Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance tactics?

Options
  • 28-10-2004 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

Rang QD, got a quote. Mum then rang broker who did the checks and said no one else will quote, QD refused to quote twice (or so she presumed).

At 23 on my 2nd provisional, only having had two one month spells with hibernian and now asking for my own insurance on a 1.4 polo I wasn't expecting much else. But a friend tells me I shouldn't be paying more than 2.5k, (the quote was 3.3k) - she says AA will quote and then I can play them off each other and get a decent price. Is this true for fully licenced drivers only?

IS QD my only option. Any wheeling or dealing worth doing?

why such a big car (relatively) cos I'm being handed it by generous parents

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

AA told me they only quote over 25s !!!
    I have full license and 5 years driving but only 2 yrs no claims on my own name. They wouldnt even talk to me. Also FBD over 30s only... I Thought that they could not discriminate like this??
    Oh i am 24 BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

The AA only quote for 27 and over. Or so I thought.

22 on a provisional, own insurance on a 1.4?
    You'd be lucky to get insured at all I think Uberwolf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Sleipnir wrote:

23 ;)

not far off what I thought TBH. But I live in hope and have one quote sitting there...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Here I was thinking insurance costs were on the way down. My policy is up for renewal next month. I rang alliance today for a quote, driving nearly 4 yrs on company van, no incidents, 2 yrs NCB on my own policy with no incidents... I get a quote of 3300 for fully comp and 2600 for TPF&T on a 1.4 Focus, not the fastest thing around. Im 23 living in Dublin. Its f*cking disgraceful. I've about 70000 miles without claiming from insurance but they still think it’s perfectly acceptable to rip me off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

On my 1st provisional at 21.
    Got a quote from Quinn direct today on a 98 1 litre Seat Ibiza.
    €2798

I was told insurance was coming down by a fella at the dealers. Told me some lad in a similar position got insured recently for 1700 on a 1.4 Astra from Quinn Direct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Sleipnir wrote:

I've nearly completed my first year driving, been insured with QD for the year - rang AA and they said they couldnt insure me, Im 24, they said they couldnt insure me until I was 27 - is this not ageism!!??

XCRichard wrote:
    On my 1st provisional at 21.
    Got a quote from Quinn direct today on a 98 1 litre Seat Ibiza.
    €2798

I was told insurance was coming down by a fella at the dealers. Told me some lad in a similar position got insured recently for 1700 on a 1.4 Astra from Quinn Direct.

Thats a very reasonable quote - Im 24 and paid €3216 last year with QD for third party fire and theft - I too was on my first provisional.

Insurance prices seem to be coming down alright - my quote fom QD for next year is €1600 fully comp - drop of €1800!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭x.x.x

very strange - i'm 22 now but got my current policy (fully comp on a 1.4) at 21 with only 10/11 months driving experence of any kind, with hibernian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭x.x.x

sorry, the policy cost 1850 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

I'll be shopping around yet so my quote will fall. Was talking to an insurance broker tonight who's married to a friend of mines sister. He promised to beat whatever quote I got so that's a start anyway :)

• Advertisement

XCRichard wrote:
    I'll be shopping around yet so my quote will fall. Was talking to an insurance broker tonight who's married to a friend of mines sister. He promised to beat whatever quote I got so that's a start anyway :)

Nice one! Is he just doing that for you or will he do it for anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Heh, just tried QD and Hibernian's online quotes there for a 1 litre 2002 corsa. (I'm 22 with a first provisional and 2 years named driver experience - still waiting on that damn test). Hibernian refused to quote me because of the provisional (bear in mind I am currently covered by them as a named driver), QD quoted me about €1700 - less than I was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

Insurance has come down a lot.
    I am 24 and paying 900 euro with QD for a 1.9 TDi.
    QD will not budge on there qoutes even if you get a cheaper qoute they will not lower,it is there policy.
    Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Hhhmmm.. just for comparison, I'll post this:

I'm 26, driving 4 years, about 100,000 miles, no claims, in 2# 1.4i cars - Citroen ZX Elysee '97 and now a Xsara '99 VL Coupé

So, when I got my full license in November 2000, I paid £IR2,400 full comp with Axa/PMPA. Last year and this year, I've been with Hibernian, and before this years renewal in December, I paid €700 full comp.

The point is, with a provisional license, you are still a hazard on the roads.

Ando, company van means nothing. Usually, the mentality is that if its not yours, you won't look after it as well.

I could not get a quote from the AA up to last year, even though I was a member from 2000. So, I left them (Citroen dealers have a good 2 year warranty and full roadside assistance on their second hand cars, well at the time of buying the Xsara 2 years ago anyway - still haven't had to use it yet).

I am guessing my quote for next year will be no more than perhaps €650... I'll find out and see, then post back...

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

provisional = hazard, couldn't agree more TBH.

I am willing to take it on the chin because it is a life skill and I need to drive to learn how to drive unfortunately I've little option but to be a hazard in that time. Besides my prov. runs out in july so it'll be 2.6k or so till then, hopefully I can get a test before that runs out and earn a cheaper insurance.

Could I get a restrictor ar anything in the interim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I got insured in much the same circumtances with QD last year. €3400 on a 1.9 diesel golf. One year on, I've got my full licence and I'm with Hibernian for €1700 on a 1.6 A3. Just got to take a hit in the first year and get off the provisional asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

get off the provisional asap
    Or get a sex change.
    I done an online quote there few weeks ago 2400 odd (if i remember right, 2k+ anyway) then filled out the form again and changed mr to ms and it had droped to about 1100, even on a provisional it was lesst than 1500. I have 1 year full liceence, only ever had driving lessons and i'm 21 and that was for a mazda demio (1.3)

Jozi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 big man

Uberwolf,

Give it a few days and ring Hibernian again. They have just extended their ignition scheme to cover provisional licences drivers driving a car upto 1400cc. Though you need to have a letter confirming that you have applied for your driving test. Might me a smart move just to apply if it saves you a couple of Euros. But they will defo do it!! Most insurers wont be played off on quotes for 23 male with a prov cos they know the market is limited for you!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

my question for everyone who listed the price quote they got...is that an annual price?
    Those rates are insane if so...I am a licensed insurance agent in the states and you only see rates like that if your driving record is really bad.
    what a rip off honestly. You would think rates would be cheaper there in comparrison to our rating factors here,
    wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Beat can you print an example quote for a typical 21yo with a provisional driving a 1.4ltr (if there is such an animal in the US). Is it true that engine capacity is not a consideration when quoting in the states ?

ZEN

• Advertisement
Advertisement