Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Ireland Ban Hunting?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭omnicorp

Well, then start,
    would my enviromentally friendly Yam help?
    yamman.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Ban stag-hunting. Deer are close to being wiped out in this country and this hunting is only hastening that process.

This is not true. Infact there are an overpopulation of certain breeds which is why Coillte have a controlled cull on forestries on a yearly basis.

Red deer in Kerry however are protected. All other breeds are overpopulated. Please research before spouting bull****.

.logic.

oh, so the fact that there is an overpopulation of humans mean that we can have a controlled cull of humans every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

No, but we can feed all the humans omni. If you don't cull deer herds, then more deer die than would have been culled, and through starvation which is a far less pleasant death; and the rest of the herd are left in far poorer health. Now, if we could turn over the entire countryside to them, I'm sure the herds could be larger; but then, we'd lose arable land and then we might have to start culling the human herd!

makes sense.... sorta

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Paddy20 wrote:
    Fox hunting Imho is wrong. It should be banned. Thats all I have to say before I start on those who practise it :mad:
    I am poor never had a pony as a kid, never ridden a horse in my life - yet I still think this should be allowed. I believe much of this argument is let get these rich bastards!

Seriously, before mankind toothless foxes were rapidly made less miserable by the Hibernian wolf (extinct since c1600 - was never good at history).

While hunting foxes is barbaric - I still believe it is more humane than what nature itself offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

FX Meister wrote:
    You have lost me here, and correct me if I'm taking your comment wrong. You're saying that being a vegan is buying products that have treated animals morally. By this do you mean products that do not rely on any meat production? Being vegan is not to put animal treatment before anything, it is to abstain from animal products no matter what they are. Sure it doesn't help the animals that other people are going to eat, and it isn't going to make a difference to their treatment. It is my way of not being a part of a culture that treats animals this way.
    Sorry, I worded that badly.
    What I mean is that being a vegan doesnt improve the animal cruelty situation. Your not part of the market that companies are aiming for, so whether you prefer animals who have been treated morally or not, doesnt enter into it.

By buying animal products that have been treated morally, you are in fact, demonstrating that people will pay extra for that little piece of morallity.
    Hence, being a vegan does not improve the situation.
    Buying, free range, organic foods does.

yeah, but how do you know that "organic" animals haven't been treated badly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭unme

Hunting is as old as the animal kingdom itself. You can ban the actual 'hunt' for political reasons, or reasons of personal taste, but I'm afraid it will make little difference in the wider world of nature.

Sure a handful of foxes may live a little longer, before being eventually chewed up by a stray dog, or smacked by a car. The world will keep spinning and the natural battle of predator and prey will continue. I have some friends who see themselves as anti-hunt advocates, but in a part-time hobby kind of way. It goes with the diet coke nicely.

If you ban hunting on the basis that it is cruel, then you might also consider banning foxes from killing lambs, cats from killing mice, spiders from killing flys. A spell in a secure kennel for a dog that viciously attacks a furry bunny rabbit might let it know the dim view that modern man has of such nasty behaviour. Bad dog indeed.

By the way, I don't hunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

unme wrote:
    Hunting is as old as the animal kingdom itself. You can ban the actual 'hunt' for political reasons, or reasons of personal taste, but I'm afraid it will make little difference in the wider world of nature.
    :rolleyes:
    Hey, rape is as old as humanity.
    Lets make it legal, cut out all this bull****. It happens anyway so why bother trying to prevent it. [/SARCASM(DUH!)]

• Advertisement

Gurgle wrote:
    :
    Hey, rape is as old as humanity.
    Lets make it legal, cut out all this bull****. It happens anyway so why bother trying to prevent it.

Emm... No.

I don't agree with you there. Sorry.

That is a different topic altogether that bares no comparison to your view on rape. Sarcasm or smiley faces won't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

unme wrote:
    That is a different topic altogether that bares no comparison to your view on rape.

Yes, but the topic is whether or not we should ban hunting carried out by humans for sport, not whether or not animals killing other animals is a fact of life and nature.

