Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Questions

• 29-10-2004 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve just applied for the 2 free month trial with eircom broadband and received my wireless router today.

I haven’t got a wireless PCMCIA card yet but trying to source one cheaply soon.

I’m not up on the broadband scene, but I’m told I will need various other applications on my PC to secure the connection such as a firewall.

Can anybody give me some guidance as to what I need and where I could get them?

I’ll be initially using the broadband with my laptop but will eventually get a wireless card for my desktop.

All I know about broadband is that the connection is fast and it’s always on.

So if I switch off either my laptop or PC at any stage, does this mean the connection is broken or is it the router that remains connected all the time?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

The router remains connected.
    Its ok to turn ur pc off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

The router remains connected.

Is it ok to switch off your router?....or should it ALWAYS be left on?

Its fine to turn it off.
    But once u power it on it may take up to 2 mins to get the signal again.
    Leave it on and power it off when u dont use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

thanks Diabolus

Another Satisfied customer :p

NO problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

It would be recomended to have a firewall to.
    I use norton internet security, so far it seems to be doing ok block on or 2 intrusions caught out some viri.
    Other may prefer a different firewall but i think this works just fine and in pc world its on special offer (i think it was anyway).
    Zone alarm is another and is available for free on-line but you have to pay for the full version.
    Thats about all i can tell you, surely there are other with more knowledge

Jozi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Any half decent router comes with a built in firewall. Thats what i'd recommend.

If you really want a software one, i'd go for something free, to supplement the routers one. But i wouldn't considar that neccessary. Kerio Personal Firewall, Zonealarm (i don't recommend that one), Black Ice Defender are the big ones i can think of that are free.

I agree with Kerio.
    I use that on 4 PC's at home and its wonderful.
    Never had an intrusion.
    Also add AVG 6 to the equation and u got virus free PC's.

Last thing is to prevent spyware.
    So use FIREFOX !

Advertisement