Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pizza Thread!

• 29-10-2004 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭

Would post this on the food and drink board but would feel it wouldnt get the utmost important attention it duely deserves! :D .....but close it if ya like!
    Question is, whats the best pizza you ever had?where did you buy it?and what were the toppings?
    Same questions go for the worst!
    the best i had was in a pizza hut in London, and it had some spicy meat on top, pepperoni's and onion!....Loved it!
    The worst was from a local of mine that aint open anymore were they put the pepperoni underneath the cheese so it didnt cook properly and just tasted horrible!

At least from this some of us can establish where to get good pizza!.....Others might think its a waste of a thread!....your choice! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Waste of a thread......!

No... just kidding! :)

Best Pizza:

Aussie from Bistro Bianconi - I was a bit wary of this one. Mainly because i'm not a big fan of egg and the whisked egg put me right off but i was feeling adventurous and i had it. It was lovely - i have it practically every time i order Pizza now.

Description: Bianconi pizza sauce, grated mozzarella, slices of succulent ham, double helping of smoked bacon pieces, whisked egg, and finished with an extra layer of cheese on top and a pinch of cracked black pepper.

Worst Pizza:

I once had a pizza from 4 Star Pizza for really cheap (thankfully!) - think it was on the back of a cinema ticket or something like that! But i decided to try Anchovies on it - WORST IDEA EVER! Really vile salty fishy pizza. Puke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Have to agree with the Bianconis pizza, was camping out in Rosses Point this summer and they delivered right to the campsite, excellent pizza, was a fish pizza, cant remember the name or the ingredients.
    Worst is anything from Apache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

hmmm....have a lookie here or here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Used to get some great pizza's from the Independant Pizza Company in Drumcondra. Not sure if their still there but they were excellent. Love a calazoni pizza washed down with a nice bottle of red from the Pizzeria in Drogheda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Have to agree with the Bianconis pizza, was camping out in Rosses Point this summer and they delivered right to the campsite, excellent pizza, was a fish pizza, cant remember the name or the ingredients.
    Worst is anything from Apache.
    Oh man! Apache in Limerick is great! The Celtic Meal Deal was gorgeous - a 16" pizza, 4 toppings (usually double cajun chicken, pepperoni and jalapenos), garlic bread, wedges, 3 cans of coke AND delivered for only 16 yo-yos! Fantastic value and a damn good pizza too. Havent really tried them anywhere else though.

My favourite tasting pizza though is the Tandoori Hot from Dominos - Tandoori Chicken, Onions, Jalapenos and mushrooms (i think) - mmmmmm

*drool*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

Trigger! wrote:
    The worst was from a local of mine that aint open anymore were they put the [B]pepperoni [/B] underneath the cheese so it didnt cook properly and just tasted horrible!

pepperoni doesnt need to be cooked

my fave was from da vinci's in leixlip
    12 " pepperoni with extra cheese garlic oil and chilli oil yumy to the tummy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Yes it does in this case!Ive had raw pepperoni before and it was fine!something about it being heated for a while but not actually cooked makes it taste rotten!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

went into some resteraunt near the Cork Opera House a few years ago and had a pizza with extra cheese, pepperoni, ham, onions, red peppers

nicest thing ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

tiny little pizza shop in Rome near piazza popolo.. They did not speak a word of english, and i could not speak a word of Italian..but the yum yum sounds the same :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Dubrovnic in croatia - can't remember the name of the place but by far the best pepperoni pizza nothing has even come close since!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

In Chicago in the loop full on deep dish pizza, which is

base, then cheese, spicy sausage, pepperioni, then another layer of crust, then your pizza, in all it's magnificent glory.

It came in baby, small, medium and large, you could have fed the entire population of mullingar with the small pizza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

ding wrote:
    Used to get some great pizza's from the Independant Pizza Company in Drumcondra. Not sure if their still there but they were excellent. Love a calazoni pizza washed down with a nice bottle of red from the Pizzeria in Drogheda.

