Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi UK Reflector Telescope..

• 29-10-2004 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Just had a look on the UK Aldi site, and they are currently selling this;
    Check out uk.aldi.com
    Reflector Telescope
    [TPLVAR_CMD_splittext] Search the skies with this fantastic reflector telescope. * 76mm spherical mirror * 700mm focal length * 262x maximum magnification * 6 x 25mm finderscope * 3 x 31.7mm eye pieces, 20mm, 12.5mm and 4mm * Full length aluminium tripod with AG Azimuth mount and accessory tray * Two space maps and CD Rom astronomical guide * Instruction manual * Complete in smart carry case.

Anyone know if it would be worth heading up North to look for? Or is there anyone up North that may be willing to pick one up for a Southerner?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Hi,

There has been a bit of discussion on this on the IFAS board.

The conclusion seems to be that it is not worth buying. If it was a refractor then perhaps, but a 76mm REFLECTOR is not worth it.

As someone out the minimum diameter for a reflector mirror you should consider is 4.5 inches. You would be better to put the money into a pair of binoculars or wait and see if lidl/aldi offer a refracting telescope again.

Cheers,
    ~Al

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

im thinking of selling mine... must pop it up on the for sale board..

4.2inch version of this
    http://www.andromedaoptics.com/mak.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

what price are you looking for it, ya lazy git?

:)

Seanie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/glen.oliver/maksutov.htm

Mine is the 3rd down, perfect condition, if i got 300 yoyo's id be happy! paid 550 for it in January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Im selling my Celestron refractor http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=197992

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Seanie M wrote:
    what price are you looking for it, ya lazy git?

:)

Seanie

Hi Seanie,

I've bought it off him, as he was stuck for money. Havent got round to using it yet. But I spend most weekends in the wilds of Offaly, should get some good use outa it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Bogger77 wrote:
    But I spend most weekends in the wilds of Offaly, should get some good use outa it.

Funny that, so does Seanie. I can thoroughly reccomend Tullamore Astronomical Society if you are not involved with them already, I've driven down from Dublin to observe down there and its been well worth it.

Cheers,
    ~Al (all of Offaly is wild isnt it? :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Thanks Al, yes, trees and bushes everywhere, hardly have electricity... some people do have cars though... :D

Bogger, check out www.tullamoreastronomy.com for a bit more info!

Seanie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Seanie M wrote:
    Thanks Al, yes, trees and bushes everywhere, hardly have electricity... some people do have cars though... :D

Bogger, check out www.tullamoreastronomy.com for a bit more info!

Seanie.

I'm from over the west of the county, will be moving to an area surrounded by empty fields and bogs, only thing, athlone casts a lot of light to the northern horizon.

I'm in dub all the week, will have a look at the society though.

C/b

Advertisement