Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to Dubai

• 29-10-2004 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all..

Im thinkin of movin to Dubai next year at some stage. Ive just started checking out jobs, how much it is to live there etc. Im a sub teacher here for the past year so that might be something I could do.

Has anyone here ever lived in Dubai or have any experience of the place?
    Cheers,
    T.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Search this forum for a previous thread on this topic with plenty of (tourist) details.

Edit: http://muppet.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=179329&highlight=dubai
    http://muppet.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=93140&highlight=dubai
    plus a few more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Thanks a lot Bri.. Lots of stuff there worth lookin at. The job end of things is the bit Id really like info on if anyone has any experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

No problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Trotter are you fussy about what sort of work are you looking for?My mate runs a bar out there,and could possibly get you a job,its an amazing place,but before you go you should really have a job sorted,plus there can be quite a lot of red tape,your prospective employer has to sponsor you,and its usually for a minimum of 6/12 months so even if you dont particulary like your job you`ll probably need to stick it out,or leave Dubai as AFAIK you cant really change jobs over there like you can here,having said all of that the lifestlye there cannt be beaten,year round sunshine,thousands of stunning trolly dollys from Emirates,etc,etc,a super place,let me know if you want any more info....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Cheers Jonny, Hopefully myself and my girlfriend along with 2 mates are gonna go. They are all in the banking area so will probably try for something like that. Im going to go for something along the lines of computers or teaching. But... if we cant get jobs like that then anything goes. Whats the name of the bar? We might be going for a week early next year just to have a look around. PM me if theres any other stuff or advice you or your mate might have. Thanks a lot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Its called The Dubliners its part of the Le Meridien Hotel,its the best Irish bar in Dubai,the Irish Village is a lot bigger but lacks the character the Dubliners has,plus theres a chance you might bump into someone famous there,my mate has had various famous sporting and music people in for a drink and some food..as regards jobs,well you shouldnt have much trouble getting one if you have any sort of experience in Computers/Office work and you can expect to earn considerably more than you will ever earn in this damn rip off country,check out this website its Canadian based i think,there is an initial fee but when you look at your potential earnings its peanuts really,http://www.jobsindubai.com/ if you need any more info let me know........ ;)
    Trotter wrote:
    Cheers Jonny, Hopefully myself and my girlfriend along with 2 mates are gonna go. They are all in the banking area so will probably try for something like that. Im going to go for something along the lines of computers or teaching. But... if we cant get jobs like that then anything goes. Whats the name of the bar? We might be going for a week early next year just to have a look around. PM me if theres any other stuff or advice you or your mate might have. Thanks a lot!

Advertisement