake), so what im looking for now is some way to connect the bb through the router, so as i can wire the desktop PC to the router via ethernet and the laptop upstairs can use the wireless connection.

Has anybody tried something similar? If the BB connected into the correct port on the router (ie. the ADSL por) i wouldnt have a problem - the desktop would simply connect as part of the network.

Is there some way of either connecting the modem through the ethenet ports, os ANY other way??? (without sacrficing the desktop as a server - cant be on 24/7)

please, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭happydude13

what model is the belkin router thingy ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

I dont think the belkin modem/routers have an ethernet uplink port. You may have to bite the bullet on this one and buy a wireless AP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I know my own cable router allows you to disable the WAN side, and allow the router to work solely as a router/DHCP server on an LAN. I've had a brief look over the manual for yours, and it doesn't seem to be possible to disable the DSL bit, but that may not matter.

You'll need to set up your PC to act as a gateway to the internet. Leave the DSL modem plugged into your PC. Give your PC a static IP address. Find out what the default IP for the wireless router will be (Usually 192.168.1.1 or something similar), then give the PC the next ip (e.g. 192.168.1.2). Get the ip addresses of your DNS servers, and then hardcode them into your router's setup. Then tell your router to assign IP addresses atuomatically, starting from 192.1683.1.3 (your mileage may vary)

Now when you connect the laptop, the router will assign it an IP address, and give it the DNS server numbers. It will also set the default gateway as 192.168.1.1 (or the router's IP address). If you change this to the IP of the PC, and assuming the PC is set up properly as a gateway, the laptop will have net access.

So this is obviously not ideal. In order for the laptop to access the net, the PC needs to be on. There's a bit of tinkering each time you want to connect to the net, instead of simply plug in and go.

I'd advise bringing the ADSL Router back to the shop (or flog it if they won't take it) and buying a broadband/cable router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I have the Linksys WRT54G wireless router (I have the one without the Speedbooster feature linked)
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE945719&productID=96265

I plug the ntl modem's ethernet port into the appropriate ethernet port on the router and it just works.
    No probs with either router or modem. Good signal even downstairs in the opposite of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kermitdfrog

thanks everyone...

seems the general consensus is to just bring this one bakc, which i will duly do tomorrow before my 16day money back gurantee runs out!!

seamus - had thought of doing it that way, but obviously the whole leaving the pc on has its drawbacks.

daymobrew - thats exactly what im looking for - a router speciafically catering for the CATV broadband feed, no complications. nice one! and the fact that you're using it with ntl is very reassuring.

thanks all

• Advertisement
Advertisement