Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA: San Andreas; from the leak to retail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Whats the logic behind Rockstar penalising shops anyway, one would have thought the sooner the game is out the better from their point of view. The only people it hurts is the other retailers who haven't released it yet.
    I had it preordered from play.com but ended up cancelling that cos a week is too long to wait for delivery, I'm willing to pay the extra fiver to get it in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

I think you are taking me up wrong. The problem you are describing is stuff appearing out of nowhere like buildings etc and the bad draw distance?

That has always been present in all 3D gta games. Whats new to this game however is you can be walking on grass for example. But instead of a grassy texture you get this palin dull green. Then out of nowhere a couple of seconds later it appears as grass. Its very noticabe while playing, and quite annoying. The same happend with textures on houses etc.

You will see it if you play the PS2 version it occurs because the dvd drive cant acces the data fast enough.

WellyJ

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The glitch I'm talking about is when you are driving aroung and suddenly all the ground textures disappear as if they haven't loaded up and reappear a few seconds later. If this is the bug you are talking about then it definitely happens on PC as well.

Anyway it's not your bull it's rockstars so don't take offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Are you referring to when the ground disappears and you can see underground? And its as if you are driving on nothing? I've seen that on PC too, Thats not what im talking about. That seems to have been irradicated from SA but i know it was a problem in previous releases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

Wheres the cheapest place to buy this little gem anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

What Rockstar is apparently doing is not sending any more stock to any store who breaks release date. True pain this Christmas for any store who breaks street on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

If I was Rockstar I wouldn't send any to Dixons. They took Rockstars' last game off the shelves. Manhunt I think it was called.

Seen as how theres another topic with a few people who've bought the game from friends who work in Xtravision, doesn't that mean the street date has already been broken by them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

dunno how they got a copy from xtra-vision cause xtra-vision doesn't get stock till thursdays. Plus if an item is sold through the system before release its flagged to head office.

People have been sacked from xtra-vision for breaking releases. I've never heard of any xtra-vision store breaking release without someone else doing it first.

I seriously though anyone got a copy of their friend in xtra-vision as the deliveries haven't left distribution yet.

EDIT: also xtra-vision won't allow staff to purchase items before release unlike gamestop or GAME.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Maybe they scanned a different game of the same price through the system. Surely Xtravision won't go crazy if one of their stock is +1 and another -1??? I work in a big clothes shop and if the stock computer says there is +20 (or -20) you may as give up looking for the item. Thats how much stuff goes missing.

• Advertisement

Xtravision would keep everything behind the counter though not out hanging there for anyone to take. I know when I used to work in a shop stuff on the shop floor would be all over the plae, but if there was so much as one pack of cigarettes missing from behind the counter there was trouble.

Well stock checks are done regular. And all new releases are sealed away after delivery.

I've received phone calls about a new release item being sold through by mistake before (wrong code used. stock actually still there) and they weren't pleasant. Now i'm basing on this on my district in Dublin.

I seen a lad who worked in a Xtra-Game being sacked cause he tried that.

EDIT: also rockstar told all retailers that they would only receive as much stock as they prebooked due to shortages. So the games would be getting put aside with names and contact numbers on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

Ya I rang xtravision today and they said it would be released on Friday.
    But then they asked if I had a prebooking and then I gave my personal details to confirm it. They then told me that they would be recieving the stock thursday morning and to ring in the morning to see if the release date had been changed *Hint Hint Hint*
    So I am hoping for tomorrow morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep thats the one i was on about. Thought you were talking about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

well im just after suffering a surprise delivery from head office today of our allocation of gta, we just had enough to cover our prebooks i think we could be short one though hopefully not, the map is huge and the manual is really funny look out for the san fierro packers sponsered by fierro fudge. and no it is not out xv are probably the last to release stuff we ALWAYS follow our competitors in releasese the company already has close links with the likes of sony and doesn't want to jeopardise those sort of relations because it makes things easier to get large amounts of copies, free stuff etc..... anyhow it probably will get released tomorrow at some stage and we cant sell it early to mates id give it about 24 hours before you'd be getiing a call from head office telling you to collect your P45 if you did, all stock gets counted in the morning and yes its a pain in the arse 2000 dvds, 400 games, 100 phones, dvd players etc....
    i really doubt anyone who hasn't prebooked it will get one who have to remember its a non-US worldwide release and the quantities are massive and a country such as ourselves wit a small population and a relatively small market.
    anyhow those of who are getting it hope your taking the day of work for it cos it looks like a weekend of fun ahead of us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

