Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

htaccess problem

Options
  • 27-10-2004 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

hi,
    Im working with a CMS system at the moment.
    i added the htaccess file with security features that i got from that CMS community.
    however this redirects all html requests to index.php
    as the site is in testing i want the html to show up as the index page and not the php file.

therefore i renamed the index.php to something else (as the sites not ready yet)

now what im getting is a 404 error - even when i delete the htaccess file

when i visit the root of the site i should see the index.html file should i not??

TNX for any help

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Yes, if DirectoryIndex is configured correctly. However the 404 is odd, because even if it isn't you should be getting a directory listing or "Directory Listing Denied" error. Are you sure the VirtualHost is set up correctly? Check your error log to see what that's saying, should be in /var/log/httpd/error_log or somesuch.

Let us know which CMS it is while you're at it, and post the contents of the .htaccess file.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

dahamsta wrote:
    Yes, if DirectoryIndex is configured correctly. However the 404 is odd, because even if it isn't you should be getting a directory listing or "Directory Listing Denied" error. Are you sure the VirtualHost is set up correctly? Check your error log to see what that's saying, should be in /var/log/httpd/error_log or somesuch.

Let us know which CMS it is while you're at it, and post the contents of the .htaccess file.

adam

adam tnx for reply..

my problem was that the ".htaccess" file cant be seen on my server with WSFTP. therefore i was making my changes to a "htaccess" which obviously had no effect..

tnx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

There should be a setting that shows hidden files, or files that start with a period in WS

Advertisement