Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backing up on shutdown?

• 28-10-2004 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a program to do this?
    Ideally something that will backup specified files or folders when the standard windows shutdown menu is used.
    Or failing that, something with a handy backup & shutdown shortcut.
    (This is for use on a stand-alone machine, so I'd rather not have any overly complicated client/server program setup on the one machine.)
    Maybe there's some way to get this sorted with ntbackup?

Any suggestions much appreciated :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It so totally depends on the OS.

Eg: novell you could setup a logout script that ran some stuff and then logged you out - that worked for DOS

In XP PRO
    run - gpedit.msc and go into User Config - windows settings - scripts
    which points at the C:\WINDOWS\System32\GroupPolicy\User\Scripts\Logoff folder.

For Microsoft outlook have a look at pfbackup - microsoft add on that copies the PST file somewhere when you close outlook.

Another alternative would be to use Schedule / AT to have the PC push files to the server or have the server pull files from the PC every so often.

For shutdown shortcut - make a batch file with
    xcopy c:\path\myfolder\files.* x:\whatever\*.* /d /s /c
    shutdown.exe [options]

The painfull bit is that Microsoft make at least three VERY different Shutdown.exe with no common commands
    NT4 reskit shutdown /L /Y /C

NT4 TS shutdown /powerdown /delay:30 /v

XP shutdown -i -s -t 20 or something
    could not be arsed to learn yet another syntax so I use the NT4 util remotely
    shutdown \\XP /L /Y /C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Oops, how silly of me not to mention the OS... sorry about that.
    XP Home :eek:
    Which apparently isn't all that hot for backups since it's missing the volume shadow copy service... fingers crossed it has group policies though!
    Some excellent tips there though, I was wondering where they were hiding all those juicy settings. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

XP home - then on the CD somewhere is NTBACKUP.MSI
    this is a complete pig if you are trying to do automated backups to tape
    but if you define a backup job that runs to a FILE and then save the options it should be usable in batch or schedule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

That shutdown script option is perfect... coupled with xcopy in a batch file and it's doing the job nicely.
    Thanks Capt'n :D

Advertisement