Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork 4???

• 29-10-2004 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

I recently received letters from An Post reminding me that nobody living in my apartment has a TV licence.

What interested me was the fact that it was addressed to

The Occupier,
    XX XXXXXX XXX,
    Cork 4

Was the "Cork 4" a typo or are An Post trying to phase in post codes a la Dublin 4???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

emmmm?? isnt Dublin 4 supposed to be the "posh" part of Dublin? Does that mean that your living in Roachestown or Crosshaven??? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

Unfortunately not! I'm living near Victoria Cross... which is fast turning into Cork's "student quarter." In the future I wouldn't mind living in Crosshaven though...

I think Montenotti might be closer to a Cork equivalent of D4 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I think Montenotti might be closer to a Cork equivalent of D4 :)

Actually in Dublin, all southside numbers are even and all northside numbers are odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Cork does have post codes, like Dublin has. Cork 1, Cork 2, Cork 3 and Cork 4.

But no one uses them. They've been around for donkeys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

There might be some information on the ComReg website about that - www.comreg.ie

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

A lot of the street/estate signs have the postcode on them. They were around long before I ever came to Cork - but there is talk that they are being brought in for real use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

theres cork 4 signs in bishopstown

So I do live in Cork 4 then? :confused:

Who knew? Interesting. Who else knows their Cork postcode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Danni

gubby wrote:
    Does that mean that your living in Roachestown or Crosshaven??? :rolleyes:

Crosshaven.. Posh?? Are you taking the pi$$!! I live very close to it and its certainly not po$$ like people make out. It's after turning into a dive of a place, full of trouble..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

so sorry. my mistake, I thought it was all "boaty" people down there. Was done there for the cork thinky during the summer...
    and of course there is the refrence in the langer song
    "certainly not in Crosshaven"
    Do you mean there are ordainry folk there too
    :rolleyes: :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

So out of interest, now that thats cleared up, will you be paying the tv licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

I got the same letter. How can they prove I have a tv set in the house ? Don't they need to search the house with a warrant to prove this ? I don't want to pay for the crap RTE service.

comet wrote:
    So out of interest, now that thats cleared up, will you be paying the tv licence?

No. We're two students sharing a flat for college and both our parents have TV licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

No. We're two students sharing a flat for college and both our parents have TV licences.

I don't think that cuts the ice. If your parents have a license at home, that covers the TVs at home, not the one in your flat.

Of course my legal qualifications are not officially recognized in this country, so don't quote me in court :)

But who's to say there is a television in our flat? And if there is, do we watch it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

One requires a TV license for the building which the TV is in... Doesnt matter if the TV actually receives TV signals or is just used for watching DVDs or VHS tapes. Get a license quicksmart or the next time the inspector calls around he wont be so nice.

We had one around here about 5 months after we moved in asking for our license, I said we didnt have it and he said I had 4 weeks to get one. The fine is fairly hefty if I remember correctly. Remember, if you go to court because you dont have a TV license, no girl will ever come back to your place and do the nasty with you ever again. It said so on the telly...

Well thank **** for that because I'm gay and sick of girls trying to bed me.

Inspector would have to prove the existence of a TV set. Good look to them... I'm in the back of a secure apartment complex and on the third floor ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well thank **** for that because I'm gay

According to the ads, that's because your mother never paid her TV licence, it's all her fault.

That's it, I'm suing the bitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭ash_kay

does anyone know if there is some sort of loophole where they cannot proceed with 'action' unless they have a name of one of the individuals living at the address?

i wouldn't suggest it as a course of action but it reminds me of a friend who found herself in a ridiculous situation with a supposed licence inspector resorting to pathetic pranks in order to obtain the name of one of the residents (one of which involved him calling the intercom in the apartment saying that he was delivering a parcel to that address but name on the parcel was unreadable. he said that if she told him the names of the people living there he would be able to figure out who it was for!) she told him where to go (!) but moved out soon afterwards and never found out what happened in the end.

i always found this very strange because you would expect that an post would have access to this sort of information

also, i received one of the letters to 'the occupier' soon after i signed up with a cable company. that was a few years ago but could it be that they are legally obliged to provide a list of addresses connected but not customer names?.....
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I don't think they need your names at all. Even if the TV isn't yours, or you just moved in and the person living there previously was the one who hadn't paid their TV licence, then you still have to pay it. Whoever's unlucky enough to answer the door gets screwed basically, why don't you invite some friends over? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Danni wrote:
    Crosshaven.. Posh?? Are you taking the pi$$!! I live very close to it and its certainly not po$$ like people make out. It's after turning into a dive of a place, full of trouble..

Sort of, by Centra and the "merrys" but at least it isint a whole like Carrigaline which is full of identical new cr*p rip-off identical semi-detached houses with red roofs and one car driveways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

...it was addressed to

The Occupier,

you should have destroyed the letter.

Letters not addressed to a specifc person could contain anthrax :)

Advertisement