So one could say that your view is on a different topic altogether, which I would hazard was the point being made (and which you missed).

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Unme,

I really do wish that Boards.ie, had an award for the stupidest post of the year, as voted by it's members.

As your post would most certainly be a front runner.

Have a nice day.

:confused:

P.

unme wrote:

Sure a handful of foxes may live a little longer, before being eventually chewed up by a stray dog, or smacked by a car. The world will keep spinning and the natural battle of predator and prey will continue. I have some friends who see themselves as anti-hunt advocates, but in a part-time hobby kind of way. It goes with the diet coke nicely.

If you ban hunting on the basis that it is cruel, then you might also consider banning foxes from killing lambs, cats from killing mice, spiders from killing flys. A spell in a secure kennel for a dog that viciously attacks a furry bunny rabbit might let it know the dim view that modern man has of such nasty behaviour. Bad dog indeed.

By the way, I don't hunt.
    I ban it on the basis that it is annescarserily cruel.
    It would be different if it were for foodular reasons.

Paddy20 wrote:
    Unme,

I really do wish that Boards.ie, had an award for the stupidest post of the year, as voted by it's members.

Have a nice day.

P.

If you don't like a post, post an argument that expresses your view on the topic. Simply attempting to insult hardly makes your post look any better.

I'm having a nice day.

omnicorp wrote:
    I ban it on the basis that it is annescarserily cruel.
    It would be different if it were for foodular reasons.

Yes, you do have a point.

so you should, here have a rep. point.
    Keep up the good work in controversial views.

But, has anyone ever heard a good reason to go trophy hunting?
    The best I heard was "I like it and who cares about those f*cking deer?"
    terrible.
    How would s/he feel if a deer started hunting him for fun?

bonkey wrote:
    Yes, but the topic is whether or not we should ban hunting carried out by humans for sport, not whether or not animals killing other animals is a fact of life and nature.

So one could say that your view is on a different topic altogether, which I would hazard was the point being made (and which you missed).

jc

Of course I mentioned hunting in my post, and went on to say how the killing of one animal by another occurs naturally everyday in nature. (That is an explicit argument used my many as a justification for their 'sport'). I just chose to make my argument in a not too serious manner in the hope it would attract some debate.

Your opinion may differ from mine and that is fine with me - we can both be on-topic and still look at it from different angles. If someone wanted to discuss rape, then another thread might have been a better place to bring it up.

The points raised by others about cruelty, etc. are valid and fair. I do broadly agree with them, and I personally wouldn't take part in hunts for similar reasons. Should they be banned? That is a question that needs to be addressed by more than a simple fox-hunting-is-wrong statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Why do people impart human emotions on animals? People saying that the foxes get "stressed" when being chased and the usual scared and worried emotions people talk about. This is just another animal being killed.
    Whether we kill for sport or fun is irrelevant. We do not NEED to eat meat. Neither do we NEED to kill for fun. But both are enjoyed by us so enjoy your place at the top of the food chain and at the peak of intelectual evolution!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Paddy you don't bother to post here for ages then you crawl out from whatever stone you are hiding under and post tripe like this. Either show this chap where you disagree with his point of view or don't bother posting here again !!!!
    Paddy20 wrote:
    Unme,

Have a nice day.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Enda1,

In England some of greatest arguements in favour of allowing foxhunting had been put forward over many years.

However, I am delighted to note that this abhorrent barbaric act, has now been legally banned there.

I hope that the Irish Government will legislate in the same manner as the British Government as soon as possible, as I feel sure that the vast majority of Irish citizens are opposed to foxhunting.

Enjoy your life.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Paddy in the U.S some of the greatest arguements against allowing execution have been put forward over many years.

However, I am not delighted to note that this abhorrent barbaric act, has not been legally banned there.

We are not Britian. Just because they bring in a piece of legislation does not mean we have to.

I will enjoy my life,
    E.

hmm, I agree, the Irish government is just following in the footsteps of Britain, and look where they're going! So much for independence!

Advertisement