Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual DDR quick question

Options
  • 29-10-2004 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭

How important is it to buy a matched kit for Dual DDR operation?

e.g. I bought 1 stick of TwinMOS 512Mb DDR 400, if I bought another of the same would Dual DDR work or would I need a matched kit.

A quick google suggestes matched kits gaurantee operation of Dual DDR but that 9/10 times non matched same timing/speed/size sticks will do - anyone ever have any problems?

Cheers
    BID

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

you should have no probs running another of the same.

i had an issue once trying ot mix two sticks of what was similar ram bought off the xms range by corsair but because the two different sticks of memory used different chips, one CH-5 one BH-5 it didn't work.

so my advice would be to just by another stick of the twinmos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

How important is it to buy a matched kit for Dual DDR operation?

e.g. I bought 1 stick of TwinMOS 512Mb DDR 400, if I bought another of the same would Dual DDR work or would I need a matched kit.

A quick google suggestes matched kits gaurantee operation of Dual DDR but that 9/10 times non matched same timing/speed/size sticks will do - anyone ever have any problems?

Cheers
    BID
    You wont get dual channel preformance with two dimms , unless they are a dual channel kit.

eh afaik thats wrong

getting dual channel performance has nothing to do with buying a dual channel kit

my dual channel enabled with mixed corsair memory not from a kit prime95 stability was another issue but dual channel was there

i'm on dual channel now with mixed mushkin and corsair things also

Dataisgod wrote:
    eh afaik thats wrong

getting dual channel performance has nothing to do with buying a dual channel kit

my dual channel enabled with mixed corsair memory not from a kit prime95 stability was another issue but dual channel was there

i'm on dual channel now with mixed mushkin and corsair things also
    I thought they had to be a matched pair and designed to run together to run in dual channel mode???

nah afaik its more of a marketing thing, fair enough if you're buying a gig you might as well buy a matched pair guaranteed to work etc., but if you buy half a gig and upgrade later seeking out the same memory should be more than sufficient to have dual channel running.

• Advertisement

Dataisgod wrote:
    nah afaik its more of a marketing thing, fair enough if you're buying a gig you might as well buy a matched pair guaranteed to work etc., but if you buy half a gig and upgrade later seeking out the same memory should be more than sufficient to have dual channel running.
    Ok cool, im having difficulty getting another 512meg of my memory cheap enough, OCZ have stopped production of it awhile back, damn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Dataisgod wrote:
    eh afaik thats wrong
    yep.

i have a stick of 512mb and 256mb twinmos cheap ram in this rig, damn thing is running in dual channel now :eek:

just buy 2 of the same, matched pairs are a rip off

yeah i had that problem as well, my 3500 corsair was discontinued as it was BH-5 chips.

when i bought a stick of low latency 3200 to match i couldn't get stability together at a variety of different vdimm's and timings. the stability though was related to dual channel afaik just that i was mixing memory modules

the result being i rma'd it back to komplett. i realised i was being ripped off for the one stick anyway and bought a gig of dual channel mushkin stuff for 260 of www.shop4memory.com

was gonna sell my original corsair stick but stuck it in with it even though my board doesn't support 3 sticks of 3200. it works fine for windows and gaming though i doubt its prime95 stable, while the gig of mushkin is. the 3 sticks where not however stable for a windows install i had to remove the corsair.

anyway long winded ram story aside what i'm saying is that you if you can't get the ocz you could try a similar stick and see if it has the same chips on it or bite the bullet buy a gig pack and sell the original 3500

tman wrote:
    yep.

i have a stick of 512mb and 256mb twinmos cheap ram in this rig, damn thing is running in dual channel now :eek:

I wish i could get "cheap" ram for my rig, the price u pay for the athlon fx, heheheh, i aint complainin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

tman wrote:
    yep.

How did you manage to get Performance mode with two dimms of different size? First I heard of it :confused:

Peformance Mode is enabled when Two dimms of equal size and same timings are used. Easiest way is to buy matched pairs but as long as you can get both dimm's to run the exact same timings(i.e. the closer the specifications) and its fine but the modules will run to the speed of the slower module, if their is one slower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yep mismatched ram can still operate as dual channel, even with different size sticks, depending not only on the memory, but very much so on the mobo

To get optimal performance out of mismatched ram is very unlikely though

Dual channel with good memory gives my P4C 3.0 a huge performance boost over cheapo single channel :)

Not much point in spending a fortune on a cpu if you're going to use crap memory imho...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I wish i could get "cheap" ram for my rig, the price u pay for the athlon fx, heheheh, i aint complainin

I think i've said it to you before but I can't beleive you have such a high end system with only 512mb of RAM :eek:

BloodBath

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I think i've said it to you before but I can't beleive you have such a high end system with only 512mb of RAM

Yeah its a crime. I'm thinking of starting a gline support fund where everyone on boards chips in by sending gline some money towards new ram or send him some ram we aint using :)

depends on what you do with the rig though i suppose, i only notice heavy ram usage mainly for games. particularly loading times and also having the ability to alt+tab out of em.

i agree though that a gig is the way forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Dempsey wrote:
    How did you manage to get Performance mode with two dimms of different size? First I heard of it :confused:
    i didn't even try to turn it on... the mobo just set it automatically on the first boot after putting the 256mb stick in :confused:
    had a quick look through the bios (abit nf7) for the option to turn it off but i couldn't seem to find it...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The BIOS and Chipset will determine wether it can be activated or not. Buy Im surprised that your using two different sized dimms, thats all.

