Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

advice on speakers

Options
  • 27-10-2004 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

Im buying a pioneer stereo from incarexpress.co.uk. Someone on boards suggested it and its a great site. I was going to buy the same model in the local motor store in town but at 170 euro it is 130 euro cheaper on line.
    Now the problem is that i dont know anything about speakers.
    Im still going to spend 300 but for that price i can also get these speakers. They are component speakers and the site reccomends that component speakers are best.
    There are four stock speakers in the car already. The ones in the back are ok quality but the ones in the front are barely audible. The guy in the motor store says to just buy four standard speakers but by the way he was talking i dont think he even knew what component speakers are.
    should i get a set of component speakers and just replace the back or front?
    or should i get four standard speakers?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Jp

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

What kind of car do you drive? If it's relatively common, you should be able to get good quality direct replacement speakers from most of the main ICE brands. There's really no need to go for anything that'll need interior hacking unless you're a complete audiophile or you're installing amps.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Its a 94 civic.
    Im not an audiophile whatever that is :) and im not installing an amp.
    Just want good sound from a decent set of speakers.
    Excuse my ignorance but what are "ICE BRANDS"?

Bicky wrote:
    Its a 94 civic.
    There'll be bogloads of aftermarket direct replacements for that.
    Im not an audiophile whatever that is
    Audio = sound, phile = strong interest. Audio-phile.
    Excuse my ignorance but what are "ICE BRANDS"?
    ICE = In Car Entertainment. Pioneer, Blaupunkt, Clarion, etc.

Go into a dealer and ask for catalogues. The direct replacement speakers are usually in the back of the catalogues, listed by make and model.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

If you can afford a set of components then gor for it.
    Much better sound then standard speakers, especially Custome fit.

all you have to do is split the wires coming from the radio into the crossover that comes with the component set.

After that one set of wires goes to the main speaker the other goes to the tweeters.
    30min. job

Thanks for the replys.
    What is a crossover?
    Should i put the components in the front or back?
    Where are the tweeters placed?

• Advertisement

Louie is right in that you may get better sound, however it should be noted that your DIY skills are a factor too. I ran a custom system in another car of mine which required hacking of the door skins, but I was quite comfortable doing that. If you're comfortable hacking the car, then fair enough. Just remember the golden rule: Measure twice, cut once. :)
    Bicky wrote:
    What is a crossover?
    A crossover splits the frequencies coming from the amplifier and sends the highs to the tweeter and lows to the bass driver. The crossover is often built into the bass unit.
    Should i put the components in the front or back?
    Depends on a lot of factors, like where the speakers are and again, your DIY skills.
    Where are the tweeters placed?
    High frequencies are more directional than lows, so you should get them around head height. They're usually placed at the tops of the door panels or on the A pillar. Try to avoid obstructions between the drivers and your audio receptors*.

adam

*Ears.

dahamsta wrote:
    The crossover is often built into the bass unit.
    I dont have a bass unit and dont intend on getting one.
    Do i have to buy a crossover or will it come included?
    dahamsta wrote:
    audio receptors*.
    Ears
    :D

Bicky wrote:
    I dont have a bass unit and dont intend on getting one.
    I meant mid/bass.
    Do i have to buy a crossover or will it come included?
    If the components come together, the crossover will be included; usually built into the mid/bass unit.

adam

Thanks dahamsta for answering my silly questions.
    Karma going your way.

Advertisement