Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bottles in your bathroom

• 28-10-2004 10:06am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How many bottles of mysterious stuff do you have in your bathroom? What's considered a normal average? What ones could you not do without? What's the most expensive one per millilitre? This includes non-cosmetics like toilet cleaner, toothpaste, liquid detergent, bleach etc.

There's roughly 20-25 in our bathroom, two of which are exclusively mine (shaving foam and a mini sample bottle of Nivea moisturiser I got free in 2001, approx. half-full) and about six whose purpose is entirely unknown to me.
    My sister has at least 50 and I've a friend who has seriously well over 100 miscellaneous bottles of oddness, and who lives alone.

This is part curiosity and part research, so if you can give as many details as possible about brand, price, where you bought them, how long they last etc., that would be nice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Well being a bloke i dont know the majority of the stuff in my bathroom!But id say about 50 in all!of which 4 or 5 would be mine!
    Emm my 212 bottle which is like €50 100ml bottle
    Nivea shaving foam----I dont know €3-€4 a bottle
    FCUK hair wax---€6
    212 shower gel-free with the top one!

Emmm, and thats all i can think of really!.....Apart the odd shampoos and conditioners in their the rest im kinda oblivious to what they actually do or what theyre called!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Trigger! wrote:
    Emm my 212 bottle which is like €50 100ml bottle

Ya big-girl's blouse! :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Not many in mine and they're nearly all mine, or I'm the one who uses them. Offhand, from memory, there's:
    * toilet cleaning fluid
    * bleach
    * bathroom detergent
    * shower gel
    * shampoo
    * Aquafresh toothpaste
    * Dettol
    * 2 tubes of insect-sting cream
    * Trevor Sorbie styling mud
    * Wella Ultra-Strong hair gel x 2
    * Listerine mouthwash
    * Nivea facial wash
    * Nivea shaving gel
    * Post-shaving balm
    * Aftershave
    * Liquid soap thingy
    * Lip balm
    * Eye freshening cream

I think that's it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

My bathroom is not too bad but my mothers....now that's a different story.

Weird... I was mentioned this to my sister when I collected her this morn. We were chatting while she was putting on her make-up and I actually said to my sister....Does Mam ever throw anything out!

There is a bookcase thingy with approx 70 items on......Aloe Vera Aftersun, talcum powder, samples, nail varnish, soap.....

Then there's the unit under the sink, with stuff like epsom salts, toilet paper, toothpaste......

In all I'd reckon close on 120 unnecessary items....all with little or no value at all!

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Ya big-girl's blouse! :D

HUH?.......How?

Id read the next post there if i were you!hehe :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I share a house with 2 girls and in all honesty there are close to 100 bottles and containers of stuff in the bathroom most of which I wouldnt even attempt to guess whats in them.. :eek:

Belonging to me:

Bottle of Shampoo
    Bottle of Showergel
    Toothpaste
    Shaving Gel

Others that are recognisable (in press under sink!!)

Bleach
    Toilet Cleaner
    Jiff Cleaning Cream

Thats it..

Apart from those few, there are about 40 lined up beside the bath,
    more in the press, some on a shelf and the rest along the sink.. :rolleyes:

Tox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Trigger! wrote:
    HUH?.......How?

Id read the next post there if i were you!hehe :p

Huh? What? Oh...riiiiiiight! Ixoy (*me shakes head in bewilderment), I'm afraid I'm all spent of the big-girl's blouse accusations for today.

Ah and me there being the unlucky bystander!.....Hey, it could be worse, i know a bloke who has fake tan in their bathroom and bloody uses it! :eek: Has an uncanny resemblence to that evil looking fireball head from Big Bro an all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Hmmm, I'm glad that all my eau du toillette stuff isn't in my bathroom anymore, the list is long enough as it is ;)
    • Fructus Surf-Hair stuff
    • Fructus Gel-Fibre stuff
    • Tigi hair manipulator
    • Tigi bed-head hair wax
    • Clarins FM Moisture Balm
    • Clarins FM Facewash
    • Clarins FM Facescrub
    • Clarins FM Fatigue Fighter
    • Clarins FM ideal shave stuff (sample)
    • Clarins FM eye-gel stuff
    • Nivea Aftershave Balm
    • Body Shop Shave Creme
    • L'oreal Studio FX gel
    • Coloured hair gel of some random make
    • Imperial Leather foaming shower stuff
    • Savlon
    • Um, about 4 or 5 cleaning things, domestos etc
    • Toothpaste
    • Simple toner
    • J&J foaming facial wash

