Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB - 5Km limit??

• 29-10-2004 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

For some time now I have been chasing IBB for a connection. I'm in Enniskerry, and they are my only option [apart from satellite - too expensive!].

They told me to hang on 'till the Bray transposer came on line. Now they tell me I'm too far away :mad:

I'm at 6.5Km from the mast but have clear line of sight.

Anyone ever manage to connect to IBB at that range??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

richardo wrote:
    For some time now I have been chasing IBB for a connection. I'm in Enniskerry, and they are my only option [apart from satellite - too expensive!].

They told me to hang on 'till the Bray transposer came on line. Now they tell me I'm too far away :mad:

I'm at 6.5Km from the mast but have clear line of sight.

Anyone ever manage to connect to IBB at that range??
    I have "heard" of ppeople getting IBB installed though they are further then 5km away from a transmitter, you arent that far away. Have they done an LOS test??

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

I asked them to do an LOS test, but their reply was that they had "decided" that I was too far away and that it would be a waste of [their] time.

that wouldnt surprise me, there is nothing you can do then mate. Try go for another ISP if at all possible

Try go for another ISP if at all possible

The usual story - no sign of Enniskerry exchange being upgraded in the forseeable future, which leaves me with wireless or satellite.

The only wireless provider is IBB, and satellite is way over my head [bad pun intended :D ]

That is why I was pressing IBB. I first contacted them in February, and they kept my hopes up all Spring/Summer with the promise of Bray going live. Then, when it does go live they slap me with the range business.

I would like to try an LOS test, but they say no. Are they taking the lazy way out, or is 6.5Km just too far??

probably the lazy way out, there is another reseller for IBB, i used to have the number, have a look for wirelless broadband on iol.ie, i'll try dig out the number

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

6.5km's is not too far. I'm pretty sure the engineer told me that their 5.8Ghz service is good up to 10km's. I'd say it's likely to work up to 30km's, but it depends on the aerial and the radio I suppose.

Have you dealt with just one person? Try calling sales again and maybe you'll get somebody who's willing to give it a shot. I also thought it was mentioned here that they're out of capacity in Bray and have had to delay installations. Perhaps they're getting enough demand within the 5km radius that they don't need to bother with Enniskerry.

probably the lazy way out, there is another reseller for IBB, i used to have the number, have a look for wirelless broadband on iol.ie, i'll try dig out the number

I had a look around the various providers, and my hopes were raised by WEB-SAT. Bunged 'em off a mail, but (and I quote) "Web-Sat are no longer offering our service in Ireland". Story of my life....
    I'd still be interested in that number Gline, if you can find it.....
    6.5km's is not too far

Blaster99 - you give a bloke hope!! I'll try giving them another call [now that I have something to throw at them]. And if they say that they are out of capacity.......... Just wait for the mushroom cloud over Sandyford Ind Est :cool:

MAn it was ages ago i had the number for a reseller, i cant eveen remember the name of them, i will have to try find it, dont hold your hopes up it was about a year ago i had the number, so they mite not even be a reseller for IBB anymore

ALRITEEEEEE, a quick search in IOL and i found the company, dont know if they still do it but heres the web address

http://www.adslnow.ie

MAn it was ages ago i had the number for a reseller, i cant eveen remember the name of them, i will have to try find it, dont hold your hopes up it was about a year ago i had the number, so they mite not even be a reseller for IBB anymore
    Don't worry about it Gline. I'll go straight to the Organ Grinder. Thanks anyway..

• Advertisement

No Problemo, i hop u get it sorted

ALRITEEEEEE

Had a look at the ADSLNow site for the Wicklow area. I'm afraid it's the old story - only ADSL [no good to me], no wireless, and satellite at €159 a month [after lashing out €3,950 for installation]. I'll keep them in mind for when I win the Lottery next week [or Great Aunt Bertha kicks it and leaves me her millions, whichever is the soonest].

It looks like one way or another, I'm going to have to renew my old friendships with the IBB Sales team. I'm looking forward to that beautiful musak while I'm left on hold for the mandatory half-hour :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Digiweb Satelite is way cheaper than those prices you quoted.
    E750 for kit, E350 for install - E85 per month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Chaz wrote:
    Digiweb Satelite is way cheaper than those prices you quoted.
    E750 for kit, E350 for install - E85 per month.

