Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can't move icons, programs don't appear on taskbar!

• 29-10-2004 6:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

hey!

yesterday, I shut down my laptop, today restart it!

now I can't move any icons! when i run a program it doesn't appear on taskbar! and copy/paste doesn't work either!

I haven't changed anything!

I upgraded to sp2 recently but after that I restarted many times and it was fine!

I installed k-lite codec pack full, but I don't think that has anything to do with it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

if you are running xp, do a roll-back/system restore to last night, or the closest time possible.. usually does the trick for me..

uninstall the codec pack as well to see if that helps... if its the only thing you've changed then its more than likely the source of your problem

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Hee, change your wallpaper....

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Meadows

when ever windows xp goes a bit crazy because of some rubbish i install i do a system restore. start/allprograms/accessories/systemtools/systemrestore, and then bring it back in time. If no luck try doing it in system restore in safe mode. A simple fix if ever there was one. By the way SP2 dosnt like being installed on old battered versions of windows xp, so it may be a good idea to wipe and reinstall and then straight away install sp2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I have it turned off! :(

feylya, no it's not that wallpaper trick :)

I can't even copy texts from the browser! :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Ah ok. That's the first thing I thought of tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Could it be a virus? I saw a nasty one a while back that broke a PC like that.

I found on google, one dude had the same problems, and it turned out it was an AV,

I tried to uninstall my kaspersky, but it doesn't work! :(

so that must be it!

gonna manual uninstall it!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Meadows

CyberGhost wrote:
    I have it turned off! :(
    :(

sillllllllllllllllllllllllllllly!! ;)

i used to turn it off aswell thinking that system restore was a useless utility that took up space, resources, wasnt for me and rarely worked. and was i ever wrong. It sorts out everything, programs gone crazy, virsus, spyware and more or less any software problem one could encounter.

but anyway...
    enough about system restore.
    If i were you i would format and reinstall windows (the given answer that you didnt want to hear, but what did avg antivirus have to say about the whole thing).
    and dont dare turn off system restore :D

Meadows wrote:
    sillllllllllllllllllllllllllllly!! ;)

i used to turn it off aswell thinking that system restore was a useless utility that took up space, resources, wasnt for me and rarely worked. and was i ever wrong. It sorts out everything, programs gone crazy, virsus, spyware and more or less any software problem one could encounter.

but anyway...
    enough about system restore.
    If i were you i would format and reinstall windows (the given answer that you didnt want to hear, but what did avg antivirus have to say about the whole thing).
    and dont dare turn off system restore :D

yep! I will turn it on from now on!

I fixed the problem, it was caused by antivirus, and harddrive permissions!

thank god, I didn't format and reinstall like i usually do ;)

Advertisement