Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bin laden video.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

It's well known that Bin Laden wants an polarised christian-muslim war of ideologies. Bush has given him exactly that, so I would expect that Bin Laden would like to see a continuation of Bush and his self destructive policies.

By releasing a tape criticising US Foreign Policy, Bin Laden has now effectively removed 'Foreign Policy' as a campaign issue. If Kerry now makes any critique about foreign policy, he will be accused of siding with Bin Laden. He'll have difficulty trying to hammer home jobs & the economy now too, because all the attention is on Bin Laden.

Bin Laden is playing the US public like a cat teasing a mouse and has handed the election to Bush. The polls are already drifting back towards Bush.

It would appear that the president of the USA is no longer the most powerful man in the world, but a man in a cave with a camcorder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

RuggieBear wrote:
    forgive me for sounding stoopid here...but is this proper evidence that the ****er is still alive?
    Have you read this thread fully?

Yes, he mentions Kerry as the opposition candidate. Kerry only came forward as the democratic candidate a few months back and everyone thought it would be Edwards.

So the video is no older than the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

syke wrote:
    Have you read this thread fully?

Yes, he mentions Kerry as the opposition candidate. Kerry only came forward as the democratic candidate a few months back and everyone thought it would be Edwards.

So the video is no older than the summer.

Yeah...but just making sure. :D I've found a lot of the other tapes/recorings have been ambigous and could have been made at anytime. This (to my admitedly limited knowledge) seems to be the first credible evidence that he is still in a cave somewhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

The polls are already drifting back towards Bush.

Not as far as I can see, Kerry's pulled it back to level-pegging in the national vote according to most polls. Given how close we are to the election, we're not going to know what effect (if any) OBL's video has had until after the vote's over.

I think ArcadeGame might be right in that this may remind a lot of people that Bush has done very little to catch OBL, who is still merrily taunting the US from some undisclosed location.

Having not read the whole transcript yet, I'm still a little unsure of OBL's intentions with this announcement. The timing indicates he wants to influence the election, but if that was the case surely he'd have been a bit more explicit in his words? He doesn't really come out and say anything like "Vote Kerry!" at any stage ...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    Heard him on the 0700 news this morning on radio one saying that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Three different translations, from the US, Europe and Middle East. I don't think there's that much of a difference in content when you get right down to it, but it's interesting how different the english is, if you get my drift. Must be quite difficult to translate middle eastern languages by the look of it.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

George W. Bush is the best thing that ever happened to Al Qaeda. Recruitment must be up tenfold or hundredfold on previous generations. Investors that see the corrupt West bombing the middle east and syphoning off cheap oil must be queuing up at the door to pump money into the organisation.

Now, thats not the way I see things myself, its hyperbole, but if I was an Arab who was sick of seeing the Middle-East f*cked up by the West, would I be sympathetic to Al Qaeda? Its pretty likely. And it seems that this stunt is aimed at keeping GWB in power, and continuing to keep Al Qaeda counting the coffers, and raking in recruits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

dahamsta wrote:
    Three different translations, from the US, Europe and Middle East. I don't think there's that much of a difference in content when you get right down to it, but it's interesting how different the english is, if you get my drift. Must be quite difficult to translate middle eastern languages by the look of it.

adam
    Is it just me or does the translation sound like a Last Will and Testament from OBL?
    When he says, "Any (presidential) mandate which does not play havoc with our security would automatically ensure its own security."
    Is he saying, "Bush is play havoc with my security (and I don't know how long I can hold out)"?

And for all you tinfoil-hat wearing folks out there OBL is in China!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Can someone explain something to me?

How is George W Bush considered by the American people to the better military leader? It's widely known that he was a deserter in the Texas Air Reserve, never fought a battle (other than with his "personal demons") in his life and quite obviously doesn't know the difference between a scalpel and a broadsword.

Yes, we all know about the "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" smear campaign but that was convincingly debunked.

When one candidate is a decorated war veteran who has experience of command and the other's nearest experience is running for cover and later jumping aboard a naval vessel in flightgear and pronouncing victory years before such a thing will be true, how on earth can you expect the pretender to be a better commander in chief?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Sleepy wrote:

When one candidate is a decorated war veteran who has experience of command and the other's nearest experience is running for cover and later jumping aboard a naval vessel in flightgear and pronouncing victory years before such a thing will be true, how on earth can you expect the pretender to be a better commander in chief?

[Karl Rove]But he's a flip-flopping liberal senator from Massachusetts/wrong war, wrong place, wrong time[/Karl Rove]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

[Karl Rove]But he's a flip-flopping liberal senator from Massachusetts/wrong war, wrong place, wrong time[/Karl Rove]
    The sheer idiocy of it all is unbelievable... but stangely gripping at the same time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

Bush's image as a strong military leader is just the result of a strong campaign advertising him as such. They have a Gerogre Bush Action Man figure where he is dressed like a fighter pilot you know. Also his body language is moderately aggressive I think, and his stupid behaviour probably fits in with some American Pattonesque stereotype of what a general acts like.

Edit: I saw him on the news last night and he was shown standing in front of a fighter plane, wearing what liooked like a pilot's jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

The good news is Bin Laden thinks he's fighting the Soviet Union which I believe makes him nearly as dumb as Bush

Bin Laden: Goal is to bankrupt U.S.

He's re-fighting the previous war - classic mistake (a bit like invading Iraq ;) )

So who is the super power backer this time around? US support was decisive in Afghanistan in the 80s.

Isn't bankrupting the USA Bush's job anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Sleepy wrote:
    Can someone explain something to me?

How is George W Bush considered by the American people to the better military leader? It's widely known that he was a deserter in the Texas Air Reserve, never fought a battle (other than with his "personal demons") in his life and quite obviously doesn't know the difference between a scalpel and a broadsword.

Yes, we all know about the "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" smear campaign but that was convincingly debunked.

What annoys me as well is all this crap the Republicans come out with about not changing commanders in the middle of a war. History is full of example of incompetent commanders getting fired in the middle of wars/campaigns - that's how you win ffs.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

MrNuked wrote:
    They have a Gerogre Bush Action Man figure where he is dressed like a fighter pilot you know.
    I thought you were joking but then I saw this:
    123116.jpg

eek.gif!!!

Heh, there's a site about the accessories here.

He's an action figure. Oh dear God. Maybe he can lead G.I. Joe now...I really really really can't see why he'd be voted back in based on his somewhat craptacular efforts in Iraq lately. I'm flummoxed and need to lie down. Maybe I'll be smiling in four more days, instead of crying for four more years...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

He's an action figure. Oh dear God. Maybe he can lead G.I. Joe now...
    Or debate Ralph Nader...

debate_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

ixoy wrote:
    I thought you were joking but then I saw this:
    123116.jpg

He's an action figure. Oh dear God.

I bought one recently.

All I got was a box and an attendance record, but no doll....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/1938460.stm

These are the ones I had in mind.

Advertisement