DSC00542.JPG
    DSC00545.JPG
    DSC00546.JPG

me :)

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Small market?? heh heh,

Ireland has the largest population of Playstation per capita outside of Japan.

joe316 wrote:
    well im just after suffering a surprise delivery from head office today of our allocation of gta, we just had enough to cover our prebooks i think we could be short one though hopefully not, the map is huge and the manual is really funny look out for the san fierro packers sponsered by fierro fudge. and no it is not out xv are probably the last to release stuff we ALWAYS follow our competitors in releasese the company already has close links with the likes of sony and doesn't want to jeopardise those sort of relations because it makes things easier to get large amounts of copies, free stuff etc..... anyhow it probably will get released tomorrow at some stage and we cant sell it early to mates id give it about 24 hours before you'd be getiing a call from head office telling you to collect your P45 if you did, all stock gets counted in the morning and yes its a pain in the arse 2000 dvds, 400 games, 100 phones, dvd players etc....
    i really doubt anyone who hasn't prebooked it will get one who have to remember its a non-US worldwide release and the quantities are massive and a country such as ourselves wit a small population and a relatively small market.
    anyhow those of who are getting it hope your taking the day of work for it cos it looks like a weekend of fun ahead of us

bah!! surprise deliveries are the worse. I hate stickering.

A friend's family member works in gamestop and he has a copy now. But its being brought back tomorrow as he's not buying it. So someone is gonna get a second hand copy, lol.

plus gamestop barely got enought to cover prebooks aswell. Apparently the Sony production plant can't produce the games fast enough for the demand or rockstar are deliberally causing a shortage for guranteed prebooks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

adnans wrote:
    DSC00542.JPG
    DSC00545.JPG
    DSC00546.JPG

me :)

adnans

nice line 6 pod
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Bah, me-thinks i should have ordered this......:(

• Advertisement

hshortt wrote:
    Small market?? heh heh,

Ireland has the largest population of Playstation per capita outside of Japan.
    yeah but how many copies are going to be sold in comparsion here to the uk or france, ireland has about a million ps2 whereas the uk has about 10 million makes sense to send more to the uk than here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Thats always been a problem with gta. What can make it worse is playing it on an old ps2 and the fact that your playing a back up. Im not getting as much problems as i had with vice city though, caused me real problems in that. Stuff popping out of nowhere if i went too fast. In san andreas it just seems to go blurry if im going real fast

joe316 wrote:
    yeah but how many copies are going to be sold in comparsion here to the uk or france, ireland has about a million ps2 whereas the uk has about 10 million makes sense to send more to the uk than here

Obviously they're going to send more in total quantity to UK than here, but we dont have 60 million people here to all run to the shops, so it's all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

huh?

yeah my point is that they wont be as interested in sending extra copies over here to cover non prebooks than to the uk, so anyhow is anyone willing to tell me which if any of the xv s have released early so i can get onto my dm and i can buy mine or if anyone knows for definate that any shops in the kildare area are selling early

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i'm pretty sure xtra-vision in newbridge will have a few extra copies. i know some of them in there and i was told i wouldn't have to prebook it. but maybe thats cause i know them.

think they got a few extra because they are a game trading store and think they had some crazy amount of prebooking summit like 350 copies, are they on sale at the moment?

joe316 wrote:
    yeah my point is that they wont be as interested in sending extra copies over here to cover non prebooks than to the uk, so anyhow is anyone willing to tell me which if any of the xv s have released early so i can get onto my dm and i can buy mine or if anyone knows for definate that any shops in the kildare area are selling early

I dont understand, why would they not want to sell the game in Ireland?
    Pulling figures off the top of my head(probably way out), supposing 50% of people here who want the game have prebooked and 50% of people in the UK who want the game have prebooked. So they produce that and a little bit more. Wouldn't it make sense for them to cover say 75% of the demand in Ireland and 75% of the demand in the UK? If they just sent everything to the UK then only 50% of Ireland would be covered and 80% of the UK covered(that 25% of Ireland is small compared to the massive UK market). I don't understand why you think that's the most logical course of action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

can I buy a vowel? 'u' perhaps?

Advertisement