The one that used to be beside some like it hot is gone but its been done up and its on the corner beside the train station now. Its good but the pizzas are very small for the price and its a real classy place now.

Best pizza imo is beside it in apache in drumcondra. The single meal deal is wonderful. Ten quid for a 9" pizza with two toppings, garlic bread and a drink.

Best toppings i reckins are pepperoni and pineapple or pepperoni and chicken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

The quattro formaggi in Mario's pizzeria in Livigno, Italian alps. Dirt cheap as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Meat Feast in Pizza Hut. Ask for it with BBQ sauce (on the pizza). Trust me, you'll love it. Then again I love the BBQ pizza Domino's do too (I sense a theme).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Mossy Monk wrote:
    went into some resteraunt near the Cork Opera House a few years ago and had a pizza with extra cheese, pepperoni, ham, onions, red peppers

nicest thing ever

Luigi Malones? It's directly opposite the Opera House..
    You're all makin me hungry!!! :p
    What about Domino's?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I have a major weak spot for the Dominos Texas BBQ Pizza. My wallet has been trying to get me to quit for ages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Domino's Greek-feta cheese, normal cheese and roasted veg.
    mmmmmmmm...

I lurrve their spicy one with the jalopenos... yummmm :p

Of course you cant beat a Hot Apache!

I like food thats a challenge to eat! :D

Where is there Apache? :confused: but it sounds good :D

• Advertisement

There are a few apache pizza places around the country i reckon!

Its jalopeno's, pepperoni, peppers and onions!.....Tis hot but very good!Make sure you get a big drink with it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

all right im gonna let yez in on a secret... :cool:

any pizza at Ciao bella roma on Parliment street WITH one tomato bruschetta starter AND glass of wine
    €8.50 before 6pm
    nicest pizza in dublin :D , but dont all go there at the same time , youll drive the prices up or the quality down and then ill have to find and kill yez all ;)

Trigger! wrote:
    There are a few apache pizza places around the country i reckon!

Its jalopeno's, pepperoni, peppers and onions!.....Tis hot but very good!Make sure you get a big drink with it! :D

ohhhh sounds good will have to drop by sometime I think!!

Yeah it is good but ireally gotta try some other places!.....one of my reasons behind the purpose of this thread!hehe

Might give dominoes a bash if i can locate one that would deliver to me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Pizza's n Cream bray do a very very nice pizza..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Normally I would say the best pizza ever is Pizza Hut's Pepporoni lovers
    but I recently discoverd a new pizza at PapaJohn's
    The spinach alfredo chicken pizza, yum
    It has the white spinach alfredo sauce with chicken, cheese and tomato slices, I never had anything so mouth watering in way of a pizza :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

The nicest pizza i ever got was in a pizzeria off the main square in venice it was most delicious it had four cheeses spicy sausage peppers and the tastiest sauce ever also whilst eating my friend was messing with his pellet gun shot a round and hit a nun he know lives in fear of goin to hell

worst was mizzonis in bray i think it was puke toppings bloody filth it didnt even resembly a pizza

Brock

pizzas & cream bray :D (nice pizza , nice place)
    mizzones bray :eek: :mad: (horrific crap , stays open till 4am so as to make its money shortchanging drunkards)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Godfathers Pizza on Upper Leeson Street, fantastic pizzas! Mexican Hot and Spicy...... im drooling just thinking about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Posted this in another pizza thread too and apparently converted quite a few people, so I'll say it again:

Domino's Texas BBQ - when done properly - is the nicest pizza going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Ah a million thank yous again Noel. Along with a million curses. I'm hooked on it now. Every time I have one I say "last time..." but it never is. It's like the pizza version of Heroin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

stagolee wrote:
    pizzas & cream bray :D (nice pizza , nice place)
    mizzones bray :eek: :mad: (horrific crap , stays open till 4am so as to make its money shortchanging drunkards)

man, mizzones is the bomb they deliver to you at 3:30 in the morning.!!!!

