Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Basel or Basel? What is it??

• 28-10-2004 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭

Quick question, been bugging me and no dount countless others (hopefully anyway, otherwise I'm just sad!)

Do you pronounce it as:

"Baal" or....... wait for it : " Basil" ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Baal!

But to annoy the swiss we call it Basil! :D hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

In French its Baal. In German its Basil.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Depends on which side of the border you are from !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Usually George Ham is good at getting the names right, so I go by his pronunciation, althought the english are convinced its Basil. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Its both as said above, Switzerland has both a French and a German speaking population, to the French is Baal, to the Germans its Basil, the country itself has different names and pronunciations depending on the person you talk to. Schweiz, Swisse are two I can think of off hand

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I have friends living there and they call it BASIL

I will b over there in a few weeks so I will listen out for you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was brought up to say Baal, but I guess the team can be called Basel and not Baal regardless of culture/language.

Mike.

Advertisement