Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Programmable Logic Controller

• 28-10-2004 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Anyone give me any background on being a PLC>

How did you get into it and what types of jobs are there?

Any info would be great

Is it well paid

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

isn't that a bit of hardware that runs assembly language programs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

MrNuked wrote:
    isn't that a bit of hardware that runs assembly language programs?
    Yes :D He just asked how to become a piece of silicon.
    iPLC.main.jpg
    Enjoy your new life, decbuck
    :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Courses like the ones offered by the Department of Applied Physics and Instrumentation in the CIT incorporate PLCs into the course. Jobs would be available in any manufacturing/process plant.

Do you already work with PLCs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

decbuck wrote:
    Anyone give me any background on being a PLC>

How did you get into it and what types of jobs are there?
    Look in any of the IT's (Institute of Technology's, that is) - courses in electronics or more specifically mechatronics.

Jobs are in factory automation, not sure what the money is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I'm in Austria, so this mightn't entirely be the same as in Ireland but:

Most of the guys in my comany have done Mechatronics degrees and then they get sent by our company to the various manufacturers of the PLC's for courses on how they are pregrammed etc. Having the degree or some form of course in this I would think would be the first step. Then finding a job with a company that uses or produces these.

The types of jobs range from programming the PLC's to research and evaluation of new products from various companies as well as maybe even working for the companies that produce the units.

As for the money side of things I really can't comment on how it is in Ireland.

Hope some of that helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement