Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football Manager Vs Championship Manager 5

• 27-10-2004 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

So theres something like 9 days to the release of Football Manager, but having seen the reaction to the demo, Im inclined to wait and buy CM5 when its available (rumoured to be december 16th).

According to the CM5 review.. "Sick of having to put the kettle on between matches? CM5 will provide a much faster gaming experience than before. "
    So I think that feature alone is something worth waiting for. Im wary of buying football manager anyway considering CM4 was useless out of the box.

So... Who's waiting for CM5 and Who's going for Football Manager in 9 days time?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Im buying football manager because i know what im getting the gold demo was great and im not stupid enough to buy the hype of some 2 bit dev team who had less than 1 year to build a brand new database and code

oh and i think cm5 wont be out till next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

But would the Eidos development team not have had full access to the CM4 code well before the companies parted ways?

I dont fancy paying to be a glorified tester for FM as I was for CM4.

No si games owns the code and database any use of it would be be against the law i would think.Edois owns the "look" and name of champ manager.

Cm4 was bad even si admited that but fm2005 plays far better have you tryed the gold demo ?

I havent played the demo, my connection is so slow the full version would be out before it finished downloading.

Have they done anything about not being able to make any changes or play with your team while the other matches are processing?

With CM4 ya needed a NASA standard PC for it to work any way quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

CM4 was a bit of a joke alright..

granted i didnt ever update it, but when i got cm0304 i didnt have to.. cm0304 was sweet as a nut ^_^

Definately going for football manager, the gold demo was great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Going with FM aswell.
    Haven't played the demo, stuck in 56k hell.
    Not long now anyway til it's out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Ive got FM pre-ordered . Id say Cm 5 would just be a waste of my time .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

I ve played both the Beta Demo and Gold Demo of FM2005 . I ve only seen screenshots of the new CM5 game , there will only be one winner . FM2005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Football Manager being out so early will give it a major advantage anyway

but I don't see why people are writing off champ manger so soon, without even seeing a demo of the game!

Eidos surely know that if they want to be able to compete with CM then they've gotta to have a more than decent game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I wouldnt bother with either of them straight away, not worse than playing a game of CM, doing well but finding a bug it that can only be repaired by the latest patch, which only then works with new games. Wait for the patches first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Nuttzz wrote:
    I wouldnt bother with either of them straight away, not worse than playing a game of CM, doing well but finding a bug it that can only be repaired by the latest patch, which only then works with new games. Wait for the patches first!

Good point, but I need a game!!

I think I'll get FM, but make sure not to get too attached to any of my seasons (yeah, like thats gonna happen!)

Nuttzz wrote:

If everybody did that, there'd be no patches because nobody would be playing them.
    Bugs or no bugs, I want my game as soon as possible. :D

Makaveli wrote:
    If everybody did that, there'd be no patches because nobody would be playing them.
    Ditto =D

Imagine this scenario..

You're selling a nice big software package to a company's managing director..
    He says.. "I dont want to give you our money until the software is clear of all bugs that effect the performance of the software badly"..

And you say...

"Sure if everyone thought like that then nobody would ever give the software an oul lash havin paid for it! Relax and pay up and hope for the best..!"

He'd soon show ya where the door is.

The lesson here.. When they get the software fit for sale, then they can have me 30 quid for it. I dont pay for the privilage of testing someones software.

Watch you don't fall off your high horse there..

teehee.. I might fall flat on my face.. a bit like CM4! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

FM seems good, but takes an aaaaaaaaaage to setup a new game! :( Heheh :)

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    FM seems good, but takes an aaaaaaaaaage to setup a new game! :( Heheh :)

Is the game itself any quicker though?? Like can ya make changes to the team while the other games are processing?

Aye, 4 different "processing matches" options in regards to how fast it does it/ability to change team during the time etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Makaveli wrote:

Play away and find those bugs for me then :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hauptmann

Whats the story with the eircom league in Football Manager? Does it have the new setup with 12 team premier next year and Setanta Cup with the northern teams? Also does it have the new group Uefa Cup?