What are you using to see if its enabled or not?

BloodBath wrote:
    I think i've said it to you before but I can't beleive you have such a high end system with only 512mb of RAM :eek:

BloodBath
    Like i said before, the ram i am using is nearly extinct because it is out of production ages ago, and where you can get it it's ultra expensive, also i dont think 1gig is completly necessary, not much program or games usin more than 512megs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Azza wrote:
    Yeah its a crime. I'm thinking of starting a gline support fund where everyone on boards chips in by sending gline some money towards new ram or send him some ram we aint using :)

LOL
    tman wrote:
    i didn't even try to turn it on... the mobo just set it automatically on the first boot after putting the 256mb stick in
    had a quick look through the bios (abit nf7) for the option to turn it off but i couldn't seem to find it...

Most systemboards activate it automatically when - memory is paired up ( interleaving ) Most systemboards do no have a option to turn it off either -

To get the best performance best of pairing it up with the same type of dimm cas levels and dimm speed ie - PC4000 -3500-3200

Azza wrote:
    I wont say no, heehheh i have 2 other systems awaiting building, hehehhe, gline support fund, lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Like i said before, the ram i am using is nearly extinct because it is out of production ages ago, and where you can get it it's ultra expensive, also i dont think 1gig is completly necessary, not much program or games usin more than 512megs

Your wrong there mate. You would notice a big difference in performance with 1 gig especially if your running windows xp which is probably hogging 150-200mb of that ram leaving only 350mb for games. All new games like, doom3, far cry, hl2, bf vietnam are memory hogs.

BloodBath

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

gline wrote:

512MB is bare minimum these days, i recently upgraded from 512 to 1gig cos i was having extreme probs running the latest games and apps.. and you do really notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

you not honestly telling us you gonna run your system with 512MB when the system requirement is 512MB for what you are running are you?

StRiKeR wrote:
    you not honestly telling us you gonna run your system with 512MB when the system requirement is 512MB for what you are running are you?
    i am gonna run my system with what i can afford and what is available, u find the 512meg of the ram i have for under 200 and i will buy it, :D

gline wrote:
    i am gonna run my system with what i can afford and what is available, u find the 512meg of the ram i have for under 200 and i will buy it, :D

Maybe Ocz memory 512Mb DDR PC-3500 Enhanced Latency - OCZ

433Mhz, 184 pins, 64 bit, CL2, OCZ EL DDR IC (4.5 ns) w/ copper heatspreader

? 138.84 ex. VAT ? 168incl. VAT

BloodBath wrote:
    Your wrong there mate. You would notice a big difference in performance with 1 gig especially if your running windows xp which is probably hogging 150-200mb of that ram leaving only 350mb for games. All new games like, doom3, far cry, hl2, bf vietnam are memory hogs.

BloodBath

True far cry - hogs about 500Mb when playng at pretty high resolution

• Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

gline wrote:
    i am gonna run my system with what i can afford and what is available

Contradictio mon ami :)

Getting the FX-51 and then adding some el-cheapo ram. It's like buying a Ferrari and then sticking in a 1.0 liter 16 valve Nissan Micra Engine :eek:

You're better off with a BMW M5 :cool:

Eh sorry, translated that means a cheaper, but better performing rig comprising of matching components ;)
    BloodBath wrote:

Yeah, BloodBath right!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

that is a pretty f*cked up combo actually, seeing as you're going to be hard disk thrashing more often which slows the pc down the most, leaving your expensive graphics card/chip sitting idle.

A cheaper chip with more ram would have given better performance :)

unkel wrote:
    Contradictio mon ami :)

Getting the FX-51 and then adding some el-cheapo ram. It's like buying a Ferrari and then sticking in a 1.0 liter 16 valve Nissan Micra Engine :eek:

You're better off with a BMW M5 :cool:

Eh sorry, translated that means a cheaper, but better performing rig comprising of matching components ;)

Yeah, BloodBath right!
    "some el-cheapo ram"???? The ram cost a lot of cash man at the time, it was the best u can get for socket 940's at the time, i was gonna wait til i got more money to upgrade to 1 gig but then they stopped making it.

Thanks for the link Mac daddy, but that is not ECC ram so it will not suit the socket 940 board, that pc3500 OCZ ram went out of production

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

tman wrote:
    i didn't even try to turn it on... the mobo just set it automatically on the first boot after putting the 256mb stick in :confused:

on the nf7 series boards, if you put the memory in slot 1 and 3 it will run [try to run] in dual channel mode any other slots and it will run normally.

Also you would only need more than 512mb of ram if you are playing top of the range games or video/image editing, day to day tasks wont be faster with more memory either will windows. Have a google for windows xp performance levels with more than 512mb of ram [or did they fix this with sp2?] windows just uses more memory if its there, if you were running linux this would be different as linux keeps things in memory untill they are over written, which will speed up opening applications [windows does this to a certain extent also]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

COUGH

Just to let ye know, the 2 sticks of TwinMOS 512 MB CL 2.5 are working fine in Dual DDR mode .... cheers

Advertisement