Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EsatBT 3 Month Free Trial - Cap?

• 29-10-2004 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big P

Hey,

I got EsatBT's 3 month free trial a week ago, and since then my usage is as follows:
    Data uploaded 1.86 GB [1991865105 bytes]
    Data downloaded 8.32 GB [8932118772 bytes]
    So, I've gone slightly over the 8 gig cap, in ONE WEEK!! Thing is however, that they mention nothing about the cap for the 3 month free trial. so I just want to be doubley sure that I wont be charged for going over? Cause so far thats an extra €60 if I am!
    I have checked the terms and conditions and everything relates to "ABSOLUTELY FREE", "NO STRINGS ATTACHED" and whatnot so I seem to be okay, but I'd like to know if anyone else has done similar?

Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

No you won't be charged.

I went over the cap by 10gb's when I was on the trial each month and I wasn't charged. Download away and you should be fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Thats cool that they let u away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big P

excellent! :) I want to see what can be done during the trial period and calm down later! ;)

LOL, i dont think they will like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

I should inform you that if you go over your cap on the second month after going over it in teh first month, then your username and pass will be rejected.

• Advertisement

Diabolus wrote:
    I should inform you that if you go over your cap on the second month after going over it in teh first month, then your username and pass will be rejected.
    That's strange. And where is that stated? I'll probably get everything I need this month anyway.

I Have seen people go to 26 gigs in one month and the usage calculator on the site says they went over the limit.

As far as i know the Free trial is a trial of the IOLBB package.
    That carries with it a cap as that is the service provided.

Afterwards a customer can decide if they want the Plus option with the 16 gig cap.

I could be wrong but thats my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

managed to stay within my cap for the first 2 months of my trial.
    now that the third month is nearly up, and i'm on 15.4gb already, i think i'll see how much damage i can do before 11:59pm on sunday :D

(i'm staying with esat after the trial btw)

Go for it TMAN!! :p
    Clock up the milage!

Diabolus wrote:
    I Have seen people go to 26 gigs in one month and the usage calculator on the site says they went over the limit.

As far as i know the Free trial is a trial of the IOLBB package.
    That carries with it a cap as that is the service provided.

Actually a friend of mine has chosen the IOLBB Plus service for his free trial, which must mean oncet he trial is up he will have a 16gig cap compared to a 8gig cap. I cant see any problems in changing from one to another however.

Still I have checked the user agreements, site documentation etc. and I have found nothing about a cap in relation to the free trial. Plus, I'm fairly sure a FREE TRIAL means what it says. Like the FREE WEBCAM. If someone does take the piss however, they could contact them to inform them of this during the trial and state to "calm down" or whatever.

We'll have to see I guess.

• Advertisement

The "Free Trial" is a Free Trial of our Broadband.
    This carries with it a Standard Cap.
    But i cannot be quoted on it.

tman wrote:
    managed to stay within my cap for the first 2 months of my trial.
    now that the third month is nearly up, and i'm on 15.4gb already, i think i'll see how much damage i can do before 11:59pm on sunday :D

(i'm staying with esat after the trial btw)
    Keep those torrents coming my friend

Diabolus wrote:
    The "Free Trial" is a Free Trial of our Broadband.
    This carries with it a Standard Cap.
    But i cannot be quoted on it.
    heh, I just did :P

Well, if its not stated in the terms then it really wouldnt hold up much. I guess they could just kick me from their service for abuse or something like that (even tho its not that bad!) but I dont believe I could be charged.

Ahh, stupid bittorrent making me love broadband, just a little too much!!

Its all good :p

Diabolus wrote:
    Its all good :p
    Thank you please kind Esat guy!

Crikey I'm around 6.8 GB downloaded and .5 uploaded and have been delaying big downloads until next week to prevent going over the cap!

I'm on the trial but I expected that since you gave them a credit card to signup they would charge for going over the cap to this....

Jesus someone used 26gb in one month!! Now I'm peeved.....there absolutely has to be a cap for the trial....I agree with Diabolus. Its a trial of the service and the service is capped....

I'm on the trial but I expected that since you gave them a credit card to signup they would charge for going over the cap to this....
    I was told by EsatBT tech guy that the reason he wanted my credit card number was *purely* because when the 3 month trial is over I will automatically be switched to their service. He told me there would be no other use of it.

So as I have said, if I do get charged I'll throw it down to their stupidity of their support staff for not telling me and their site and documentation for not including any information on the cap and the 3 month free trial.

"Idiom:
    for free Informal

Without charge."
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I can hit 20GB without ever being charged or kicked off....26Gb you say, eh? :D Oh well I may aswell make use of that new HDD I bought from Lidl ;) I'm on the 16Gb package by the way.

When u go on the paying service they will monitor your usage and ring you if you break ur cap. There is asmall lee-way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I must say, IOL have really tightened up there act. I got off the phone with a very helpful lady just there who explained the whole situation with going over the cap. The reason they disable your account for the month for going over it is actually to protect you from running up a huge bill. If the boot was on the other foot and you were with Eircom, they wouldn't think twice about lumping you €300 odd bill. Had my doubts about IOL at first but based on my experience, I'd whole-heartedly recommend them.

Oh yea, it seems that the free trial really is all you can eat. Makes me regret not downloading more :confused:

• Advertisement

Oh yea, it seems that the free trial really is all you can eat. Makes me regret not downloading more :confused:

OOOk... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Im on the free trial at the mo. So you all think we can download to our hearts content???

Personally i think you should stick to the cap.
    Abusing the cap wrecks the service. Thats why its there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Another question about the cap guys.....

From when is it measured? I mean is it just simply each month of the calender (October, November, etc) or does it depend on when you signed up and started using your account? (I just noticed my usage has been reset for the month of Nov.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

Just finished the free trail with IOL..actually on the 12 of this month and still on...how long do you have before they want to modem back? or they disconnect? anything in the rules about this?...

1. The Cap is from the start of the month to the end.

2. If you cancelled the service after using the trial you have 14 days to return
    the modem by registered post. I reccommend you ring 1890 923 111 and get the
    details. If you fail to return it within the time they will charge u for the modem.
    U also need a return number off them so call them.

3. It doesnt sound like u cancelled at all as ur still on. Usually u get dissed immediately and get told the return address. DId you call up and cancel it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 scriv

They do say "no strings attached". I for one am pretty pissed off that I have to go to the bother of posting this hunk of crap. If it were no strings attached, they'd pick it up themselves...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

> If it were no strings attached, they'd pick it up themselves...

The cheek of them. And I want a pony too.

:rolleyes:

animaal wrote:
    > If it were no strings attached, they'd pick it up themselves...

The cheek of them. And I want a pony too.

:rolleyes:

Agreed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

Diabolus wrote:
    1. The Cap is from the start of the month to the end.

2. If you cancelled the service after using the trial you have 14 days to return
    the modem by registered post. I reccommend you ring 1890 923 111 and get the
    details. If you fail to return it within the time they will charge u for the modem.
    U also need a return number off them so call them.

3. It doesnt sound like u cancelled at all as ur still on. Usually u get dissed immediately and get told the return address. DId you call up and cancel it?

I mailed them and cancelled and they gave me an adress for the modem but just been to lazy. All the e-mail said was the service will be cancelled and please return your modem. no number etc.

Just rang them and 'its in the process of being cancelled'...as I'm not going with a competitor they dont care.

Advertisement