Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Husband

Options
  • 28-10-2004 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

After Spending All Of My Working Life Working..... Am Now At Home Because Roles Have Reversed. But I Get All Done As Told By "she Who Must Be Obayed" By Mid-morning. Whats The Story?? What Do You Girls Spend Your Time Doing? Suggestions !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Getting their hair and nails done... Duh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Day time TV.... you go girlfriend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Bessacadia

2oddsox wrote:
    After Spending All Of My Working Life Working..... Am Now At Home Because Roles Have Reversed. But I Get All Done As Told By "she Who Must Be Obayed" By Mid-morning. Whats The Story?? What Do You Girls Spend Your Time Doing? Suggestions !!
    You manage all of it by mid morning??
    No kids then..... I worked days, and hubby eves, (till 12.30 or so)He sat around ALL DAY watching racing on Sky, sleeping on sofa etc. Occasionally he might remember to load the dishwasher. At 4 when he left for work and the kids came in from school, he would order them to hoover, tidy up etc so I would not be pissed off when I came back.No ironing done, no loo cleaned, no washing put in, no towels put away etc......
    BUT I suppose if you DO do all that, you are entitled to scroll thru all the Sky channels , have a snooze, take the dog out, go on the net.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

"Hush up children, poppa's watchin' his stories."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

2oddsox wrote:

I'd love to be a SAHM but unfortunately I have to work but when I am off on hols or whatever I find I have most stuff done by lunch time too. Then I usually watch a bit of tv, have a bath if baba is asleep, then head out for a walk to the park or into town. During the summer I'd go to the beach or maybe a day trip to somewhere like Fota Island. There is lots of stuff you can do and enjoy it while you can. A picnic is always a success with kids. Once the weather is nice that is. Bring a book or mag and let the kids run around. Other activities you could do with kids is maybe some arts & crafts or cooking. Kids love to make cakes. It really depends on the kids ages. What age are your kid/kids? Maybe if you let us know we could offer you more suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 2oddsox

Well I Got 4 Kids, But Not A Problem For Things To Do When They Around. Its Like This... By 11 In Morning Most Stuff Is Done. Have First Pick Up From School At 1.30 So That Gives About 2 Hours Free. Too Long To Be Hanging Around, Not Long Enough To Get Into Anything Serious. Must Be Just A Man/woman Thing. For Instance When She Did The Weekly Shopping I`d Be Lucky If She Be Back By Lunchtime, I`m Back Home By 10.30. Explain!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Bessacadia

Easy - Weekly Shopping is BORING. Therefore, you, as a man, just do it. We, as women, take an age because we stop off to look at nail polish,agonise over whether we should try a new shampoo, compare the price of Kelloggs cornflakes (cents per kilo) to Tescos own cornflakes,etc. It alleviates the tedium somewhat......

Point Taken. But That Dose Not Explain Away The Time Taken For Ironing, Cutting Grass, Doing Lunches, Etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

2oddsox wrote:
    Point Taken. But That Dose Not Explain Away The Time Taken For Ironing, Cutting Grass, Doing Lunches, Etc..
    Stop With The Unnecessary Capitals Please! ;) Men are just faster then women, not much you can do about it, just feel superior for one or two hours a day :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

*cough , cough * Don't ask , why do you think we buy so many batteries ! ;)

• Advertisement

never thought of that one kitten. And is also true that a man can have "fun for one" in a shorter time too. HaHA :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

2oddsox wrote:
    Well I Got 4 Kids, But Not A Problem For Things To Do When They Around. Its Like This... By 11 In Morning Most Stuff Is Done. Have First Pick Up From School At 1.30 So That Gives About 2 Hours Free. Too Long To Be Hanging Around, Not Long Enough To Get Into Anything Serious. Must Be Just A Man/woman Thing. For Instance When She Did The Weekly Shopping I`d Be Lucky If She Be Back By Lunchtime, I`m Back Home By 10.30. Explain!!

So you're problem is you are kid/wife free for 2 hours from 11-1ish. What's your problem again ;) . Enjoy it boy - a lot of us would love to have that 2 hours of "me" time everyday. I know I would - I'd just chill out or go to the gym or for a walk along the beach. As for the shopping I'm more like a man there and despise doing grocery shopping I just wanna get in and out as quickly as possible. Clothes/make-up shopping is different though - I like that. Maybe you could join a gym or leisure club and have a swim and sauna or do some training.

Skittishkitten - thanks for reminding me - knew there was something to add to my shopping list :)

your possibly right. I`m just too good at what i do. will find somthing to fill the time. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

1st you don't admit how easy it is to get the basics sorted. You'll be told about nothing but 'what you missed' for the rest of the week. The gym is a good outlet as is 'Boards' but from 8am to 6pm you are walking into another dimension. You become "The one they don't talk to in the school yard". There are others in the same boat as you, but as yet We have not grouped together and found what it is that will take the place of Coffee mornings and wasted chat.

We can do more................

Cal

nice one CAL.
    maybe we should hatch a sinister plot....................................

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

2oddsox wrote:
    never thought of that one kitten. And is also true that a man can have "fun for one" in a shorter time too. HaHA :D

And without the need of those expensive batteries.;)

2oddsox you must be forgetting to do something can you post an itenary of your normal day and the ladies here will put you right.
    :D

not forgetting anything.. am left instructions from the boss for all that needs doing. get it all done. Because she checks, even though she says she not checking up on me. and thats it.... simple.

