Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clocks Go Back????

• 29-10-2004 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

tonight or Sunday night?

Thought it was Sunday night myself, end of the month and all but have someone here trying to convince me otherwise.

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

They go back at 2am on Saturday night I think

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

spring forward / fall back or something ,
    don't really care have one of dem radio clocks that sets its time automatically, ain't technology great :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Goes back at 01:00 AM on Sunday according to the GMT website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Saturday night/Sunday morning

The clocks will always go forward and back on a Saturday night/Sunday morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

More to the point WHY do we insist on this daft ritual?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

it's a pity cos it'll be so dark in the evenings now.. walking home at 5pm it'll be like midnight!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

What's depressing as hell is going to your last lecture in the dark...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

aye but that extra hour (for as long as you percieve it to be) is just great, no beating that durning the week, i'm sure there would be some days i'd be tempted to trade a few hours in the evening for a bit more in the morning when the cruel world is trying to pull me kicking and screaming from my warm cosy bed, safe from the evil traffic and ****ty weather, only OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS will you get it, evil world...not a morning person :D durrrrrrrrrrrr.

rainbow kirby
    Location: 127.0.0.1 <--- heh heh, gawd time to get rid of the peee ceee, must not laugh must run away and hide. Almost as pointless and amuzing as " my mammies tummy "

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Cool... This means more drinking time tomorrow night! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

ya id realy like to know
    could someone in the know please explain it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

mike65 wrote:
    It's those freemason milkmen I tells ya.

Bilderberg don't have to wire our houses when the milkmen already know all and see all. And lots more for the Pat Mustards out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Its farmers apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

I heard it used top be a two hour thing in the ol'days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

It's to make the mornings brighter, and thus safer for children walking to school, motorists, etc. It used to be two hours at one stage. Another year it was abolished, but that apparently led to much disarray. In the dead of winter it does help, because otherwise it wouldn't get bright until 9am..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Lady

surley it means it's darker in the morning if it goes back an hour....right?

This morning, it was getting bright at 08:00, tomorrow morning it will be 07:00. As we head towards mid winter, it will begin to get brighter later in the mornings culminating in it getting bright after 08:00. If the clocks did not go back, i would be after 09:00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Kids still walk to school??

I thought they are all ferried to school in large fleets of SUVs these days!!

No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

It has to do with farming before electrcity, gives the farmers brighter mornings. Totally outdated now though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Aren't they phasing out Daylight saving time in the UK in a couple of years time...

Aren't they phasing out Daylight saving time in the UK in a couple of years time...

Nearly every year this comes up. England and Wales say yes. Scotland and NI say no. I expect in the next few years there will be a split.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Oh god I hope they abolish it, I can't stand when it gets dark at 4:30 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I for one vote that we all evacuate our homes for an city deep under ground which is lighted artificially so there wil be no more arguments of this nature!

a city deep under ground which is lighted artificially

If those lights happen to be fluorescent then you've probably come up with a better definition of Hell than Dante himself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

mike65 wrote:
    Nearly every year this comes up. England and Wales say yes. Scotland and NI say no. I expect in the next few years there will be a split.

Mike.

Were would that leave us.....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I dont think we are tied to the UK system, but we tag a long with it anyway :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Well some of us enjoy that extra hour in bed in the morning. Like that Carlsberg ad.

Where would that leave us? It would be interesting esp if NI kept the current system. Prolly end up keeping time with NI (and I dont mean turning the clocks back 300 years! ;) ) for political reasons that make no sense.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭ando

damn clocks, grr I hate it when it gets so dark so early

carefulnow.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

Funny thing is the centre of time for the world which is grenwich has a nice big digital clock above the meridian line and it was an hour out by me, the reason they don't bother changing it! Waste of time nowadays adjusting watches, clocks etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Guvnor wrote:
    Funny thing is the centre of time for the world which is grenwich has a nice big digital clock above the meridian line and it was an hour out by me, the reason they don't bother changing it! Waste of time nowadays adjusting watches, clocks etc.

Yeah but Daylight Saving Time is actually GMT+1 so it would make sense for the clock in Greenwich to be "an hour out". (if that makes sense)

Also DST is too give us an extra hour of daylight in the evening during the Summer. When the clocks go back today they are returning to normal time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Stark wrote:
    Oh god I hope they abolish it, I can't stand when it gets dark at 4:30 :(
    Winter is the default. :(
    Guvnor wrote:
    Because that clock is GMT (never changes), not BST (changes twice a year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Coconut

All you ever wanted to know, and then some:

http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/c.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm working tonight. I doubt I'll get paid for the extra hour. I hate everyone about to go to bed at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Coconut wrote:
    All you ever wanted to know, and then some:

http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/c.html
    thank you. good site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

An extra hour of daylight in the summer evenings when you would expect to have better weather conditions to enjoy the outdoors more. If we did not change, that extra hour of daylight would be in the very early morning when the majority of people are tucked up in bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Stark wrote:
    If those lights happen to be fluorescent then you've probably come up with a better definition of Hell than Dante himself.
    What is it about fluorescent light that's so annoying? I can never rationalise it to myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

daveirl wrote:

If we had winter time the whole year round the sun would be blasting in your window at 4am and it would start to get bright at 2:30 in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Personally, I like this time of year and don't mind the clocks going back. But, I agree, it seems a pretty pointless exercise in many ways these days and perhaps should be considered for scrapping.

• Advertisement

What is it about fluorescent light that's so annoying? I can never rationalise it to myself.

The flicker. Gives the same effect as looking at a bad CRT screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Maybe of interest to some....

A screensaver that shows the earth in shadow and light, as well as showing time zones. Fully customisable for towns, if you know the latitude and longiitude of your town, you can insert it.
    Sunclock

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement