Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dsl loss of connection

• 28-10-2004 9:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

hi,

I renently got a
    Belkin adsl modem. I changed the settings to match the settings from the netopia eircom supplied and everything went fine for weeks. But last weekend my connection went down. The modem was unable to sync with the exchange and hence no access. I wasnt at home at the time and another person in the house called eircom and they tried to blame the hardware. Nothing could be fixed. After a while the service was restored, no action on my side. The device has worked fine since I got it and this was the only problem. Last night the connection went down again, having worked fine since the weekend connection was restored. To me this looks like its an eircom issue with service or could this be my device? I find it strange for the device to work and then not work and work again! Last night may be due to storm damage methinks but eircom blaming my hardware is buggin' me a bit.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭daymobrew

When the connection is down can you swap the netopia modem back in, so that you are dealing eith eircom-supported hardware?
    If it fails there they might have a troubleshooting strategy for that modem. If that modem fails then you can blame eircom and demand action. As long as there is an unknown (your modem) in the equation they will likely blame it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭girldef

Yeah if neither modem works try changing the filter, if it still doesn't work it has to be something with the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Hi,
    Last night's downtime was scheduled in Cork anyway. They were upgrading the BAS in Churchfield which meant everyone in Cork went down for about 15 minutes last night. Cork only has one BAS (Broadband Access Server) and that's based in Churchfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭h0stn0tf0und

I will try replacing the modem next time and see what happens. I have been doing some asking and found some modems have problems with pppoe in they way they handle the dropping and reconnecting, some dont reconnect as expected, i.e the request of a webpage. I am looking into it more. I am not in the Cork area and from peeps I've been talking to dsl was up for them but none of them are eircom customers.

any one out there have a belkin modem like the one above or any modem other than the one provided for that matter?, any other advice/tips would be great.
    <edit> The filter may also be the problem gonna try new one.
    Thanks guys

Advertisement