Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nepal, Tibet and Beijing vs. Hong Kong

• 28-10-2004 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

Been looking at Dragoman tours for a fairly non-cushy way to travel safely around these places in a decent amount of time. Anyone used them?

Also, juding by lonelyplanet.com forums and BBC News etc. Kathmandu is in a seriously bad way in terms of civil war. Dragoman still have their tours going from or to there (I'm waiting their reply) on the site. Anyone been recently? I don't want to take their other trips at the moment because I'd love to travel by the Everest Base Camp across the plateu and lakes to X'iang to see the Terra Cota Warriors.

Also, if you had a choice for a new nights - Beijing or Hong Kong?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

Both Beijing and Hong Kong are very expensive in terms of accomodation.

Beijing has the better historical sites (the forbidden palace etc.) but Hong Kong has the more spectacular modern buildings.

If you are in Hong Kong you should walk up the peak (take the "escalator" to it's top then walk along Cameron(?) street) and make sure you are at the top in the evening - the view is fantastic. (photo) then take the tram down again. Other attractions in HK worth seeing are the 10,000 budha temple (photo) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Gav99

I don't think you'll have a problem in Nepal. I've been reading up on it because I'm going there early next year and most people seem to think that the Maoist will not target tourists. They (the maoists) want to encourage tourists to still come. I definintely would not be put off going anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Merrion: Thanks for the info. The photos are class.

Gav99: Grand thanks...I guess the lonelyplanet crowd might be wandering off the beaten track a bit TOO much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

There's good photos of Hong Kong here as well

Thanking you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Beijing v. Hong Kong...

Sounds like your trip could be somewhat less than cushy so your "few days" in BJ or HK might be intended as a bit of relaxation before returning home. In which case, it's no contest: go to HK.

In my opinion, Beijing is a crass, unpleasant, uncomfortable city with plenty of genuine attractions that are well worth seeing. But it's real work to get around it, thanks to its enormous size, traffic congestion and complicated public transport.

Hong Kong, on the other hand, as Merrion says, is light on historical attractions. But just being there and wandering around is a fabulous experience. It's compact, has cheap, excellent public transport and somehow combines a very traditional Cantonese way-of-life with the most modern, free-wheeling business and consumerist society.

Honestly, it's like being in a movie. I feel totally charged with energy and possibilities when I'm there.

HK can suit whatever budget you have. I've tried every level of accommodation there from Chungking Mansions (I recommend the slightly better Mirador Mansions though) which costs almost nothing to The Peninsula which costs an arm-and-a-leg but is only a stones-throw from Chungking Mansions.

Likewise food: you can eat cheaply if you stick to the noodles and bowls of Wonton soup.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah the first part of the trip means we'll deserve the second. I'll have to do more reading on both but so far I'm liking the HK description more! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

There was a program on TV recently by Michael Palin travelling around the Himalayan countries. Don't know if it's still running but if you look up about Palin's travels or Rte archives it might be helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Never been to Beijing, but HK is wonderful! I really loved it, very exciting and energising as davros has said. The nighttime view from Kowloon across at HK island is...amazing! You will have the camera out for certain. The view from on top of Victoria Peak is great too. Visit Po Lin monastery on Lantau island (just a ferry ride away) and walk in their grounds. They love their food there, another great thing. I am jealous!

Advertisement