It does have a cross border cup, not into next season yet, tho you can pick 2005 as a start date for Irish Leagues. Hoping I can win the CL in 1 year with Shelbourne again! :) Actually, hope the board are more willing to wage increases!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

is football manager 2005 worth getting.Its in the shops now but is it really worth it and what are the teams in the eircom league like? Is it better than cm 03/04.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Just home with my copy. Installing as I type. The excitement.....

I got mine too.. First impressions are good, but the squad screen is awful. Way too cluttered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Its fantstic. Squad screen is a little cluttered ill agree but easy to get used too. Lots of options to speed up the game as well which is a big bonus and the 2d is much better than 03/04. Ive enjoyed using and tweaking the tactics as well. Havent gotten into the training yet but that will come eventually. the media interaction is second to none

Thing that most annoys me tho. The UEFA cup is called the Euro Cup and the Intertoto the Euro Vase. Licensing issue i assume. But ****ty none the less.

the game is fúcking huuuuuuuuugre by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You can change all that in the editor with three minutes work. And give Oliver Kahn his real name back too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I really like the game so far,but i did expect it to be better. The manager mind games is class,but other than that i dont think there is enough media involvement. Also it says on the offical footie manager site that agents send you 2d clips of players in action. Has anyone seen that in the game? Or was it just something they thought of putting in but just didnt bother!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

How do you guys handle the training? I've everything set to default. I much preferred the old training system in 01/02, this is just too much work.

• Advertisement

haven't seen the 2d clips fron the agents thing yet.. probably not managing a high enough profile club yet.. Forest :)

training is better than 0304.. they already have defensse/atack scehdules setup :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I just got the game today , and am typing this just a minute after 'a session' of Football manager , and damn that game is great .

I started as KR in Iceland .I love the new 2D pitch aswell as all the other new features .

IT takes a while to get used to the new setup , and where all the buttons are and what they do , but once you're used to them , they are much handier .

Is it better than 03/04 , I certainly think so . :D .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

How fast is it?

I only have a 600mhz P3 and 256ram, would it run alrite?
    I did have cm 03/04 running on it though and its ment to be faster than that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

I really like the game so far,but i did expect it to be better. The manager mind games is class,but other than that i dont think there is enough media involvement. Also it says on the offical footie manager site that agents send you 2d clips of players in action. Has anyone seen that in the game? Or was it just something they thought of putting in but just didnt bother!!!
    Yeah, ive had several offers from div 1 players (Jason Roberts, Marlon King)

Managing Middlesbrough (in late oct atm), won all my friendlies, won all euro games so far, into 4th round of the league cup, but i cant win a premiership game! Im languishing in 18th, half my squad think we should be topping the table but at least my board thinks im doing a good job.

Its refreshing as i always used to walk through the other ones. Excellent overall game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

How fast is it?

I only have a 600mhz P3 and 256ram, would it run alrite?
    I did have cm 03/04 running on it though and its ment to be faster than that?

Im running it (albeit VERY slowly) on a PII 300mhz with 128mb ram.

If you're only planning on running a couple of leagues it should be fine.

Marlon Kings a bit ****.. :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i ovdered one copy of it from play.com for my brother, it arrived yesterday
    and another copy arrived today
    nice one play.com :D

iv yet to get my fecking copy :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Im running it (albeit VERY slowly) on a PII 300mhz with 128mb ram.

If you're only planning on running a couple of leagues it should be fine.

ye but the min. spec says 600mhz with 128ram so how are you running it!?

I dont want to get it if it takes ages between games and stuff it just does me head in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ye but the min. spec says 600mhz with 128ram so how are you running it!?

I dont want to get it if it takes ages between games and stuff it just does me head in.

you should try and buy some second hand ram
    i sold some pc100/pc133 (the type of ram your cpu takes) a while ago 256mb for €30
    if you have 512mb of ram the game would run good

bizmark wrote:
    iv yet to get my fecking copy :confused:

I only got mine yesterday, it had been posted 10 days previously.
    Didn't get much chance to play it though, seems faster than CM03/04 anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement