Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with J2ME

Options
  • 28-10-2004 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    For my final year project I need to control a robot using a mobile phone. I’m using a Nokia phone with MIDP 1.0. I need to download a client development environment onto my computer; this will include an emulator for the Nokia phone. Would the Nokia developer’s suite with Borland Jbuilder 9 be a good option? I have Jbuilder 9 on my computer, would I need Jbuilder 9 mobile set though?
    I will have the server running on another computer on the network. Will Jbuilder 9 be sufficient for my server?
    Can anyone please comment on this suggestion or suggest another development environment, which I can use to do this.
    Also, can anyone recommend any good books on learning J2ME Midlet programming and making HTTP connections to servers?
    Thanks a lot!
    Glenman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I've been playing with Eclipse and the J2ME plugin.

http://eclipseme.sourceforge.net/

Works quite well with the nokia toolkit. You can set up your own http server and have the mobile emulator point to your server. Although I haven't tried that yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Use both Nokia's emulator with the Sun One Mobile Edition IDE. Don't know what the availibility is on both at present though as it's been a few months since I touched any J2ME work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Thanks everyone for all the tips!
    Glenman

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pbarry

Register with www.ibm.com as a user and then check out their J2ME tutorials. They start from scratch.

Check out this after you register:

https://www6.software.ibm.com/developerworks/education/j-j2me1/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

i'd be wary if i was you using midp 1.0 you'll find most toolkits etc are developed with midp 2.0 in mind, if it's 1.0 your going with tho you can use the sun 1.4 wireless toolkit, i used it for a while before but soon got fed up with it and stated coding for midp 2.0 compliant devices using the 2.0 WTK.

Interesting project though.

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Downside to starting on MIDP2.0 is that a lot of devices don't support it yet. Those that do aren't that cheap. :/

Nokia has device libraries that make MIDP1.0 act like version 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Hobbes wrote:
    Downside to starting on MIDP2.0 is that a lot of devices don't support it yet. Those that do aren't that cheap. :/

Nokia has device libraries that make MIDP1.0 act like version 2.

True, i didn't know about those libraries nokia had, must take a look. But a lot of phones now are coming with MIDP2.0 as standard and the ones that are out are coming down in price, but i know where your coming from i hit this problem last year!

The cheapest phone i found that was 2.0 compliant was the Sagem myV65.

Farlz

Advertisement