Those are mad prices for BB. E1k just to get it installed? Thats crazy. I'd say just keep pestering IBB. Try to get hold of their sales manager or something like that.

I'd already ruled out satellite on the grounds of expense [and that was based on Digiweb's pricing!]

It looks like I'll have to get out the old tent and set up camp in IBB's offices.

I'll restart my phone campaign on Monday. Maybe they'll be more responsive after the extra hours sleep they'll get on Sunday after the clocks go back?????

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

"Thank you for continuing to hold, your call is is important to us" --- as if!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

richardo wrote:
    I'd already ruled out satellite on the grounds of expense [and that was based on Digiweb's pricing!]

It looks like I'll have to get out the old tent and set up camp in IBB's offices.

I'll restart my phone campaign on Monday. Maybe they'll be more responsive after the extra hours sleep they'll get on Sunday after the clocks go back?????

I have the email of one of their residential sales manager but its on my work email. I'll get it for you on Monday. However, dont expect them to reply immediately. It takes up to 3-5 days for them to reply from my experience.

neokenzo wrote:
    I have the email of one of their residential sales manager but its on my work email. I'll get it for you on Monday. However, dont expect them to reply immediately. It takes up to 3-5 days for them to reply from my experience.

Thanks Joe. That would be much appreciated

Let us know how u get on

Let us know how u get on

I phoned IBB and managed to get through after only two attempts.

They are now saying that VL Premium service might be suitable and could I reapply all over again.

So it's back to square one.............. :mad:

• Advertisement

richardo wrote:
    I phoned IBB and managed to get through after only two attempts.

They are now saying that VL Premium service might be suitable and could I reapply all over again.

So it's back to square one.............. :mad:
    Man they are crazy, but it is some light at the end of the long tunnell, just pop in an application, its better then no net access, im still waiting, i mite ring them again today, it was thursday i last rang them (or was it friday???i cant remember, been ringing them so much :( )

Man they are crazy

Not so crazy!! Having driven me to the point of distraction, they are now offering me a service at twice the price. And, like a moth to the flame, off I go to post my new application.....

I suppose it'll be another six months before I hear anything [sigh]

Which service exactly are they offering and which service were you looking for?

Blaster99 wrote:
    Which service exactly are they offering and which service were you looking for?

They are offering VL Premium at €84.70 p.m.

I was hoping for Breeze Home [€35] or Breeze Home Plus [€48.40]

Their website is a bit confusing [am I surprised?] in that they offer Breeze 1Mb Lite, or Ripwave on the site itself, but if you download the order form they offer Ripwave, Breeze Home, Breeze Home Plus or VL Premium. There is no mention of VL Premium on the site apart from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

They are offering VL Premium at €84.70 p.m.
    Why not ask for "Breeze 1MB Lite" with the VL equipment. Possibly mention that a friend of yours has it, and he recommended it to you over eircom, and you decided that this was better than eircom, so you cancelled your free trail yada yada yada. Its worth a shot. Its 1meg/1meg for EUR48 a month. Not too bad, but definately better value than what you're being asked to pay for.

Why not ask for "Breeze 1MB Lite" with the VL equipment

You're on. I'll try that. They mightn't fall for the "decided that this was better than eircom" bit as they probably know it's not an option. I'll tell 'em I'm going for Digiweb because it's only marginally more expensive than VL Premium!!

Ultimately all the VL products (20:1 1Mbps upwards) use the same technology, so this must be sales pushing to sell a higher margin product. There's no technical reason why the 8:1 product would be any better over a longer distance than the 20:1 product. One of the nice things with IBB is that you're scalable up to 3Mbps.

Yeh ive only heard good things about the VL equipment, a mate of mine has had it over 6 months and absolutly no problems

Breaking News

I banged off my application yesterday and followed it up with an e-mail this morning. I took Mutant Fruit's advice and requested the Breeze 1Mb Lite.

Got an e-mail from them this afternoon.
    They have received my application [if my present connection speed was half as fast as snail-mail I'd be laughing!] and I am down for the Breeze. Usual thing about waiting for 3-4 weeks.

At least I now have an Account Number.... ;)

• Advertisement

well i hope u get it dude , fingers crossed

Advertisement