Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swordfish in Dublin

• 29-10-2004 8:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Hello!

Can anyone help me find a fishmonger or supermarket in Dublin which sells swordfish please?

Am trying to cook a nice dinner for my girlfriend on Saturday night - swordfish is her favourite fish so was hoping to try get some. I live in Skerries in North Dublin and have tried my local Supervalu but they never have any!

I am working Saturday so wont be able to get into the city to buy some before then. I do work out in Clondalkin and take the M50 and M1 home so if anyone knows of any supermarket or fishmongers just off these motorways or around Skerries who have swordfish could they please please please let me know?

Thanks for your help! =)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

fish markets in town will have swordfish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

TCP/IP wrote:
    fish markets in town will have swordfish

I cant get into town though - have to work tomorrow =(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What about the various fishmongers on and around Howth pier?

Alun wrote:
    What about the various fishmongers on and around Howth pier?

Really? I've never been to Howth so didnt realise they were there - do you know if they would be open tomorrow afternoon?

Really? I've never been to Howth so didnt realise they were there - do you know if they would be open tomorrow afternoon?

http://www.beshoffs.ie/aboutus.html Open Saturday until 6pm

http://www.wrightsofhowth.com No opening times but you could ring them

Both of them apparently do mail order too, but not sure whether that's restricted to packaged smoked stuff like salmon or whether they will send fresh fish too.

They're both easy to find, bang next to each other IIRC.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote:
    http://www.beshoffs.ie/aboutus.html Open Saturday until 6pm

http://www.wrightsofhowth.com No opening times but you could ring them

Both of them apparently do mail order too, but not sure whether that's restricted to packaged smoked stuff like salmon or whether they will send fresh fish too.

They're both easy to find, bang next to each other IIRC.

Brilliant!! Thanks a million Alan - could probably make it into Howth on my home on Saturday - thanks again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I highly recommend visiting the fish mongers on the piers in Howth. Considerably cheaper than any of the supermarkets.
    Every 2 months or so I drive out (from Dublin 15) and get a bunch of salmon steaks or a whole salmon (and cut it into pieces and freeze it).

It might be worth ringing your nearest Superquinn. I've seen shark there so they might also stock swordfish.

I heard swordfish was good for fish kebabs - it holds together well where other, softer fish would break apart.

Brilliant!! Thanks a million Alan - could probably make it into Howth on my home on Saturday - thanks again!!

No problem! It might be a good idea though to just give them a quick ring beforehand to make sure they've got some in to save a wasted journey.

Alun wrote:
    No problem! It might be a good idea though to just give them a quick ring beforehand to make sure they've got some in to save a wasted journey.

Will do - thanks again lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

The fish mongers in Howth definately sell sword fish I got some about 2 weeks ago, as far as I can remember Superquinn in Sutton sell it too. It was pricey though about €6.50 a fillet. I personally would go for the Tuna, I got some at the same time and it was the nicer of the two.

C

• Advertisement

Cionn wrote:
    The fish mongers in Howth definately sell sword fish I got some about 2 weeks ago, as far as I can remember Superquinn in Sutton sell it too. It was pricey though about €6.50 a fillet. I personally would go for the Tuna, I got some at the same time and it was the nicer of the two.

C

Thanks Cionn - might give Superquinn a ring if I cant make it out to Howth.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 clarkee

Nicki's in Howth, on the peir. open early on Saturdy mornings untill 11ish.

Advertisement