3.30 AM

koneko wrote:
    Ah a million thank yous again Noel. Along with a million curses. I'm hooked on it now. Every time I have one I say "last time..." but it never is. It's like the pizza version of Heroin.

*Grins* Tell me about it! I used to work there - for about three months it became my staple food... I'm still stunned that I never put on any weight during that period.

Even though I have to pay for it now generally, I still manage to have one every two weeks. It is my heroin :)!

Perhaps someday we'll both get over it - but until then, we might as well enjoy it! I heard it through the grapevine that Domino's has a new BBQ variety coming soon - keep your eyes open!

(Oh and you're more than welcome :)!)

man, mizzones is the bomb they deliver to you at 3:30 in the morning.!!!!

3.30 AM

ah well each to their own i suppose , i thought they were edible untill i tasted one while sober(well not too drunk to taste stuff) suppose id probably still buy one if i found myself twisted drunk and hungry in bray at 3:30am, but id regret it if i remembered the next morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

hey trigg can you think of anywhere that does pizza near by?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Best Pizza, most Pizza Huts.. the Meat Feast.

Worst any one from Domino's.

"Worst = Domino's"

That, sir, is blasphemy!

...A lot of new places for me to try there - I spotted this 'godfather's' place on the way home last night, I'll have to look into it. Same applies to Ciao Bella Roma.

Thanks for all the tips - keep 'em coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

fintan wrote:
    Godfathers Pizza on Upper Leeson Street, fantastic pizzas! Mexican Hot and Spicy...... im drooling just thinking about it!

Mmmm one of them opening in Rathgar villiage shortly..thanks for the tip, going to check them out now for sure :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

NoelRock wrote:
    "Worst = Domino's"

That, sir, is blasphemy!

...A lot of new places for me to try there - I spotted this 'godfather's' place on the way home last night, I'll have to look into it. Same applies to Ciao Bella Roma.

Thanks for all the tips - keep 'em coming!

I worked in a branch of Domino's for a short period of time... i know what im talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

My Mammy makes the nicest Pizzas.

But If I can't have Mammy pizza Chew and Chat in Ranelagh do a lunch deal where you get a garlic bread starter, a decent sized pizza with two toppings and a drink all for 7.50. Their pizzas are YUMMERLICIOUS!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

God fathers do gorgeous pizza's! As do Chew and Chat in ranelagh..........well said gummybearz ;) . Worst pizza's are domino's pizza's, they are horrible :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

the best i ever had was ages ago in ginos in waterford , twas ham and peppers and twas yummy , the worst i ever had was in pizza hut in alton towers , twas stink boy worst pizza i ever had!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Must agree with Basquille and blub2K4 the pizzas in Bistro Biaconi in Sligo are incredible. My own personal favourite is the caramelised onion and pesto. I miss them so much since I moved to Ballina :( (and no, they won't deliver 38 miles).

Optikus wrote:
    I worked in a branch of Domino's for a short period of time... i know what im talking about.

So did I...* *baffled* I even worked in stock ordering and delivery - everything they buy and sell is fresh.

*- If six months is considered a short period. Sometimes it felt like the longest period of my life ;).

It the cheapest ingredients ever.. and they are selling at outragous prices, i know it supposed to be fresh but alot of them might order too much and do you think they throw out the stock when it reachs best before date date, they don't. Also they hire spotty little teenagers to make the things, you think they give a crap abput pizza's. Not one of the irish branchs i've visited are able to even slap and top a pizza to proper domino's regulations. They are always making mistakes aswell just the other day i had a pizza from them and it was crap, they must have forgot to put the pepperoni on it, put the pepperoni back into the oven on one of the trays they use for the garlic breads, and placed them back on the pizza. When it arrived not one bit of pepperoni was on the pizza as it was cooked before the pepperoni and did not melt with the cheese. Over priced crap IMO, anyone one who thinks they are nice and great value needs their heads checked.

