Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

it's pretty much official. half life 2 is amazing!

Options
  • 28-10-2004 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭

EDGE(the stingebags for reviews) gave it a 10. they are so critical its not funny sometimes but they actually gave half life 2 a ten. wasnt too sure how good it was goin on the other magazines revews(people said there couldve been money passed under the table) but now i believe it! cant wait for it now! another game to go on the 'to get' list

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

just out of interest, how much did they give halo (xbox and pc) and metroid prime?

i still reckon it'll be a 7 or 8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

unfortunately they didnt review either. cant wait for gamestm next week. theyll have all the games reviewed. Gta, MP2, Halo 2, half life 2 and hopefuly prince of persia and goldeneye. they gave mp2 what it deserved i think. up until burnout3 it was the only game to get a 10 but i think that will change this issue or over the next few issues with the calibur of gaes that are comin out. this is one of the best years for games ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

This impressed me alot. The only games they've given 10 to are Mario 64, Zelda OOT, Gran Tourismo and Halo.

Metroid Prime got a 9. I don't remember if Halo got a PC review. They generally don't rereview games on other formats.

I've heard it isn't a great review. The PCZone and PCGamer ones were pretty rubbish as well. They try so hard to avoid spoilers they don't end up discussing anything.

sorry i thbought you meant the new metroid prime and halo games.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I've heard it isn't a great review. The PCZone and PCGamer ones were pretty rubbish as well. They try so hard to avoid spoilers they don't end up discussing anything.
    i think that's good that they avoid spoiling the game for you hence avoiding spoilers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Edge have given Halo, Gran Turismo, Zelda 64 and Mario 64 10 out of 10. They done a feature recently about games they gave the highest possible rating too..

Speaking of which, have been wanting to read the review they gave Halo but lost my own copy. Anyone have it?

Im glad they gave ocarina a 10 cause if they didnt :mad:

games tm had only given one 10 and that was metroid prime. then burnout 3 cam along. didnt deserve a 10 imo. 9 seems fair. its amazing but not 10 worthy. MP2 will only get a 9 i fear but i think it's lookin better than the first. althuogh games tm said it has the most tactical deathmatch around. sounds promising. pity it isnt online cause that would kick so much ass. halo 2 will defo get a 10 as will half life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I though Edge doesn't give games marks anymore, they review the game and let people make up their own minds ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

I have played HL2 in beta form...its nice...

Also to clear up piracy issues i am the CEO of valve...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Jip wrote:
    I though Edge doesn't give games marks anymore, they review the game and let people make up their own minds ?
    That was an experiment they tried for one issue. And they did give the marks. I think it was either in a little table near the back of the magazine, or in the next issue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I read the PC Zone review and, glancing at the screenshots, I liked the variety of what I saw. Seemed like a proper developed world, unlike some other FPS entries.

And yet I'm still doubting. I see all these impossibly good reviews and part of me doubts. It can't be that good, can it? They're being bribed I say. After all this time for it to actually meet with expectations?? Anyone else still think we're being conned...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Edge is a terrible publication but for all their annoying superiority complex their reviews are usually spot on.

Still I have doubts. I'll believe it when I play it or when Eurogamer review it unfortunately more than likely 1 week after release.

Edge take their gaming very seriously. Rather than a bunch of yobs screaming about the latest piece of visceral hoo-hah ("EXPLOSIONS ARE WICKED"), they treat games as a significant part of our culture. And in some cases, as valid works of art. And for the past few years, they've even been demonstrating this "new games journalism" that Kieron Gillen has been saying the industry desperately needs. This might come across as a "superiority complex" to some, but I for one am glad that there's a magazine out there expressing that point of view.

As for their review.. very light on detail. More than the other reviews I've read, Edge make a concerted effort not to give anything of the game away. But I still think they could have filled it up to 4 pages or so, or whatever they've been giving to their triple-A reviews recently.

There's always the possibility of bribery. And there was rumours recently of Edge being "bought" by large publishers (and subsequent layoffs as a result). But these are just rumours. And I doubt that Valve or VU have the money to bribe all of these magazines to give them astronomical reviews. They do, however, have the talent and the creativity to produce a pretty good game.

Will it be that good? I'm reserving judgement on that until I actually get to play it. But to be fair to Edge, all of their previous 10s were just that good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Do you really hold Kieron Gillen in such high regard. I find him a bit of a tool and he seems to take to fun out of every magazine he works for. I was really disappointed with PCGamer when I went back to it when he was working for them. And the same with the other magazines (think an example is Gamesmaster when all the old Sega Power veterans started to leave and he did a stint with them).

I don't like his reviews as such. Mainly because I find his self-absorbed demeanour entirely appalling. But in terms of video game reviewers, he's one of the longest-serving and as such, probably the best suited to providing an accurate assessment of the state of video game journalism.

Just like I might not find Tom Wolfe (or his actual journalism) particularly appealing but realise that his credentials mean I must respect his "A New Journalism" as a valid call-to-arms for journalists in the seventies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Halo 2 will not get 10/10..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Since EGM turned absolutely crap, I have been reading Edge, and I think it's a very good read, most interesting articles in the business. Can understand the pretenciousness but I never ultimately feel inferior.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's still a game the last time I checked. Jesus lots of people better prepare to be disapointed, no game ever lives up to the hype it creates.

Advertisement