Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

doom movie! :(

• 28-10-2004 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20041022_132909.html

yep! Doom movie went into production! will be released 2005 august

and guess what? it will suck like resident evil!

what's up latelly, everyone is making movies about superheroes and games? ran out of good ideas?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

as all the remakes testify.. yes, yes they have

although it could be argued that they ran out of good ideas a long.. long time ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

IMDB link

Ha! The Rock is gonna be in it.
    Actually, Karl Urban really looks like the dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Unless its 18's, it'll be sh|t. Hope they've learned from AvP.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Ah, there's still quite a few originals out recently.
    I say this because i saw Eternal Sunshine for the first time last night and liked it. Thought it was very original.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Will it have multiplayer though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Also, does anyone know of a movie, made in the 80's that looks like Doom1? It was about some dude in hell, and in the clip you see him carrying a shotgun and a chainsaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

a shotgun and chainsaw sounds like evil dead to me, although its nothing like doom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ehh.. evil dead perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

the_syco wrote:
    Also, does anyone know of a movie, made in the 80's that looks like Doom1? It was about some dude in hell, and in the clip you see him carrying a shotgun and a chainsaw.

evil dead i'd imagine.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I kinda enjoyed RE and RE2 in a "stupid movie" way (altho' I loathe AvP). Thing is 'Doom' never had much of a plot so it'll probably be just more a jump'n'scare movie ('Half Life' is a better FPS for plot) and that mightn't translate well on screen. Still Karl Urban is decent and I always enjoyed him in his multiple roles in 'Xena: Warrior Princess' so I'm not too disheartened yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Karl Urban definetly looks to suit the lead role, and this could indeed be quite good. However, while I think The Rock shouldn't be let anywhere near film roles, at the very least he isn't in the lead. Which is something to be thankfull for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ITS TAKEN THEM OVER 10 years since this the movie was offically anounced in some pc mag in fact it might have been 12 years ive been waiting for this movie for over half my life and it better be good or someone willl die

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'll gladly chip in for your assasination trip to Hollywood, User45701.

Y'know, it's for a good cause and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Maximilian wrote:
    Will it have multiplayer though?

lol!

User45701 wrote:
    ITS TAKEN THEM OVER 10 years since this the movie was offically anounced in some pc mag in fact it might have been 12 years ive been waiting for this movie for over half my life and it better be good or someone willl die

hang on to something Dorothy, this mofie is going to suck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

However, while I think The Rock shouldn't be let anywhere near film roles, at the very least he isn't in the lead. Which is something to be thankfull for.
    I thought he done an OK job in The Mummy Returns, as the scorpian king, albiet the CGI on him was pants in the showdown, he still played his role as a mighty conqueror fellow quite well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

It was originally an irish director , Enda McCallion, that was supposed to direct this but he's now being dropped for someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Uwe Boll!
    Uwe Boll!
    best. director. ever.
    *grin*

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Just heard its sp only. Apparantly you need an monster expensive rig to run it, with a big monitor and even then expect only about 60 fps - but the graphics are going to be photorealistic!!! This game could be awesome!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've just had a premonition!

It will be crap!

As for the frame rate sources report that due to the dated projection hardware 24fps is more likely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

The Rock is great, and at least there's a star unlike AVP and the RE franchise, which had a group of nobodies, which should mean it's being taken seriously by the studio.

Cactus Col wrote:
    The Rock is great, and at least there's a star unlike AVP and the RE franchise, which had a group of nobodies, which should mean it's being taken seriously by the studio.
    They can take it as seriously as they want - Both tomb raiders had Angelina Jolie on them and they still sucked bigtime. Ditto Street fighter (Van damme while he still was a bigname) and Mario Brothers (uhhh... bob hoskins? :))

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They don't even have to put much effort into making this film good. A hammy script, a decent action director, tons of gore and dreadful one-liners that would make commando blush.

Unfortunately it will be PG-13 and a Paul W.S. Anderson clone will direct it.

Hmm, Rosamund Pike looks to be in it if imdb is anything to go by. Looks like it has at least one thing going for it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Darko here using Monument's account. I did a story on the Doom movie.
    Heres a link. Doom the Movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No game has ever been turned into a decent movie, that I know of anyway. And as for The Rock, anyone seen Walking Tall, or The Scorpian King for that matter, uuugh?

Why can't they just leave games as games :mad:

jor el wrote:
    No game has ever been turned into a decent movie, that I know of anyway. And as for The Rock, anyone seen Walking Tall, or The Scorpian King for that matter, uuugh?

Why can't they just leave games as games :mad:

greedyness Jor, greedyness!

and then hollywood goes to blame internet and p2p because their dvds don't sell!

there is no way in hell I will pay for doom or resident evil or anything movie more than 8 euros!

How many floppies will this come on?

I heard there's going to be a rolling demo before the it comes out. Any word if they're going to release a playable demo? 24 fps sucks, is that with anti-aliasing on, shadows etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Well at least they will have no worries about people comparing how good it is to the latest game, which completly sucked balls btw.

• Advertisement

Hmmm my moviesenses tell me that the movie will follow the AvP pattern of movie-making...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I was speaking with Enda McCallion (the original, Irish, director) a few months ago and he seemed chuffed with the fact they were letting him away with lots of gore and an R rating. As far as I know the studio changed their mind and decided an PG-13 was a better idea. Fair play to Enda I suppose for sticking to his guns and taking a walk.

As for the movie... it will indeed suck donkeys.

That was a great game as well

Goodshape wrote:
    I was speaking with Enda McCallion (the original, Irish, director) a few months ago and he seemed chuffed with the fact they were letting him away with lots of gore and an R rating. As far as I know the studio changed their mind and decided an PG-13 was a better idea. Fair play to Enda I suppose for sticking to his guns and taking a walk.

As for the movie... it will indeed suck donkeys.
    lol omg that's classic; Im pretty sure the success of AvP with 12 year old boys persuaded the execs teh money's in "new metal" horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Why the funk do people always slag movies off and say they're gonna be crap when they haven't even seen a sliver of film reel?!?! For all we know it could be a sweet ass movie!

It's called precedent & and business-orientated studio system of hollywood; if it's a studio picture, which is more than likely, then it will be the studio that dictates the content and aims of the movie, so the likelyhood is that the movie will be aimed at the stereotypical demographic of gamers/film-goers - pubescent males; and will be made from that perspective. And the precedent comes into play because the exact same formula was applied with AvP, Tomb Raider, and so on.

We've already seen the original director leave because his movie, a gorefest, was stepped on by the studio who want a more marketable teenfest that will get a cosier rating. So you will then find a studio crony scriptwriter coming in to match - hell, I wouldn't be surprised if indeed Uwe Boll or Paul Anderson helms it, or if Anderson at least writes the reviewed script.

Besides, doom's pointless to make a movie about because it never had a plot that's worth 2 hours of screen time. There's a wealth of plots, and decent ones if some independents raided the RPG, strategy, and alternative-FPS (like Thief, Hitman etc) genres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, i will wait until it comes out, watch it and then make an opinion on what it was like.

of course, since a lot of you seem to be precogniscient, i may just give up watching movies now...

I adopted that attitude of "wait and see, you never know til you've seen it" for AvP, even while I knew Anderson helmed the flick. you can't make a pg13 movie scary or gory; and doom is supposed to be scary and gory. :)

Advertisement