Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb and bittorrent

• 28-10-2004 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

I have recently had the 1 meg Bizwave service installed from Digiweb using a d-link router (di-604) and after a while I've decided to try to get my bittorrent sorted. Basically the speeds I am getting off it are very poor.

When I am downloading normally I get speeds of approx 50 KB/s (which in itself is poor) but when I'm downloading torrents it is extreemly slow.

I am using the Azureus client, and I am getting green lights on the downloads. As an example my current download info is:

seeds: 7(18)
    peers: 75(158)
    down speed: 8 - 15kB/s (varies a fair bit-even over the typing of this post)
    up speed: 5.7 kB/s

I also have another file which is uploading through Azureus between 5 and 10 kB/s.

As you can tell I'm extreemly unhappy with this. There isn't really any other hog on my bandwith. Just the usual like: irc, opera, icq, yahoo, msn, etc

In the configuration tab, I set my upload limit to 18KB/s with an unlimited download speed.

I have also tried to go into the router to open up the ports. I'm guessing that that was successful as I have the green light for the download. Anyway, I went into http://192.168.0.1 and from there to the advanced tab and setup a virtual server which(hopefully should have) routed the ports TCP 6881 to my computer(using my ip)

Basically I'm all out of ideas.

I've searched for old threads but haven't come up with anything useful and I'd prefer not to drag up old threads. I hope this is the correct place for posting this also.

Thanks for your help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

From digiwebs FAQ :
    Digiweb do reserve the right to treat certain types of traffic with
    lower priority on the network to ensure the majority of users enjoy the best
    available speeds as far as possible. Such lower priority traffic may include
    file-sharing applications such as Kazaa, Morpheus, and similar for
    example.

I was thinking of getting Digiweb and this angered me.
    Although I can see it from thier point of view. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭job

I'd forget about Bittorrents until u get that download speed sorted !

I take it ur on Bizjet Enhanced, if it's 1MB connection.

I have Bizjet 512/128 & get a download speed of 50-54KB/s always, so u should be hittin' 102-108KB/s.

The part about them throttling certain applications i haven't noticed & i have used Shazerra & Bittorrents.

Remember, its says " Digiweb do reserve the right ", it does say they do do it by default, just that if they think it's necessary for the overall good of all users, then they reserve the right to throttle certain apps.

Is there any part in ur router that says the connection stats ?? Does it say ur connection is 1024/256 ??

If it does, i'd drop Digiweb a mail about the problem, their tech support staff are excellent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Bittorrent probably won't work properly because of NAT on the dsl router.

Try going to 192.168.1.1 and in NAT settings edit your SUA only settings. Open the ports that Bittorrent is using (i think it uses 6881-6889) for your computers IP. (You might want to set a static IP for your PC - one which is in the routers IP range - 192.168.1.45 should do.)

After that the router shouldn't have any problems forwarding traffic on those ports to your IP and I'm guessing Bittorrent will work.

Oh and by the way, I get a good 110k/s max download on bizwave 1MB. Do a modem test here.

You should get around 100000 or more if you are on 1MB. If you are getting 100000 then you are just downloading from limited bandwidth sites. Some sites limit uploading to around 30kbps.

If you are getting around 50000 then you are on 512k!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

By the way, what is the make and model of your router? After re-reading your post I think that setting up a virtual server may work but I don't have that option on my router so I can't check..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

job wrote:
    I'd forget about Bittorrents until u get that download speed sorted !

I take it ur on Bizjet Enhanced, if it's 1MB connection.

Yeah, I'm on the 1 meg line and it should be at 256 up as that's what it says on their site.
    I have Bizjet 512/128 & get a download speed of 50-54KB/s always, so u should be hittin' 102-108KB/s.

The part about them throttling certain applications i haven't noticed & i have used Shazerra & Bittorrents.