Okay so - what I've done here is explained to you that I worked, up until two months ago in Domino's, and what you've done is tell me what Domino's do - even though I'm totally aware of it.

*Thumbs up* Good start.

Secondly, yes, Domino's *do* dispose of their dough and other products on the sell-by date, as the entire process is automated - if they don't sell enough pizzas to use said stock, Head Office will be aware of this and will know that the particular branch are using out of date ingredients - two branches in Ireland have lost their franchisee rights as a result of this to date.

Secondly, Domino's slapping and topping standards are verified regularly by a team of testers (generally from the U.K., occasionally Canada) who visit every branch on a random basis (from my experience roughly every two months) and assess the standards. As you should know, they work to a system of the 'ten point pizza' - I can't speak for every branch, but I know that two of the three in my area (Drumcondra, Glasnevin - not Cabra) - obtained the ten, with the latter obtaining nine out of ten.

Overpriced? Yes. Quite possibly.

The ingredients cheap? Well - that's debatable. The ingredients cost roughly €3 for a small and €5.50 for a large. In addition to that, there are labour costs and other overheads such as rent, electricity, security, marketing to be factored in. Everything costs money - you aren't *just* paying for the ingredients.

As for you rambling rant - well, that's just it, a rambling rant. Maybe they decided to give a bad pizza to a disgruntled ex-employee? After all, they are only 'spotty little teenagers' apparently (cheers for the generalisation, us sixteen year olds *love* being called spotty little teenagers).

I fully aware of the ten point system, and its never enforced, nor is the team of testers who you claim visit every two months.. that is a complete joke i worked in the UK for over six months for Domino's and never seen that happen once, i also have a friend who is a store manager here in ireland and he has never once been visited by the tester. I know for a fact that not all data is recorded properly as it supposed to be and therefore there is loads of stores getting away with selling out of date stock, albeit only by a few days, but out of date none the less. Yes it is over priced. And as for the ingriedients the pepperoni has to be the worst ever, full of fat and tastes rotten. And if your suggesting that i got a pizza cooked incorectly because i was a disgruntled employee, you can guess again as i never worked in any irish branch. It was just the sheer incompetence of the cheap staff domono's are legendry for hiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

*also worked in domino's* although i'm not happy with them i must confirm Noel is right they always disposed of unused stock.

If they deliver on time they are the best "delivered" pizzas, however the branch I was in cut corners by hiring too little drivers, meaning your pizza is gone all horrible by the time you get it.

They also cut corners by giving miniscule amounts of wedges etc, and the biggest pizza they make is a 13 and a half inch. The price they charge for it however would still remain a rip off for a 16 inch.

It being a franchise means every branch will prob be doing different prices, as I recall Glasnevin were much better value than Drumcondra.

By the way in my place they kept the Chinese on pizza making and the greasy teenagers on the phones!

On topic I had a bloody gorgeous pizza(and lady haha) in Independant in Drumcondra on Saturday

That just not on when you pay that kinda price for a pizza and its ruined when you get it.. perhaps not all branchs are up to the same thing, but i know enough stories that would put you right off domino's. I prefer proper home made italian pizza's myself, where the staff put a bit of effort into making them. Not some rushed job by someone who just wants to finnish there shift and get home.

Bang on bottle of smoke - was quite taken aback by the difference in price in Drumcondra when I ordered. Something like a euro in the garlic bread, 2 euro in the pizza...things like that. It all added up.

Yeah - the points you raise are all valid too actually - there aren't enough drivers, and the system for delivering isn't efficient enough IMO - it could be made better.

The wedges - oh christ, there was an incident one time where my manager actually took out a portion of my wedges and *weighed* them to ensure I wasn't going under or over their recommended limits. I was stunned (and I was within the limits! Woo!).

...Man, how many people on boards worked in Domino's?

• Advertisement
Advertisement