Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlon FX-53 For €455

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Prepare for a resurection then as the Dual Core cpu's will use socket 940. However single socket 940 motherboards are gone the way of the caveman for desktop use. Optrons still use them though

Yea but Socket939 is also set for dual core. I really should have said Socket940 is dead in the desktop market, definetly dual dual cored opterons would be amazing......
    Well i have no problemo with my Socket 940 Its S**t quick mate. well it would be at 2.75, heheheh

Yea id well believe it but from an upgrading point of view when your going to that level price wise i would personally think S939 . Especially when 940 needs registered memory .

I was actually thinking of getting the FX-55 socket 939, as i will soon have to get something better then my own rig,

The dilema - socket 775 or socket 939 :confused: As an amd man i would prob b looking at the fx-55, and the cpu kits for vapochill and mach II's are already available for socket 939's :D

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Hmm I don't think I be able to compete with an FX 55 rig on vaporchill/mach II.

Think I will have to get two SLI comps instead. Need to find 4 Geforce 6800GT's now :)

OH , its a competition, LOL:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

just to poke my nose in here

Azza what overclock are you getting on that winchester?

and i noticed u have 64bit windows on your main rig now is there actually quite a few drivers for them now or are you struggling, is it worth trying?

oh and is that your asus card you got the artic cooler on..are u getting a better overclock?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

The rigs are not fully assembled yet give me time. Need to update motherboard to support the chip. Incidently the motherboards I have are the motherboards extremeoverclockers forums told me to avoid. MSI K8N Neo Platinum and any Abit motherboard. But for now good overclocking on socket 754 is for people with the DFI board. Which I still hope to get soon.

Basically for Windows XP 64 bit I'm excepting small increase in memory performance while a small drop is expected on graphics performance. Going use this ATI Beta 64bit Catalyst. I have no drivers for my modem though. Also I have an older build of windows xp 64 bit which will be missing Directx 9C which is included on the newer versions. No way to invidually put it on to windows xp 64 on its own. Situation can only improve.

I have seen the Winchesters 3500 going to 3 Gigs on water cooling now. Also saw a newcastle 3200 2.0ghz stock at 2.81 on air cooling (old 130nm) was surprised to see that.

Had to change graphics cards as asus fan connector was way to small for the artic cooler connecter. Even hacked it up with a knife to no avail. Swapped it for my friends ATI built 9800XT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

hmm

the fan connector is a worry..i was tempted to get an ATi silencer for it..i dont know if it will be worth wrecking the warranty for..got over 2 years left :rolleyes:

as for windows 64 bit...hmm i really dont know wot to do i know people say theres hardly any drivers ..so does that mean all my bits and pieces with drivers on like mouse/keyboard wont even work? :confused:

im tempted to give it a go i mean if ive got a 64 bit cpu i might as well see what it can actually do in 64 bit

these winchesters sound impressive but i think i can get 2.7 out of this chip....maybe more so im just gonna wait till next year go pci-e ..sli 2 6800gts..i hope and maybe see about a dual core cpu...not sure which quarter they are out in tho?

and damn! 2.81ghz on stock...god dammit ill swap ! :rolleyes:

Azza wrote:
    The rigs are not fully assembled yet give me time. Need to update motherboard to support the chip. Incidently the motherboards I have are the motherboards extremeoverclockers forums told me to avoid. MSI K8N Neo Platinum and any Abit motherboard. But for now good overclocking on socket 754 is for people with the DFI board. Which I still hope to get soon.

Basically for Windows XP 64 bit I'm excepting small increase in memory performance while a small drop is expected on graphics performance. Going use this ATI Beta 64bit Catalyst. I have no drivers for my modem though. Also I have an older build of windows xp 64 bit which will be missing Directx 9C which is included on the newer versions. No way to invidually put it on to windows xp 64 on its own. Situation can only improve.

I have seen the Winchesters 3500 going to 3 Gigs on water cooling now. Also saw a newcastle 3200 2.0ghz stock at 2.81 on air cooling (old 130nm) was surprised to see that.

Had to change graphics cards as asus fan connector was way to small for the artic cooler connecter. Even hacked it up with a knife to no avail. Swapped it for my friends ATI built 9800XT.
    I used windows xp 64 bit , the ati drivers can be dodgy and there wasnt any sound drivers available at the time (a month ago), and no real memory preformance, most programs will not run on it, so o real way of testing or benchmarking

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

gline wrote:
    wow, thats crap, ive just ordered stuff, damn i hope i dnt get majorly stung

You will without doubt get a tax bill in the post, a few weeks after delivery.

• Advertisement

In my experience it doesnt always work that way though, i have ordered in loads of stuff in the past and some of it gets through without me being charged

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

if its less than ~€50 i dont think they worry about it. but you can be sure that if the tax man can make money then he will.

true, but i got my audigy 2 zs platinum in taxfree, the shipper wrote - soundcard , value $15 - heheeheheh

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

That guy is correct Customs(or Govt to be precise) are starting to get snoopy about goods coming in from outside the EU, even to the point where the fashion guru's flying to New York on weekend shopping trips are being checked by customs on return. However with comp componants there is no import duties but there is VAT. The Govt now require DHL, FedEX and the like to collect the Vat(21%) on their behalf. In other words you won't get the goods until you pay the Vat due. I've been told recently that you are allowed to import up to €175 worth Vat free. So if 200€ is on the docket well the VAt on that won't break the bank. The whole thing stinks, it was probably IBEC or the like lobbying to try and make us shop in overpriced Ireland. Up to 12 months ago it was'nt much of an issue now it will kill Internet shopping.

That guy is correct Customs(or Govt to be precise) are starting to get snoopy about goods coming in from outside the EU, even to the point where the fashion guru's flying to New York on weekend shopping trips are being checked by customs on return. However with comp componants there is no import duties but there is VAT. The Govt now require DHL, FedEX and the like to collect the Vat(21%) on their behalf. In other words you won't get the goods until you pay the Vat due. I've been told recently that you are allowed to import up to €175 worth Vat free. So if 200€ is on the docket well the VAt on that won't break the bank. The whole thing stinks, it was probably IBEC or the like lobbying to try and make us shop in overpriced Ireland. Up to 12 months ago it was'nt much of an issue now it will kill Internet shopping.
    Yeh I thought if it was under 200 u dont get charged any tax etc, i have shipped a lot of things under 200 and i was not charged. The offical laws state that if it is under $200 there is no charge.

Advertisement