Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Checks how often do you see them?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@robbie1876 - I think that in the UK you can ask for the calibration cert but here AFAIK you have to accept the garda's word that it works fine!
    @narommy - I think on motorways they take photos - don't think they are there as a deterrent as if they were then surely they would not be hiding! However, I think Chief was suggesting thet they don't pull you over on a motorway due to the dangers involved for them, you and other road users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin_apache

Here's a mad weird idea that might deter or fright'n the bejasus out of speeding motorists !

Ok here it goes :confused: ...

How about randomly putting up those fluorescent jackets that the guards wear, on the M50/M1 etc at the side of the road (hard shoulder side), so when the speeding motorist(s) sees this thing that they think is a guard :eek: they will slow down ! And say once a week change these fluorescent jacket figures ( ;) ) to different areas of the motorways ?

Then the speeding motorist(s) might say to them selfs the next time they feel like speeding "Jasus that thing the other day scared the s*it out of me, I better not speed incase it's a real guard this time"

Well is it a plausible idea or am I just totally nuts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

They are occasionaly on the M1 between Swords and Balbriggan. They seem to let anything below 85mph by without stopping them. They let the cars with yellow registrations by at any speed. Too much hastle I presume.

I was in my girl friends dads car a few nights ago, and we got pulled over at 120 mph. He just showed his garda badge and we were waved on.

Praetorian wrote:
    He just showed his garda badge and we were waved on.

WOW I must get one of those ! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

robbie1876 wrote:
    Someone told me once that they can't operate in the rain because of the refraction from the rain drops or some such malarky. Kind of makes sense for laser guns i guess, the rain has got to have an effect on a beam of light. Can anyone confirm of deny this?

Have heard this theory before, there are also other factors can prevent the radar from functioning properly...causes a rebound bounce-back effect, can't remember where to find the info on this though.
    robbie1876 wrote:
    The same person (bloke in a pub type) also said the guns have to be calibrated every 6 months, and you are entitled to ask to see the calibration certificate if you are pulled over. If they can't prove that the gun has been calibrated within the last 6 months they can't charge. This sounds iffy to me, but again, anyone got any specific knowledge on it?

I was also told this about the calibration, it is appearantly the manufacturers recommendation & therefore could cause problems with any speeding charges sticking in court if not followed properly...same with any equipment.

What's more worrying is I've personally heard the guards (on a scanner - yes I know it's not necessarily legal) checking the setting (when they should be re-calibrating) by asking another squad car to maintain 60mph past the spot where they are setting up a check...underhand tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Well is it a plausible idea or am I just totally nuts ?
    It's kind of along the same lines as what they do on the M25 in London. You know when you pass a fixed camera and there are those painted white lines on the road? Well every 1km or so on certain sections of the M25 they have those lines painted. They are so frequent you don't even have time to look for a camera box (most of which on the M25 are fake anyway), so you just don't risk it and take it easy.

The only danger with detterrants like fake cameras and garda jackets etc is that you risk people spotting them at the last minute and jamming on, which in rush hour traffic could be catastrophic if traffic behind is too close.

robbie1876 wrote:
    The only danger with detterrants like fake cameras and garda jackets etc is that you risk people spotting them at the last minute and jamming on, which in rush hour traffic could be catastrophic if traffic behind is too close.

True, but I was thinking that if they where visible to the driver for about a half mile or so ... I think if they where put up on the far side of a bend would be very stupid and dangerous.

I think if there was some sort of a visible thing it would make ppl think twice.

• Site Banned Posts: 105 ✭✭dark_knight_ire

Why you dont see the checks when its foggy or raining is as was pointed out the gardai cant be seen as good as clear conditions increased danger of us getting creamed.

It nearly happened to me and this was a clear day, out doing a check point, yellow jacet on the patrol car had the flashers going and i was out with my hand up stopping people. Saw a guy in a transit coming and damn he was moving he was getting closer and i thought "his going to have to brake hard to stop" then the realisation "oh sh**" and had to jump for cover. When we stopped him he was a drunk as could be and just never saw us

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

When we stopped him he was a drunk as could be and just never saw us
    and then he flashed his badge and youse let him go :D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

What's the problem anyway in the shortage of guards, is it that ppl don't want to become a guard or does the government just not employ/train enough ppl to become guards ?

It's hard to reduce taxes and increase the force at the same time I suppose..

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    and then he flashed his badge and youse let him go :D

I like that comment ! ;)

:eek: :) I saw one !!!

Yeah I saw one today at about 4/4.30pm on my back from town (Dub), I was turning right from Cypress Grove (Kimmage) on to the N81 head'd for Tallaght, the guard was a traffic cop i'd guess as he was on a bike... he was about a 1/4 mile up the road in the hard shoulder just as you drive into the 40mph zone...

And no I wasn't speed'n :cool: .....

Advertisement