Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Net Visionary Award - Noel O'Flynn nominated

Options
  • 28-10-2004 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

Noel O'Flynn has been nominated for the IIA Net Visionary Award: http://www.netvisionary.ie/votenom.html

IrelandOffline has decided to endorse Noel O'Flynn for his work as Chairman of the Joint Oireachtas Report on Broadband.

This report is the way forward for Ireland. It contains 12 key recommendations that if/when acted upon will see Ireland properly enter the Broadband age. This is not a vote for Noel and his personality but for Noel and his Committee and for the great work they did in creating this report.

The more press and public support the Committee and the Report get, the greater chance Minister Dempsey will have to comment and act on the recommendations. This is what is needed. This report needs to be on the agenda and this is one way of getting it there.

Voting for Noel and his Committee will mean voting for these recommendations:

01 Defines broadband as a service that provides at least 512kb connectivity and sets as a target 5Mps connectivity by 2006 with widely available 10Mps connectivity in 2008 being the further target .
    02 Develop a National Broadband Infrastructure Plan in 2004 .
    03 Appoint a single Minister of State with cross department responsibility for the rollout of a national broadband infrastructure and the development of e-Government services .
    04 Encourage closer co-operation between the Government, the telecoms industry and the end-users of broadband services .
    05 Mandate that all national, regional, county and city development plans incorporate the provision of broadband infrastructure with such plans .
    06 Ensure that all new developments are ‘future-proofed' for broadband.
    07 Focus on “bridging of the first mile” as the first key policy issue.
    08 Establish the proposed Management Service Enterprise (MSE) to ensure all existing broadband assets are put to full use.
    09 Introduce measures to widen the ‘reach' of broadband technologies .
    10 Improve skills to allow greater broadband access .
    11 Encourage business to increase their usage of broadband technologies .
    12 Fully examine the potential of Government to use broadband.

Let me clarify that IrelandOffline is *not* backing a TD or his political party but a Chairmain of a cross-party committee that came up with a plan of action that will give us our broadband future.

We encourage you to vote for Noel for the reasons given above, however if you don't wish to, then possibly consider Tom Murphy who runs Boards.ie with the other admins and who have been kind enough to give us this forum.

When asked for Company don't put in Boards.ie or IrelandOffline as this will restrict the amount of people who can vote.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Excellent suggestion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

On a related matter in the technology journalist category

Do not forget the good work that has been done by John Kennedy in Silicon Republic when nominating a journalist. John McCormack should not be overlooked :) , as we know :) . Make sure that Jamie Smyth does not get it whatever ye do. If is to be Silicon Republics year...a fair decision I should think based on their record in the past year ......then we should plump for one of the 2 nominees and I am minding towards John so as not to split the vote .

I would think that ENN have a bit to go yet but there are signs of improvement unlike in the Irish Times :( !

These opinions are mine of course and have nothing to do with IoffL so if IoffL has a different position the mods should sticky the thread and delete this post !!!!! :)

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Just voted for Noel O'Flynn and one of the siliconrepublic journalists. The work of the Oireachtas Communications Committee is valuable and if this helps to strengthen their position in the future even by a tiny bit, it's worth to spend the minute on the voting.
    Voting closes on the 5th of November btw.
    Hadn't a clue what the people in most of the other categories are like.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Votes cast for Noel O'Flynn and John Kennedy and two others whom I know professionally.

The Joint Oireachtas Committee's Report is a powerful document, rational, cogent and comprehensive. It recommendations are clear and consise, and its implementation would solve most of the problems we face. It has cross party support and is definitly the way to go. Voting for the committee chairman will definitly help give the report visibility and may aid its implementation. The committee and O'Flynn in particular need to be publically acknowledged for this visionary document.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Does anyone have a pointer to the Joint Oireachtas Committees report?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Ripwave wrote:
    Does anyone have a pointer to the Joint Oireachtas Committees report?
    http://broadband.oireachtas.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭jmcc

Muck wrote:
    On a related matter in the technology journalist category

Do not forget the good work that has been done by John Kennedy in Silicon Republic when nominating a journalist. John McCormack should not be overlooked :) , as we know :) .
    Since it was a PR company sponsoring the event and given all the stuff I've written about "technology journalists", I asked IIA to remove my name. :) It just does not seem proper for a PR company to sponsor a journalism award. Maybe it is just unlike the past winners, I think that journalism should be more than just recycling press releases.
    Make sure that Jamie Smyth does not get it whatever ye do. If is to be Silicon Republics year...a fair decision I should think based on their record in the past year ......then we should plump for one of the 2 nominees and I am minding towards John so as not to split the vote .
    Well since I am not in it, the Silicon Rep guys have come a long way and do produce a lot of content and have covered the comms business in greater depth than it has been covered by other online services.
    I would think that ENN have a bit to go yet but there are signs of improvement unlike in the Irish Times :( !
    ENN is still primarily just a press release recycler. It doesn't have the expertise, knowledge or market to be anything else.To nick a quote, what is good is not original and what is original is not good.

Cluefulness in politicians is a rare commodity and it should be encouraged.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

jmcc wrote:
    It just does not seem proper for a PR company to sponsor a journalism award. Maybe it is just unlike the past winners, I think that journalism should be more than just recycling press releases.
    Good God, that should be the winners speech ....surely
    Well since I am not in it, the Silicon Rep guys have come a long way and do produce a lot of content and have covered the comms business in greater depth than it has been covered by other online services.
    I see Synergies, were they to commission you to do a piece then they would have 3 outta 5 nominees on the payroll. :)

M

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

BUMP

Closes on Friday so get your votes in now

John

Advertisement