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That's at least €100-150 in there, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

I'm not allowed to keep my bottles of mystery in the bathroom because I've too many. This means that I have a little trolley with 3 drawers in my bedroom totally stuffed full of miscellaneous goodies.
    I'm not sure how many bottles / containers I have but there has to be approx. 100 different things.
    Deoderant Sprays, Roll on Deod, 3 different shampoos, 2 different shower gels, Shower mousse, 4 different body moisturisers, 2 bottles of the same facial moisturiser, 2 Bottles of the same cleanser, tub of cotton buds, Bag of cotton puffs, jar of cotton puffs, 3 make-up bags jammed with stuff, set of makeup brushes, pack of anadin, Nail Polish remover, Hair Gel (I dont even use this), Hair wax, Straightening Balm, 2 different hair conditioners, Labello, Dental Floss, Toothpaste, Acne Cream, Various tubes of prescription skin creams, 2 packs of Listerine breath strips, Large bottle of Listerine mouthwash, Spare toothbrush, tube of ginger travel balm, Ginger aromatherapy stick, Nail files, 3 bottles of horrible perfume, bath mitt, 2 mystery boxes of "stuff", Indigestion tablets, Bottle of Gavascon, small tin of vaseline, 2 different brands of anti-frizz hair syrum, bottle of leave-in conditioner...

That's all I can remember off the top of my head... but there is more! :eek:
    No wonder I'm banned from leaving things in the bathroom :p

All thats actually in our bathroom is a tube of colgate, a bottle of Domestos, empty bottle of listerine, Shower glass cleaner and an empty bottle of Wallace and Gromit bubble bath (its not REALLY mine, and we don't even have a bath) :confused:

Feckin hell.....how can you lot even remember all that stuff?!?!? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

That's at least €100-150 in there, right?
    Easily, and that's not counting the smelly stuff.

I generally don't buy expensive stuff unless I'm going through duty free though, and theres no way I'd buy it all at once :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

i have to check it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

In my bathroom there's some toilet cleaner and a spray cleaner, both W5 from Lidl.
    On the shelf I have a:
    bottle of mouthwash
    Davidoff Coolwater aftershave (bought 3 years ago and still 90% left)
    King of Shaves shave oil
    Toothpaste and brush.

I use Lynx shower gel but don't keep it in the bathroom, I don't use shampoo as it's all the same stuff and one bottle is easier.

There's a few other bottles of shampoo and gel in there belonging to other people, I can't remember waht any of them are but I would be capable of identifying them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Cosmetic items have a use-by date - sort of like food. It's more worrying to think about the scuzzy, filthy, bacteria-ridden crap that hangs around peoples bathrooms than the sheer volume of it.

I mean:

Blusher you've had since you were 16 (you're now 25). In the last nine years you've put that brush across your face and back into the powder HOW many times? Throw it out.

Moisturiser in a half full bottle that was manufactured about eight years ago and that you haven't used more than once annually since. Moisturisers have a shelf life, not a half life.

A toothbrush that has horizontal bristles. This is just plain gross.

Nail varnish that has coagulated and represents the onomatopaeic definition of "gloop".

A shaving foam tin, the contents of which have crystalised around the top of the cannister and scummed down the sides, sort of like a dribbly shaving foam candle.

A bath sponge/frilly washcloth/facecloth/loofah/scrubbing brush that smells faintly odd when dry.

A bar of off-yellow soap that has cracked down the middle and has weird dark coloured lines down the length of it. And unidentified hair stuck to it. That's a weird colour. That nobody admits to owning.

A ceramic toilet bowl with a coffee-coloured interior.

