Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoothing a PNG in Photoshop 7? Anti-aliase?

• 29-10-2004 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

Been working on a table Air Hockey project.

Drew the table in MS Paint and then realised i had to get rid of the white background to make it transparent (apart from the top of the table which will stay white for the moment). So i removed the background but got rough egdges on the table's edges - you'll see what i mean when you open it below!

I was chatting to my project supervisor about it and he mentioned anti-aliasing in PhotoShop but wasn't sure if Photoshop could do it himself.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to smooth out the table's edges? It's attached below!

Many thanks in advance, for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

That's gonna be fairly impossible to make look right. You'd be better off doing it from scratch in Photoshop.

If you have even a basic understanding of PS, it'd only take you a few mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Yeah it is possible to repair it but you could learn photoshop twice over in the time it would take.

Just do it again in PS its GREAT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

You both serious?

I know the table looks fairly crap but took me ages to draw that in MS Paint! :)

Will give the re-drawing a go and post a result up here.... more than likely in a couple of hours! :)

Wanna know all the experience i have at Photoshop?.... an hour long tutorial of it last week!

Anyways, thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

If you have a vector-based program like Fireworks or even Flash it would be even easier :]

I'm afraid the idea of redrawing it in Photoshop was too daunting - attempted it but couldn't do it!

So i made a compromise - i picked a line tool (made it's weight 2) and picked it the same colour as the table borders and painted a line along the rough edges.

I then copied the half of the table i'd done and copied it. I rotated it so i could just cover the opposite side.

I think the result isn't too bad. Apart from the lines and shading around the table which is just due to the shadows i applied before i carried out the changes.

Whatcha think?

• Advertisement

yeah that looks good

but learn photoshop!

Stop using MS paint its very limited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I concur. I use MS Paint, and it's SO awkward and crappy. But I'm too broke to get better software :-(

tba wrote:
    yeah that looks good

but learn photoshop!

Stop using MS paint its very limited
    I want to learn Photoshop but it's not really an element of my course besides using it graphics for Projects both this year and next year.

I find the online tutorials for it pretty daunting!

We only had one tutorial on it in college a week back for an hour. And that was mainly focusing on text, blending options and ActionKits.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Tutorials are for pussies :) .

Learn by trial and error, best way IMO.
    Oh, also, you need to have to use it for it to be easy to learn. I learned how to use PSP simply because I wanted to be able to make cool looking signature pics like the one's I'd seen on other forums.

yeah go to www.worth100.com too. A bit of competition really makes ya learn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement