Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunspot activity increases

• 28-10-2004 10:44pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this belongs here, but c'est la vie.

Apparently sunspot activity is at its highest point in over 8,000 years. Dendrochronologists (people who measure historical events through the manner in which annual tree growth rings in cambium are laid down) have established in the Max Planck Institute that sunspot activity has entered the peak in its activity cycle (they have measured almost 11,600 years of activity.

Apparently the cycle peaks every 8,000 years or so- this time round it will have implications that our forebearers never dreamt of (communication problems).

Measurements are made by measuring a combination of the characteristic concentrations of Carbon 14 and Beryllium 10, along with the manner in which xylem and phloem is arranged (which is influenced among other things through prevailing magnetic conditions present).

Hmmmm....

S.

Ps- I'm a forester, not an astronomer..... :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭SpaceJunkie

Since this deals with a phenominon on the surface of an astronomical body albeit a close one, I imagine it belongs here. That's my vote.

The sunspot activity is higher then I have seen it in some time. You can get an up-to-date view of the sun's surface here:

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/

I like this site because along with solar flare activity, you can see sunspot activity and in several wavelengths each enhancing different aspects of the activity's characteristics.

Advertisement