Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tommy tiernan on the late late, what is blasphemy these days ?

• 29-10-2004 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

did anyone see Tommy Tiernan on the late late last week, some people were writing letters to the times about it and bishops are calling it blasphamey

what is blasphemy these days, I presume the direct definition is taking the loads name in vain and saying bad stuff about the church/god.. but surely the line in the sand has change over the years...

it was funny though, Pat Kenny said "So last time you came on here you got in trouble over what you said about the church?" which led to ten minutes of
    him taking the piss out of the church full throttle the african missionaries stuff was hilarious :)

a lot of them said the late late is a family show, is it?

its starts 9:30

im sure the same people writing these letters woud havve shuued there children away when gay was talking about sex abortion or divorce in the olden days...

_if_ the late late is a family show then it was very full on :/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The Late Late is a chat show, if it wasa family show it would be on in place of Seventh Heaven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

It was first class entertainment and absolutly hilarious!
    This country need to come out of the stone age and have a sense of humour!
    If we cant laugh at ourselves how can you laugh at anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

yeah thats what i thought !

did anyone see yerman on the john daly show he just went off on one for 20 mins he's totally insane, they played more of it tonight... it was funny seeing yerman neary fall off his (shiny) chair with laughter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Hashbrown

Don't find Tommy Tiernan funny at all to be honest but thats just me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Bryan McFatChops singing on the late late show, thats blasphemy proper. Lord jaysus!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

So there's this chicken, right?
    And he's about to cross the F()CKING ROAD!
    AND THEN A HUUUUUUUUGE TRUUUUCK GOESSSS VROOOOOM!!!!
    AND SPLATS the chicken..
    and He's DEAD!!!!! in the GROUND!!! from the TRUCK!!!!!!

(laughter)

<</tommy tiernan>>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

Yeah igy that exactly it. How anyone thinks that guy is funny is beyond me.
    But I suppose different strokes different folks etc etc…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Its all about the delivery i reckon!
    And did ye watch the late late ?
    Did ya even giggle a little?

Its all about the delivery i reckon!
    And did ye watch the late late ?
    Did ya even giggle a little?

Yes and No.. not even a smile. Only good thing made me go out to the pub for a pint. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

brilliant on the late late. pity twas taken from his -Cracked- dvd :( was thinking it was new ****.

imo, funniest man in ireland. very good.

"and who was in the tree only zebedee...the tax collecting ****"!! rofl

• Advertisement

he does shout a bit much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

what is blasphemy these days ?

Pat Kenny still in a job and earning as much as he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I thought Tommy started off really politely (he didn't want a repeat performance of his previous appearance). So there was no blasphemy and no cursing.

Then Pat showed a clip of Cracked, with Tommy doing a blasphemous sketch and swearing. After the clip, it was like a lightbulb went on in Tommys head and he thought "Jesus.... I can blaspheme, and I can curse!"

So he did.

I thought it was hilarious. I'd love to know how many complaints the Late Late got after that show. Is there any way to find out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Winters wrote:
    Heh, very true.

What exactly was said? I saw the furore that ensued in the Irish Times (letters to the editor page), it sounded like only religious old farts were offended tbh.

It's about time someone took the piss out of the religious orders, and pulled their haloes down. It's not like they don't deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin_apache

Hashbrown wrote:
    Don't find Tommy Tiernan funny at all to be honest but thats just me!

Mate here's your brother, I just don't think the guy is funny :eek: ...

I love my comedy but when it comes to Tommy Tiernan I either don't get it or he's not that funny, but that's me.

I got his DVD of a mate to watch a few weeks ago and I think I laughed twice :confused: .

Sorry Tommy :confused: !

First I am not a religious person ok, but I think its wrong to slag off other peoples believes or religion.
    Now maybe if the bold Tommy Tiernan went of to say … Iraq and slagged of Islam on al-jazeera TV. And then got himself captured by the lads with the swords…
    Now that would be funny..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

honestly, I'd laugh harder if *you* were captured

Tommy tiernan is bloody hilarious imo, but I didn't see this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I don't seem to remember him insulting religion in any real way on that piece. Perhaps he poked fun at the institutions, but not at any system of beliefs. Not a hint of blasphemy, as I understand the term.

And he was, for the most part, right. It IS an interesting turn for the most devout priests in the country to have come from the places Irish missionaries set out to, to to save the "shameless heathens".

Anyone who would be offended by his piece missed the point, I should think.

Aside: Is it me or is Tommy Tiernan turning into a Bill Hicks-esque sort of social commentator?

and just like the blacks in the jacks it was spot on (although not as funny)

all he did was say some true things about the church, a few weeks ago the Bishops said that people were using child abuse as an easy excuse to slack off from the church and it was infact there materislitc morals that they were more interested in, that may be true but most irish people still believe in god so it must the _church_ that they have the problem with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Winters wrote:

more than you you I take it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Bryan McFatChops singing on the late late show, thats blasphemy proper. Lord jaysus!!
    No - using the story of his marriage break-up and how he is now a weekend dad to two young kids to bump up the sales of his latest single - now that's a real blasphemy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

more than you you I take it ;)

Probably more then anyone on these here boards.

Advertisement