Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional Licence in N.Ireland

Options
  • 29-10-2004 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine has to drive to Donegal town next week from Dublin. He's on a 2nd provisional. He wants to cut through the North to save time on the journey, but I told him you can't drive outside the Republic on a provisional. Am I wrong or if I'm not, is this sort of thing policed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭ciasto

Well your right, he does not have a licence to drive outside of the country. So infact he doesn't have insurance once he crosses over too. But weather the Police will do something about it depends on the copper!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I really wouldn't recommend it. The idiotic policy of allowing people to drive unaccompanied on provisional licenses is not recognised in the North.

Of course to a certain extent, like the hordes of Northern drivers that swarm down here to commit traffic offences, you may get away with it. On the other hand, driving unacompanied is taken quite seriously so who knows what they may end up doing.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

spuddy wrote:
    A friend of mine has to drive to Donegal town next week from Dublin. He's on a 2nd provisional. He wants to cut through the North to save time on the journey, but I told him you can't drive outside the Republic on a provisional. Am I wrong or if I'm not, is this sort of thing policed?

From my previous experience with the then RUC, they will regard him as a learner driver, and as such he must be accompanied by a qualified driver. So don't let him do this on his own :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Borzoi wrote:
    From my previous experience with the then RUC, they will regard him as a learner driver, and as such he must be accompanied by a qualified driver. So don't let him do this on his own :)
    Whilst on a provisional I was stopped numerous times by the RUC (routine stops!) who never batted an eyelid but I presume this was because they had other concerns when talking to a driver of a Southern registered car!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

kbannon wrote:
    Whilst on a provisional I was stopped numerous times by the RUC (routine stops!) who never batted an eyelid but I presume this was because they had other concerns when talking to a driver of a Southern registered car!

Maybe I (or father my friend who was driving) just got a guy on a bad day :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

spuddy wrote:

Just look at the fron of the licence at the bottom . . . it says something like; "This is a licence issued to enable the holder to learn to drive and is not valid outside ROI" (or something to that effect).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It just says "outside Ireland" on my one, not "outside Republic of Ireland".

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Stark wrote:
    It just says "outside Ireland" on my one, not "outside Republic of Ireland".

Whatever . . . I doubt the DoE means the entire island of Ireland - N.I. is part of the U.K., and road users there are licensed by the DVLA, not the DoE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

The Irish Provisional "licence" permits the licence holder to drive in the Republic of Ireland, that is the Irish law.

If the licence holder wishes to drive in another country, regardless of what country that is, he is then subject to their law. Most countries only recognise full licences.

So really it is UK law that you should look at, do they recognise foreign privisional licences?

No need to look at Irish law, even if you find a loophold which allows the word "Ireland" to equal 32 counties, that doesn't matter.

Advertisement