HELP....SHOCK....HORROR>>>>>>>>>The stupid bloody %^$** washing machine is broke. (And it was not my fault) repair man not here till wednesday. Now i have to call, on my mammy to use hers. Ah but I`m sure it will pass away some of the time. Hahaha!!

And So the downhill slide begins ............ Murphy's law in effect here .....what can go wrong, will go wrong ......and it will be all your fault. ;) Be careful if she whips out the white glove ...... or worse ( best ) be careful if she whips out the whip ;)

2oddsox wrote:
    HELP....SHOCK....HORROR>>>>>>>>>The stupid bloody %^$** washing machine is broke. (And it was not my fault) repair man not here till wednesday. Now i have to call, on my mammy to use hers. Ah but I`m sure it will pass away some of the time. Hahaha!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

[2oddsox
    Well I Got 4 Kids, But Not A Problem For Things To Do When They Around. Its Like This... By 11 In Morning Most Stuff Is Done. Have First Pick Up From School At 1.30 So That Gives About 2 Hours Free. Too Long To Be Hanging Around, Not Long Enough To Get Into Anything Serious. Must Be Just A Man/woman Thing. For Instance When She Did The Weekly Shopping I`d Be Lucky If She Be Back By Lunchtime, I`m Back Home By 10.30. Explain!! ]
    singel workin mum live wit parents, i have to do all house work as parents believe me and my little grl are the ones who make the mess (whatever)! anyways when im at home for the day get up at6.30 get stuff ready for school .7 have shower 7;15 get dressed 7:30 make cooked breakfast 8am get daughter up. between 8am and 8 45 i get her dressed feed cleaned and walking out the door. 9;15 go to shops back at latest 10;15(walking the whole way dont have car house 15 mins from shops). put away shopping start to tidy up house work done by 11 30. then i do the work wash windows skirting boards floors doors showers toilets ect... then do pick up usualy 3 kids two not mine make food for all. sit down do homework with kids go to park come home bath my own. send others home and then read stories or watch a dvd, make and have dinner and she's then in bed at 8;30 latest. then i clean up after dinner and realax or go out.

but when i'm in work get up at6 have quick shower tidy up kitchen after dad (out to work at 4 am) get me dressed, tidy up house do some iorning (get stuff ready for school night before). wake up child get her dressed feed washed and out the door get her to school. get on bus do make up on bus read, go work till6;30 pick up daughter from minders. check homework do shopping at weekends no time if not off work during the week then at 8 ish when she's down for the night i do my house work...

• Advertisement

And So the downhill slide begins ............ Murphy's law in effect here .....what can go wrong, will go wrong ......and it will be all your fault. ;) Be careful if she whips out the white glove ...... or worse ( best ) be careful if she whips out the whip ;)

:eek: "KNOWING MURPHY`S LAW IS NO COMPENSATION"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

but when i'm in work get up at6 have quick shower tidy up kitchen after dad (out to work at 4 am) get me dressed, tidy up house do some iorning (get stuff ready for school night before). wake up child get her dressed feed washed and out the door get her to school. get on bus do make up on bus read, go work till6;30 pick up daughter from minders. check homework do shopping at weekends no time if not off work during the week then at 8 ish when she's down for the night i do my house work...

Thats one tough schedule.

wow cajun, Seems a lot when you go to write it down... because i tried to write out my day the other night, gave up because it went on so long.
    And so this is my delima....
    A)i have every sympathy for every woman who has to orginise a household. B) whats the big deal, why all the moaning?

Not sure which side of the coin i am running with!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

You could reverse the roles and just sit there thinking of reasons not to have esx with your other half when she comes home from work! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 producer

Hi there dads,

Want to see how your other half would handle things at home if you weren't there?

I'm the producer of Life Without Me at TV series being made for RTE. In the last series we sent some stay at home mums on a holiday for a week - and then filmed how the rest of the family got on at home.

This time around we are looking for some stay at home dads to give a week long overseas holiday to (fully funded!).

All that's involved is one camera operator/director coming into the house while you are away at the busy times of day to see how your other half copes with doing everything at home. While you are away we'll also check in with you to see how the holiday is going and if you've had any thoughts on any changes you'd like to make when you got back.

Interested in finding out more? No obligations?

Send me an email. lifewithoutme@gmail.com

Tracey
    Assistant Producer
    Life Without Me

The US had a show similiar to this. They took two families , sent the wives off for a week and let hubbie run the show. They gave the husband a set of chores that must be done and special things that much be accomplished. They were then graded on how each one did each thing. The one that did the best got money towards their childrens college fund. It didn't do real well. Was taken off within 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 producer

This series is only for 6 episodes and won't have any of that.

The idea is to give the dad a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

OP,
    Well done. I think men maybe have a different mindset and just tackle a list of tasks in order and get things done. Women can be inclined to flit from one thing to another as they remember more things to do and consequently seem to have a never-ending stream of half-done jobs. I'm not a stay-at-home mother by the way but I know how housework goes. Have you got a favourite hobby or something new you've always wanted to try? A new skill you'd like to learn perhaps? Have you had a look at what distance-learning courses are available and if any take your fancy? Or you could just sit back, put your feet up and read the paper or a good book with a nice cup of tea.
    Or...maybe you could start up your own business or course where you advise other stay-at-home parents on good time-management skills? Hehe!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

just goes to show U that this 'working at home' lark is a nice number...sure why on earth is there so much daytime TV aimed at women?? if they are sooo busy how do they find the time to watch this rubbish? <-- ooh I'm playing devil's advocate today ;-) -->

• Advertisement
Advertisement