Bathrooms are dangerous, unexplored regions where you can learn more about someone than you ever wanted to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

at a guess about 4 bottles in my bathroom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Always in black

CLEANFREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!majd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

ok to start off with around the sink area....
    tooth paste x3 one for me one for daughter and one for travel,
    hand wash x2
    mouth wash
    face wash
    face scrub
    face toner
    face cleanser
    face moisteriser

shower area

shampoo x4
    conditioner x4
    body wash
    body scrub
    shower gel
    veet gel(bladeless shaver very nice)
    kiddys shower wash

bath area

bubble bath
    radox
    bath essance

toilet area

cif cream
    shower spray
    window cleaner
    toilet bleach

sheving area

hair dye x3
    detox srays for cuts
    " " " burns
    baby lotion
    baby bum cream
    baby oil
    body moisteriser
    hand and nail cream
    first aid box with strange things

i'd probable do with less stuff but its when i dont have it i need it you know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

Cosmetic items have a use-by date - sort of like food. It's more worrying to think about the scuzzy, filthy, bacteria-ridden crap that hangs around peoples bathrooms than the sheer volume of it.

I mean:

Blusher you've had since you were 16 (you're now 25). In the last nine years you've put that brush across your face and back into the powder HOW many times? Throw it out.

Moisturiser in a half full bottle that was manufactured about eight years ago and that you haven't used more than once annually since. Moisturisers have a shelf life, not a half life.

A toothbrush that has horizontal bristles. This is just plain gross.

Nail varnish that has coagulated and represents the onomatopaeic definition of "gloop".

A shaving foam tin, the contents of which have crystalised around the top of the cannister and scummed down the sides, sort of like a dribbly shaving foam candle.

A bath sponge/frilly washcloth/facecloth/loofah/scrubbing brush that smells faintly odd when dry.

A bar of off-yellow soap that has cracked down the middle and has weird dark coloured lines down the length of it. And unidentified hair stuck to it. That's a weird colour. That nobody admits to owning.

A ceramic toilet bowl with a coffee-coloured interior.

Bathrooms are dangerous, unexplored regions where you can learn more about someone than you ever wanted to know.

ekuk ew ew ew

i change my make-up kit at the most every 5 months

toothbrush every 3 months

face clothes get washed daily one use only ever (y bother wash if you use a dirty one)

no bars of soap they are not safe to have in a house hold plus bad for your skin

toilet gets bleached ever two nights

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

i have fake tan hand-prints all over my walls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Hmmm... the list goes as follows (although I'm not sure what the point is...)...

Glade 'Woodland Grove' Air Freshener
    'Nice-n-Fresh' Orange concentrated bathroom freshener
    Jeyes Parozone Thick Bleach
    Wizz Bathroom Cleaner
    Xanto 'Citrus Zest' Bathroom Mousse
    Frish Duo-Action Gel with bleach
    Lynx Body Spray: 'Pulse' and 'Phoenix'
    Lynx 24-7 Body Spray: 'Pulse' and 'Voodoo'
    Lynx Shaving Foam: 'Energy' and 'Smooth'
    Colet Coconut Creme Soap
    Dettol Antibacterial Handwash
    Pearl Drops Smokers Strongmint Toothpaste
    Tesco Total Care Freshmint Toothpaste
    Listerine Freshburst Mouthwash
    Pearl Drops Toothpolish
    Palmolive Thermal Spa Hydrating Shower Gel
    Radox Shower Gel for Men
    Loreal for Men Elvive Thickening Shampoo
    Loreal Replenishing Conditioner
    Head and Shoulders Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
    Gillette 'Cool Spray' Silver Anti-Perspirant
    'Be Strong' Ultra-Firm Hair Gel
    Renu MultiPlus No Rub Contact Lens Solution
    Hugo Boss Eau de Toilette
    Paco Rabanne Ultraviolet Man Aftershave
    Johnson's Baby Oil

I guess the most expensive one is the aftershave - and I'm sure there's not just one but quite a few there I'd rather not do without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Miss Mann

The only bottle in my bathroom is filled with good ol' Tequila.

xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Only things in my bathroom are
    • toothpaste
    • shampoo
    • An empty bottle of shower gel i still get some stuff outta
    • Clearasil
    • PanOxyl Acnegel which cost about a fiver from back when i was covered in spots
    • Lots of plain oul nivea for men deodorant
    • shaving foam
    • contact lens solution (expensive!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

SteveD wrote:
    contact lens solution (expensive!)
    Not so much from these guys in the UK. I bring in my solutions at about half the Irish pharmacy prices, even allowing for the Sterling difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

This concept interests me greatly!

Expect some rep to be winging its way towards you just as soon as im allowed spread it again

Advertisement