Remember, its says " Digiweb do reserve the right ", it does say they do do it by default, just that if they think it's necessary for the overall good of all users, then they reserve the right to throttle certain apps.

Is there any part in ur router that says the connection stats ?? Does it say ur connection is 1024/256 ??

I have no idea where my router would say the contention ratio-I don't even know if that is possible tbh
    If it does, i'd drop Digiweb a mail about the problem, their tech support staff are excellent :)

looks like I'll be doin that soon enough :/

• Advertisement

By the way, what is the make and model of your router? After re-reading your post I think that setting up a virtual server may work but I don't have that option on my router so I can't check..

the router is a d-link di-604

I did the speed test from http://www.irishisptest.com and have done it fairly frequently. The most I've gotten from it was about 650. Nowhere near the full meg.

This could have something to do with the distance I am from the mast. I'm fairly close to the limits at about 10 or 11 miles(I think) Plus they told me that at the moment people closer to the mast are hogging my bandwith-so much so that we were lucky to get it installed at all because a secondary school were hogging all(and I mean all) the bandwith during the site test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Well, you could always try using non-default ports. I.e. choose somethng random, and set that in your bittorrent clients settings, then forward that same port again through your router. Thats always a good idea.

An example port would be 39183, or 1976, or 60209. they're pretty random.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Bittorrent is a bit hit and miss. It is only as good as the network. And depends on what you're downloading. How many seeds you have etc.

First thing to do is check out your max capable speed and go from there. http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp is a good place to start.

If you're in the upper 700-800k bracket. I'd be happy with that. Currently I'm getting 812kbit dl and 205kbit ul on digiweb 1mb business.

If that looks good, then I suggest turning your uploads right down to the minimum 5k for most bt clients. The load balancing isn't great so if you're maxing out the upload, your not getting the full download, ie. the upload packets are interfering with the download packets. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Try setting your bittorrent client to use non-standard ports, eg. use 46881 - 46890. Bittorrent wont mind. Often ISPs will block or throttle traffic on certain ports and this will get around that. Remember to set the router to forward those ports to you!

Thanks for the replies lads.

I did the speed test from CivilServant's link and got the following results
    Direction Actual Speed True Speed (estimated)
    Downstream 420 Kbps (52.5 KB/sec) 453 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 581 Kbps (72.6 KB/sec) 627 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Downstream 550 Kbps (68.8 KB/sec) 594 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 522 Kbps (65.3 KB/sec) 563 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Downstream 535 Kbps (66.9 KB/sec) 577 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 495 Kbps (61.9 KB/sec) 534 Kbps (inc. overheads)

So I'm going to give digiweb a call on Monday to try and get the speed sorted. But even at that I should be getting better speeds on Bittorrent.

I have lowered the upload speed to 5kB/s and haven't noticed any real change.

I'm wondering if I have setup the router properly for assigning the ports. Here's the way I setup the virtual server: (the port numbers are the same as what I've set in the Azureus client)
    router.jpg

does that look ok?

then again, it could be the files I'm downloading-not enough seeds or whatever. Could someone pm me a torrent link that you have gotten good speeds on recently. I'm not looking for anything illegal or anything-just a torrent that I know will be quick that I can use as a comparisson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

im with a differant wireless bb provider also and i have that exact router you have, i still havent managed to get the damn thing working with bittorent... so i hope somebody can lend a hand here !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Try this page

It tells you how to expose ports and set up DMZ through that router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved over to Windows.

Sorry for dragging this up again but I'm tearing my hair out at this stage.

I've been downloading a file now for 5 days and 7 hours ffs!!

Most of the files in the queue's eta is in days, not hours. They aren't huge files mainly 300-700 megs.

I've followed d-link's faq page - No change
    I changed the ports incase my isp was throttling - No change
    I've throttled down to 5kB upload - No change
    I've selected downloads with high seeds and peers - No change

I've checked here to make sure that my nat is correctly configured and it passes

So I'm lost.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Advertisement