Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oft-confused words

• 27-10-2004 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

Has anyone else noticed how the words 'discrete' and 'discreet' are too often confused (not least on Boards)?

For the record, 'discreet' can mean prudent, cautious, showing restraint, or just generally doing something on the QT.

'Discrete' on the other hand, describes unconnected, separate entities. It is usually a mathematical term, to describe points on a line, for example.

Is this so hard to grasp?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Wow, and I thought people were just repetitively misspelling discreet.

I dislike people confusing accept and except. It's highly irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

just like affect and effect aswell.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The one that really bugs me is how "loose" (not tight) has almost replaced "lose" (misplace) in the English language. Even people I would consider intelligent have sent me e-mails with the misspelling in it. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Now that one is annoying. It's funny when someone calls someone else a "looser". I can understand how people make the mistake, phoenetically thinking, but still... they're common enough words, people shouldn't be making the mistake at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

The way people misuse "less" and fewer" annoys me.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I know it has been mentioned on another thread in this forum, but the "you're" and "your" thing really annoys me - e.g. "your an idiot".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I hate when people confuse 'employee' and 'slave'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Frankie Smith

i, like, have a friend who's, you know, bad at english? it's like, so annoying?

the old there, their, they're mistake is shockingly prevalent. it's primary school stuff, not to mention use of the apostrophe for plurals, eg. "the boy's went to the shop"

Advertisement